Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ribs

Options
  • 09-07-2015 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Anyone have a good recipe for Ribs? Saw Donal Skehan recipe recently which was simple and did look tasty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

I like a dry rub made of two tablespoons light brown sugar, a teaspoon of mustard powder, two teaspoons smoked paprika, a teaspoon garlic powder, plenty of salt and black pepper. I rub it well in all over the ribs, and leave them sitting on a rack over a tinfoil lined sheet pan, for a couple of hours beforehand if at all possible, then cook (covered with tinfoil) for about two hours at 150. Finish on the barbeque or under the grill with barbeque sauce, brushing and flipping as the sauce caramelises.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 tdiman

wow, sounds tasty - making me hungry now!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I made ribs recently for the first time - and in the slow cooker. I used a rub similar to the above - smoked paprika, garlic powder, brown sugar, salt - and left it on low all day while I was at work, in a cupful of coke.

When I got home the meat was falling apart. Then I simply mixed a smoky bbq sauce (shop bought) with some of the cooking liquid, and then popped them in a hot oven for 20 minutes.

They were actually amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭choo choo man

Probably a stupid question, but, what would you ask for in the butchers shop?. Most of the ribs I have seen in butchers have very little meat on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The ribs you describe are probably baby back ribs. Spare ribs are the meatier variety.

Check out this link for more info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭choo choo man

Thanks The Hill Billy. I will give this a go at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Cooked two racks of baby back ribs in the slow cooker last weekend. No rub; just coke, onions and some red wine vinegar. Removed, lathered in barbecue sauce and oven for 20 minutes. So easy and so tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I marinade mine in a Ziploc bag in the fridge with soy sauce, honey (marmalade also works a treat), minced chillies, ginger & garlic, & a couple of teaspoons of Thai 7 spice.

When time comes to grill the ribs, I sometimes chuck the remaining marinade into a pan, bring to the boil & simmer gently for a few minutes, then pour over the cooked ribs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I've used this recipe several times, minus the peppercorns. Really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 gordon hatch

Ribs are one of my favourites. Spare ribs are my choice. In fact in Ireland the Spare ribs usually come with the belly still attached so you have the option of getting two cuts in one (the butcher will separate if you want).
    Be sure to take the membrane (pale white covering on bone side) off before cooking.

I have a Big Green Egg so can smoke mine in the traditional way. Rub should be on about 12-24 hrs before. 3 hours at 150f (2 hrs bone side down then flip for another 1hr.) Then wrap in double foil and pour cup of apple juice and cook until a toothpick goes straight through rib meat very easily. Finish with our without sauce.

That's my way but if you go to youtube and search for BBQwithFranklin he has amazing recipes and tutorials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The ribs you describe are probably baby back ribs. Spare ribs are the meatier variety.

Check out this link for more info.

Love that website name "mastering the flame" !!

Advertisement