Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs we (sorta) ruined

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

MrWalsh wrote: »
    The Harp? Always remember it a bit rough, prone to violence.

I saw alot of fights outside Q bar but never actually inside.

Even RTE's Prime time showed footage of people fighting outside Q bar when ever they did a show on alcohol abuse. Its like you were guaranteed to see fights outside the place at the weekend if you hung around for long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I liked The Lincoln's Inn up till a few years ago. But when it re-opened and I went back the barman tried to short change me. Really put me off.

Bernard Shaw used to be a nice little place for a pint. I can't say I hate everything the hipsters have done with it but it's sort of up its own ass.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Rasher gehratys on Wicklow street opposite brown thomas, then it was AKA and then base bar and then Madison then something else, now it's a small pub with that hidden cocktail barr downstairs, don't remember the name...

It was Wilde and now it's called Mary's Bar. I haven't been inside since for at least the last 3 incarnations :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

miamee wrote: »
    It was Wilde and now it's called Mary's Bar. I haven't been inside since for at least the last 3 incarnations :D

Mary's is a hipsters dream, though I will say in their defence no telly and no music. Quite nice for a pint and a chat actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Remember q bar having the same doorman as Messrs Maguire some time back......Shame ref Kennedy's though walked straight in and straight out again about 6 months ago.

As long as the Sackville remains open and untouched then all good!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    Remember q bar having the same doorman as Messrs Maguire some time back......Shame ref Kennedy's though walked straight in and straight out again about 6 months ago.

As long as the Sackville remains open and untouched then all good!

If you didnt get into Qbar you could walk right through from Messrs Maguire into Qbar.

Generally there was no problem getting into Messrs but the bouncers at Qbar were alot stricter and would often turn people away for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,572 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Birneybau wrote: »
    Yeah, having lots of special gigs for their 25th anniversary of 'live music' this year, so maybe it had just been a pub beforehand?

As for the current Against the Grain, I can remember it as Da2, Carnivale, Nasdaq and it's current incarnation. Always thought that site was cursed.

It was Clarkes too at one point. I remember watching it burn down the night the mtv awards were in the point. It's been a disaster ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Birneybau wrote: »
    Yeah, having lots of special gigs for their 25th anniversary of 'live music' this year, so maybe it had just been a pub beforehand?

As for the current Against the Grain, I can remember it as Da2, Carnivale, Nasdaq and it's current incarnation. Always thought that site was cursed.

Well recalled. Think it was called Feile at some point - before ATG I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Does the Royal Oak still remain untarnished would anyone know? Haven't been there in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

Does the Royal Oak still remain untarnished would anyone know? Haven't been there in a few years.

Sure is, Pat keeps things well in check up there. Great pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Simon2015 wrote: »
    If you didnt get into Qbar you could walk right through from Messrs Maguire into Qbar.

Generally there was no problem getting into Messrs but the bouncers at Qbar were alot stricter and would often turn people away for no reason.

I worked in Messrs maguires back before and when q bar opened. very different prospects alright. Same owners but diff targets. Incidentally almost the whole area of under westmoreland street and q bar, messers is a massive open area! You could play football down there...in theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I worked in Messrs maguires back before and when q bar opened. very different prospects alright. Same owners but diff targets. Incidentally almost the whole area of under westmoreland street and q bar, messers is a massive open area! You could play football down there...in theory.

Whats it used for?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Whats it used for?

Well years since I was down there..they were fitting out Qbar at the time, installing the walls,etc and the manager took us down to have a look...we couldnt go far but you could see that the area was absolutely massive..couldnt have imagined it was there. Maybe someone else knows more about that (underground) part of city?

basically we went through a partition door from "Qbar" and you could see the open area went on for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Very interesting whomitconcerns, thanks.

Advertisement