Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs we (sorta) ruined

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

guile4582 wrote: »
    myself and a mate used to meet there every few months, have a nice catch up and be treated to some nice Bob Dylan and such by the barman. this is pre hipster era too. was such a great place. the place was never empty but was nicely quiet as previous poster says

The place got destroyed during the big freeze/thaw a few years go. Serious water damage. The owner renovated it to the max....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

MrWalsh wrote: »
    The Wexford Inn before it became hipster central was a great spot.

And theres a place on Wexford St now called Against the Grain that used to be a real spit and sawdust joint 20 years ago. I remember being at a do upstairs in it and the floor was actually sagging in the centre - the old elf and safety was pretty lax!

Jaysus, the Wexford Inn is a blast from the past. Sure, Whelan's has been there for 25 years this year.

Against the Grain went through about 10 incarnations before finally becoming what it is now. Some weird choices over the years, Nasdaq the bar? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Birneybau wrote: »
    Jaysus, the Wexford Inn is a blast from the past. Sure, Whelan's has been there for 25 years this year.

Against the Grain went through about 10 incarnations before finally becoming what it is now. Some weird choices over the years, Nasdaq the bar? :confused:

I know! The Wexford Inn become The Mean Fiddler, it may have been something else after, I think its Opium now? I stand to be corrected.

Yeah, Im trying desperately to remember the name of Against the Grain as I knew it - it was some short easy name like Dalys or Keoghs or something along those lines. It seems to be a bit of a cursed spot - always changing hands.

I hadnt realised Whelans was only there 25 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I know! The Wexford Inn become The Mean Fiddler, it may have been something else after, I think its Opium now? I stand to be corrected.

Mean Fiddler - Mono - Village - Opium

• Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Yeah, Im trying desperately to remember the name of Against the Grain as I knew it - it was some short easy name like Dalys or Keoghs or something along those lines. It seems to be a bit of a cursed spot - always changing hands.

I hadnt realised Whelans was only there 25 years?

Yeah, having lots of special gigs for their 25th anniversary of 'live music' this year, so maybe it had just been a pub beforehand?

As for the current Against the Grain, I can remember it as Da2, Carnivale, Nasdaq and it's current incarnation. Always thought that site was cursed.

• Advertisement

anncoates wrote: »
    Mean Fiddler - Mono - Village - Opium

Ah very good, I think Charlie Chawke had originally owned it as The Wexford Inn when it was extremely old school!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The Bachelor Inn. I remember my granda bringing me in for crackers and cheese and up until a few years ago I used to go myself after he passed away.
    Then they (I think Fitzgerald took it) changed it and a proper old Dublin pub was lost

Edit: Does anyone here know French's bar in Gorey? I wonder if there are any pubs like that in Dublin

Ah jaysus not the bachelors, I saw neon lights walking past it a while back and feared for the worst :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

if you like to still drink in pubs that have not changed much at all in the last 20-30 years try dorset street

the findlater, auld triangle, long island (joxers) delahuntys

sadly the bermington is now closed though :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The Lincolns Inn (corner of Sth.Leinster Street/Nassau Street/Clare Street) - it was everything you could want in a pub - good beer, burnt toasties in cellophane, all the staff called either Pat or Paddy (except for Alan), they would keep mail for you, answer the phone for you and lie if required, closed on Sundays so that you could dry out, lock-ins during Holy Hour, manky jacks, and whole pub was in danger of falling into the cellar so rotten was the floor from all the beer spilled on it. Great times there in the late 1970s - then it closed - reopened and expanded into a swanky establishment now but I've never been inside. :D

Lincolns-Inn-1.jpg?mtime=20141017124639

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Not Dublin, but Paddy Rohan's in Nenagh for the uninitiated, hasn't changed much inside the bar since it was established in 1857

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Paddy-Rohans-Pub/130144147012471?sk=photos_stream

• Advertisement

Birneybau wrote: »
    As for the current Against the Grain, I can remember it as Da2, Carnivale, Nasdaq and it's current incarnation. Always thought that site was cursed.

Clarkes!! It was Clarkes when I first knew it. 11 Wexford St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Del.Monte wrote: »
    The Lincolns Inn (corner of Sth.Leinster Street/Nassau Street/Clare Street) - it was everything you could want in a pub - good beer, burnt toasties in cellophane, all the staff called either Pat or Paddy (except for Alan), they would keep mail for you, answer the phone for you and lie if required, closed on Sundays so that you could dry out, lock-ins during Holy Hour, manky jacks, and whole pub was in danger of falling into the cellar so rotten was the floor from all the beer spilled on it. Great times there in the late 1970s - then it closed - reopened and expanded into a swanky establishment now but I've never been inside. :D

And the pool table downstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,326 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Fairview Inn... mutilated into the Players Lounge... then burnt down...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

A Disgrace wrote: »
    True, but the bar remains relatively the same (with the exception of the large opening they made to extend it)

Bar is totally different from what it was in the 90s - still looked like one of those old country 'pub in someone's front room' bar in those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Bar is totally different from what it was in the 90s - still looked like one of those old country 'pub in someone's front room' bar in those days.

Ah okay, shame so

The Lancer in Rathmines before it was knocked back to become the station and then Toast, although I still like the latter.

The Falcon where the (new version of ) Bleeding Horse is now.

anncoates wrote: »
    The Lancer in Rathmines before it was knocked back to become the station and then Toast, although I still like the latter.

The Falcon where the (new version of ) Bleeding Horse is now.

The Bleeding Horse is gone!?!?!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The Bleeding Horse is gone!?!?!

I think he meant it used to be The Falcon before it was The Bleeding Horse.

Actually think it was historically the bleeding horse, then the Falcon and is now the bleeding horse again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Del.Monte wrote: »

Lincolns-Inn-1.jpg?mtime=20141017124639

We used to all it "The Stinkin' Bin". Loved it.
    Went into the new incarnation once - awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Pubs we (sorta) ruined

All of them where you can't hear yourself because of roaring televisions all over the shop (and when they're not roaring, roaring music).

Pubs. Chats between humans. Craic. People. Not machines all over the place disturbing our conversations.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

TrueDub wrote: »
    To me the biggest tragedy was the loss of the Norseman, in Temple Bar (last time I looked it was called Farringtons).
    It went back to being The Norseman again last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

BeerNut wrote: »
    It went back to being The Norseman again last year.

Unfortunately in name only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Wouldn't agree that The Thomas House is ruined at all.

Kev & Gar have done great things to it. The people who ran it immediately prior to them had the place almost ruined as far as I recall. There was bras hanging above the bar for f*ck's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Great shout on The Lincoln. Its seriously sh it these days. It was great years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

A Disgrace wrote: »
    My original post alluded to pubs like these – how protected are they really?

If the fate of the 18th century Mother Redcaps Tavern (which has been decaying away behind closed doors for 10 years now, having been sold for €11 million in 2005) is an indicator I'd say they have very little protection other than whatever public opposition/lobbying An Taisce can organise.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

gaiscioch wrote: »
    If the fate of the 18th century Mother Redcaps Tavern (which has been decaying away behind closed doors for 10 years now, having been sold for €11 million in 2005) is an indicator I'd say they have very little protection other than whatever public opposition/lobbying An Taisce can organise.

Sadly, I agree - whatever about interiors, the exterior of Mother Redcaps isn't even being afforded protection, as the whole thing is due to be demolished

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

I liked Qbar when it had 3 floors before it became riverbar.

I spent alot of nights there durring the "Celtic Tiger".

Simon2015 wrote: »
    I liked Qbar when it had 3 floors before it became riverbar.

I spent alot of nights there durring the "Celtic Tiger".

The Harp? Always remember it a bit rough, prone to violence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Rasher gehratys on Wicklow street opposite brown thomas, then it was AKA and then base bar and then Madison then something else, now it's a small pub with that hidden cocktail barr downstairs, don't remember the name...

Advertisement