Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Timer - Would I be able?

Options
  • 09-07-2015 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi,

There is a charity triathlon coming up at the start of September. There is both a sprint distance (0.75k Swim, 20k cycle, 5km run) and also International standard (1.5k Swim, 40k cycle, 10km run).

I would be interested in competing in this as it is something different. I would consider myself relatively fit and a little info to give you an idea of the level of fitness:
    I play top club level GAA and hurling in Dublin.
    I have done several 100km cycles over the last number of years while recovering from a knee injury with no issue.
    Have done 10km runs before and would finish in less than 50mins while not killing myself.
    Swimming would be the weakest part of it for me. I did train as a lifeguard during my teenage years (about 15years ago) but completely let the swimming go to the dogs.

I would swim maybe once a month in the local gym pool and would prob do 40-50 lengths in total but it would be broken into 8/10x5 lengths. I obviously wont be able to stop during the triathlon and thats why I was wondering about if 1.5k is too much too soon (about 8 weeks out now).

I would love to really push myself as I am a competitive person and think it would give a great sense of achievement and try the International standard but I just don't know if I would be able for it.

Anyone with any thought on it based on current fitness levels?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

You'll be grand. Spend some more time in the pool to get more comfortable though. Once on land you won't have a problem especially the shorter sprint distance

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If its open water youll need to get some practise in. It is a very different environment to the pool. But otherwise I see no reason not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Get yourself into the sea once a week from now to then. And it's not hard to stop for a break in a wetsuit if needed. it's more difficult to get used to the open water & arms & legs all over the place. I'd say go short distance for your first attempt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Is it a sea, river or lake swim? Either way you'll need to practice; temps, currents and waves all make open water very different from a pool. Not to mention the scrum of bodies.
    You'll need a willing accomplice (don't swim OW alone) and a half-decent-fitting wetsuit.
    It sounds like you are well able for the rest, but I'd stick to the sprint distance for your first outing.

Edit; just saw 8 weeks. Go for the Olympic! If you give it a good effort you'd be up to that standard in 8 weeks. Get 2-3 swims in per week, and a few dips in OW to acclimatise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I did my first sprint around a month ago and the swim was in a lake. It was really disorientating at the start - I actually had to stop after about 10 metres to get my composure. Technique was out the window. Saying that I did settle into it after a while. I have little swimming experience beyond the odd swim in a pool (around 1k albeit non stop). My time in a pool for 750m would be around 16 - 17 minutes. In the lake it was 19 minutes.

Despite that I actually really enjoyed it and did my second one last weekend. This one was in a river, was downstream (albeit not a huge flow) and the temperature was a bit higher. That swim was under 12 minutes. Enjoyed this one even more.

The bug is well and truly caught and I cant wait for the next one

In short - go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Turkish1

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I should just bite the bullet and go for it. Swim is open water. Will try get out in open water once a week before that.

Will see how I get on for next week or two before deciding on the sprint or full version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Brittas bay?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Turkish1

Steroo wrote: »
    Brittas bay?

Yes that is the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I've heard the Brittas bay tri can be a tough swim it's be shortened more than once due to conditions afaik. If I were you I'd definitely go for the shorter distance and get plenty of practice in swimming in the sea.

OW swimming is different to pool swimming but sea swimming is also different to lake/river swims imo.

Good luck with it. It's a fairly small field in comparison to other races.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Brittas Bay is also parallel to the shore, so you can swim in your depth.
    In previous years, I've seen a few "walk the swim" against the current - respectable times, too!

• Advertisement
Advertisement