Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transit based campers

Options
  • 09-07-2015 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Avoid or ok?

We're currently looking at a 2008 transit based Carado motorhome as an upgrade from our converted VW T5. The layout is perfect for us as is the size (can't be too long due to driveway size).

The mileage is low and all the running gear seem in good nick.

There are a couple of spots where I can see some rust starting - this is all surface as far as I can see and smacks of thin paint. I'm aware that transits have quite the reputation for rust but I wonder how bad that particular generation are?

Given that we're planning on keeping whatever we get for quite a few years I'm wondering if it would be a good move.

I'm not against giving it a good clean all over and waxoiling it if that helps - it's only the chassis and cab to look after.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Avoid or ok?

We're currently looking at a 2008 transit based Carado motorhome as an upgrade from our converted VW T5. The layout is perfect for us as is the size (can't be too long due to driveway size).

The mileage is low and all the running gear seem in good nick.

There are a couple of spots where I can see some rust starting - this is all surface as far as I can see and smacks of thin paint. I'm aware that transits have quite the reputation for rust but I wonder how bad that particular generation are?

Given that we're planning on keeping whatever we get for quite a few years I'm wondering if it would be a good move.

I'm not against giving it a good clean all over and waxoiling it if that helps - it's only the chassis and cab to look after.

Any thoughts?

Which engine, fwd / rwd ?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Lochlannach

It's an imported (German) LHD rear wheel drive with the 2.4 engine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Rusting can be a problem with the base vehicle part of many campers, they are after all originally built for the commercial market where life expectancy in terms of time (not mileage) can be relatively short so serious rustproofing would probably be a bit of an over kill.

Why not include in your budget the cost of getting any rust present properly treated and then giving the Ford bits something like a 3M Body Schutz treatment for long term protection of your investment.

I have no issue with sorting what I've seen (it's only just starting to show up based on my inspection) and allowing for some future work to help prolong it.

It's more a worry that with the transits reputation I'd find myself in a situation where it's completely falling to bits in a few years despite my best efforts leaving me with big problems to sort.

For example I haven't seen many reports on rust for comparative (i.e. similar age) fiat base chassis though that's not saying they're not susceptible.

I do agree that any vehicle will eventually succumb to the tinworm but reports suggest these are more prone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Neither the Transit, nor the Carado would be considered very desirable options tbh, in the trade, compared to the say the Ducato and the likes of Adria, Frankia, Carthago, Euramobil etc.

• Advertisement

Thanks Aidan.

That's good to know - I'd have thought the carado, being a subsidiary of hymer, would be ok.

It seems quite well put together and decent quality with all the normal names on all the equipment inside.

Thanks Aidan.

That's good to know - I'd have thought the carado, being a subsidiary of hymer, would be ok.

It seems quite well put together and decent quality with all the normal names on all the equipment inside.

Ah sher nearly all makes use Thetford, Truma, Dometic etc. On the continent Carado would be used a lot for the rental market more so than the private buyers.

This one has done bugger all so unlikely to have been rented.

It's tempting given it's a reasonable price and meets our criteria. Based on what you're saying though it also won't do it's any favors if we look to change it in a few year

It matches the layout, length and budget (albeit the budget could be revisited for the right van meeting the other 2). Unfortunately, not many out there do so we're looking at a limited number all the time.

Ah if you like it, and it's good, money right etc, drive on, just be aware that it may not hold its value like some of the others. Tbh there are not many premium MHs built on the humble Tranny.

That's the thing though, I have been having doubts ;-)

• Advertisement

Going on a road trip tomorrow top look at a couple of others including one your direction too ;-)

Advertisement