Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Triple Channel RAM

Options
  • 09-07-2015 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭

Looking to get some more RAM in my machine. Currently have 6GB (3 x 2GB) sticks so was thinking get another 6GB, 12GB seems plenty. So the issue is finding triple channel memory, there isn't much available.

The RAM I currently have is 10600 have found some ram on amazon which is 12800
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/G-Skill-6GB-1600MHz-PC12800-DDR3/dp/B001K4PWXA/ref=sr_1_104?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1436445260&sr=1-104

Would it be fine to use this with the other RAM, impression I get is that it is but it will just work at the slower speed

The other option I was think was trying to buy 3 single 2GB stick, would this be ok.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Has your board 6 RAM slots? If so, then buying another 3 2gb sticks is useless.

If the board supports Max 10600 then you can put in higher speed ram, it'll just be slowed to the speed of the board

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Has your board 6 RAM slots? If so, then buying another 3 2gb sticks is useless.

Board has 6 slots yes. Why? Surely its an increase from 6GB to 12GB total ram or am I missing something here.
    If the board supports Max 10600 then you can put in higher speed ram, it'll just be slowed to the speed of the board

Ok, not sure on what the board supports, in work at the moment can't check, was more asking in terms of this. 6 slots total, 3 slots with 10600, 3 slots with 12800.

As it turns out found this:
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/1333+Low+Voltage/24754/6GB-KIT+G-Skill+DDR3+PC1333%2C+CL+9.article
    so can match the speed of existing ram so will probably go with that.

Thanks for reply, appreciate if you can explain regarding the first point though, I'm confused here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Had a typo, should have said "if not, 3 2gb will be useless"

Finding same brand is preferable but if you can't then getting RAM the same capacity and speed is good enough.

Ah grand, thanks for that, had me confused, its actually for mates machine so want to make sure all is ok. Hadn't come across Triple channel before so it threw me a bit. Cheers

The more I read on RAM the more confused I get.

The motherboard is a Asus P6X58D-E, which accord to their website https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P6X58DE/ supports 1066, 1333 and 2000 (o.c.).

So does this mean it will run 1600 but will throttle by default but could potentially OC if you play about in the bios. Having awful trouble finding triple channel 1333 to go with the exisiting ram that is in it, which is 1333, and looking at in the region of £60 on amazon.

Would best option just be to take what is in it out and put in something like this 12GB Corsair Vengence 1600 kit rather than getting 6gb of 1600 to mix with the 1333 already in it. Not much of a price difference from the looks of things.

Appreciate any advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

I'd sell your existing ram on adverts and buy the kit off amazon.It will save you any hassle or conflicts.

I just sold a triple channel kit (3x2gb 1600mhz) for 45e so even if you got 30-35e for the slower stuff it would help offset the cost of new "hassle free" kit :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

cruizer101 wrote: »
    The more I read on RAM the more confused I get.

The motherboard is a Asus P6X58D-E, which accord to their website https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P6X58DE/ supports 1066, 1333 and 2000 (o.c.).

So does this mean it will run 1600 but will throttle by default but could potentially OC if you play about in the bios. Having awful trouble finding triple channel 1333 to go with the exisiting ram that is in it, which is 1333, and looking at in the region of £60 on amazon.

Would best option just be to take what is in it out and put in something like this 12GB Corsair Vengence 1600 kit rather than getting 6gb of 1600 to mix with the 1333 already in it. Not much of a price difference from the looks of things.

Appreciate any advice.

Do you actually need a ram upgrade? Is it limiting you in anyway? Just keep in mind the next socket for intel will be DDR4 so you wont be able to re-use this ram if you upgrade down the line.

I know you can sell on second hand, but if you get this kit you will have 18GB on your hands to offload!

Though i presume you would be selling on the current kit to part fund this one, unfortunately though most of the demand is for pairs, so you may be left with the odd dimm, or to sell it on its own.

Of course if you need more ram there is no getting round it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

cruizer101 wrote:

I have the same mobo. I had 6gb in it for years. Sold that last year on adverts and bought a 12gb 1600 kit from adverts too, still 3 sticks and it's running fine at that speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm still using 6GB of RAM for gaming and I have no problems with any game using up the 6GB. I play GTA V maxed out and also Battlefield 4 maxed as well.

Thanks for all advice, its for a friends machine. When playing rust it is eating up all the ram, not sure if effecting anything else. Recommended RAM for Rust is 8gb which seems very high. Did a bit of googling and there are other complaining about how much ram it is using. Will probably go for 3 x 4GB stick anyway. Cheers for replies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement