Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please ID this shrub

Options
  • 09-07-2015 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

I have a couple of unidentified plants growing really well in my back garden garden and they are starting to flower. No idea what they are. I think I planted them a few years ago but I've noticed a lot of VERY similar plants growing in the local hedgerows....so similar that I am almost 100% sure they are the same plant. Just wondering if anyone can identify it. The photos attached were taken of the hedgerow version this morning. My back garden plants are also just going into flower too.

20150709_082558_zpsyz7gz1cz.jpg

20150709_082608_zpsxzmm97ku.jpg

20150709_082618_zpszdqt56hu.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Elder, probably "sown" by birds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Looks like elderflower -- sambucus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

Ah perfect. Wasn't sure what it looked like when bigger. I have planted a few out in a new bit of garden I have acquired as but they are tiny at the moment. I take it that it's easy to grow new Elder from seed? If I were to collect some seed, would I have a decent chance of getting something productive going, seeing as the stuff can be sown via birds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

highdef wrote: »
    If I were to collect some seed, would I have a decent chance of getting something productive going, seeing as the stuff can be sown via birds?

Yes, no problem. Gather the ripe berries - if you can get there before the birds! - remove the seeds and sow them into a seed tray/pot.
    Taking cuttings would be easier I'd say and would give quicker results. A quick google search will give you good pointers.

Thanks lottpaul - I had a look about taking cuttings and it looks both quicker and easier, result wise. I've noticed a few other elders popping up out of the ground in the borders in the back garden. Plus there was an old hawthorn hedge that was cut back recently in the field behind me and and I noticed a lot if non hawthorn looking growth. Went out to have a look and it's yet more elder! I think I may be making lots of wine soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Be careful what you wish for with Elder. It self seeds very happily and will take over if given a chance.

Yes, I have since found little baby elders around the flower beds but it's easy to get rid of them when they are young. I actually moved some today from a place they were growing to a place I'd like them to grow :-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Elderflower wine is also worth a go if you're into that kind of thing, very tasty. If your planting them in the garden, the black elder is an attractive variety to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

smacl wrote: »
    Elderflower wine is also worth a go if you're into that kind of thing, very tasty. If your planting them in the garden, the black elder is an attractive variety to consider.

I've wild elder in the hedge, and elderflower champers is a treat on a sunny evening. I've Black Elder in a border and it's much easier on the eye.

Advertisement