Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't know what to do with my Marketing Degree

• 09-07-2015 12:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭

I have recently completed a BA course in Marketing but I still don't know what to. Ive done a internship for 9 months where I was a social media manager and events manager. I thought that it would be great but I just find that office work isn't for me. Its too boring. I was thinking that my degree could be useful for other things.

I have thought about joining the Army were its certainly not boring but I dont think its the right fit for me.
    I was thinking about becoming a secondary school teacher, teaching business. How would I go about this?

Also any other tips on what I could do with my degree? I think I would enjoy teaching or some sort of sports coaching as well. Thought about doing a gym instructor course but from what I hear thats a really sh!tty job.

I would love a bit of help as I've been stuck for a while now. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

No can really tell you what to do but why not try out a few different jobs to give yourself and idea of what you do like. You may have to do extra modules to get a marketing degree recognised for business teaching, and then would have to go about getting qualified in another subject to get a job.
    Would you think about volunteering for a while. Can be a good way to try things out. Even if it's only a day or few hours a week while you have another job to pay the bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

If you don't have a 2.1 in your college degree you'll find it hard to get secondary teaching. They won't be taking h dips until next year.

Are the army hiring again or are they still on the embargo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

I do have a 2.1 in my degree. There not hiring at the moment. Can you do a HDIP with a Marketing degree?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

deadybai wrote: »
    I do have a 2.1 in my degree. There not hiring at the moment. Can you do a HDIP with a Marketing degree?

You can technically do the HDIP with any degree at all. They only want the business. The thing is will the Teaching Council accept your degree to teach any 2nd level subjects. There's a list on their website and if your degree isn't there you can write and ask them.

Keep in mind that for years now you had to get a certain amount of points to get the course, and more if you were trying to be a business teacher because of the vast amount of people trying to be business teachers. You may have to go to England to get a job in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Did you contact the course leader of Marketing in WIT to maybe help you. He genuinely does have contacts everywhere and would happily help you I would imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 AntAunt

You could also try setting up your own business? Having a marketing degree will be really useful getting a business off the ground, no matter what you do. Expertise in digital marketing and social media will boost sales and your business profile really quickly, while letting you do something more creative or hands-on e.g. personal fitness instructor, freelance English teacher etc

Advertisement