Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surveys - The Accommodation and Property Forum

Options
  • 09-07-2015 4:46pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone wishing to post a survey or other research queries on the Accommodation and Property forum (including sub-forums) shall post it in this thread. This does not affect polls hosted on boards.ie.

Surveys or other research queries that are conducted as part of formal education (including but not limited to- research projects, and/or research from which students wish to write thesis, papers or other articles towards educational awards) can be added to this thread without notifying the moderators.

Surveys for any other purpose shall require explicit permission from the moderators first - send your request by private message to *all the forum moderators* and await approval before posting here.

If you wish your survey or other research queries to be critiqued, send a private message to the moderators.

In your post here, you must include:
    * Your name.
    * Your supervisors name.
    * The educational institute you are attending.
    * A single, non-dynamic link to the survey.
    * Your ethics statement.

In your post here, you must not include:
    * Anything that identifies or seeks to identify a boards.ie user or their account.
    * Images of any nature

In your submitted project / published results, you must include links and acknowledgements to www.boards.ie and to this thread.

If you have any issues or queries relating to this, send a private message to the moderators.

Links to surveys may be removed at the moderators' discretion.

If/when a survey has been completed- please PM the moderators- so we can update your post (if it is outside the window in which you can do so yourself).

No press or media related surveys permitted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mtsweeney

Hello Everyone,

My name is Marion Weymes, I'm a student at the University of Exeter studying for an MSc in Sustainable Development. I'm from Dublin and previously studied at Trinity College.

For my dissertation I am exploring the issue of energy efficiency in private rental accommodation in Dublin, in terms of the barriers and motivations for energy efficient upgrades and improvements, government support and grants, and the impact of the current rental housing market in Dublin.

I am looking to gain some insight into the opinions and experiences of landlords with properties in Dublin, and have created an online survey to which I need as many responses as possible. The survey is completely anonymous and takes no longer than 10 minutes to complete. Any questions can be skipped, and all my research is conducted in accordance with the University of Exeter ethics guidelines.

Survey is location at: surveymonkey.com/s/enefflandlord

Thanks very much to anyone who can take the time to help out, and also thanks to the forum moderators who kindly allowed me to post a link to my survey here.

- Marion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

mtsweeney wrote: »
    Hello Everyone,

My name is Marion Weymes, I'm a student at the University of Exeter studying for an MSc in Sustainable Development. I'm from Dublin and previously studied at Trinity College.

For my dissertation I am exploring the issue of energy efficiency in private rental accommodation in Dublin, in terms of the barriers and motivations for energy efficient upgrades and improvements, government support and grants, and the impact of the current rental housing market in Dublin.

I am looking to gain some insight into the opinions and experiences of landlords with properties in Dublin, and have created an online survey to which I need as many responses as possible. The survey is completely anonymous and takes no longer than 10 minutes to complete. Any questions can be skipped, and all my research is conducted in accordance with the University of Exeter ethics guidelines.

Survey is location at: surveymonkey.com/s/enefflandlord

Thanks very much to anyone who can take the time to help out, and also thanks to the forum moderators who kindly allowed me to post a link to my survey here.

- Marion

I think your premise is flawed in terms of the current market in Dublin. If there was an accommodation glut then energy efficiency would come into play but right now it's a case of any port in a storm

athtrasna wrote: »
    I think your premise is flawed in terms of the current market in Dublin. If there was an accommodation glut then energy efficiency would come into play but right now it's a case of any port in a storm

I'm entering this research with an open mind as to what the results will be, but if I had a premise it would be the opposite of what you are suggesting - I agree that there is a serious lack of available rental property in Dublin and it is negatively affecting the quality and energy efficiency of the sector, and I think it is an issue which needs to be addressed.

I have a corresponding anonymous survey for tenants of private rental properties, also exploring their experiences and opinions on energy efficiency:

surveymonkey.com/s/enefftenant

I would be very appreciative if anyone renting a room/house in Dublin could take 10 minutes to fill it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I'm entering this research with an open mind as to what the results will be, but if I had a premise it would be the opposite of what you are suggesting

So you think energy efficiency is more at play when there's limited supply? I think you'll find people care about energy efficiency but they usually don't consider it a priority when there's 12 people all at the same viewing.

That's my own opinion but I'd be happy to see your research when it's done.

So you think energy efficiency is more at play when there's limited supply? I think you'll find people care about energy efficiency but they usually don't consider it a priority when there's 12 people all at the same viewing.

That's my own opinion but I'd be happy to see your research when it's done.

No not at all, what I'm suggesting is that the limited supply is negatively affecting the quality of properties available - that tenants are not interested in or swayed by the energy efficiency of their properties, are not interested in or requesting BER certs, and that landlords have limited incentives or support to upgrade properties because there is such a high demand for properties of all standards.

• Advertisement

No not at all, what I'm suggesting is that the limited supply is negatively affecting the quality of properties available - that tenants are not interested in or swayed by the energy efficiency of their properties, are not interested in or requesting BER certs, and that landlords have limited incentives or support to upgrade properties because there is such a high demand for properties of all standards.

But you said it was the opposite of what athtrasna said, which is that energy efficiency is not in play due to the lack of accommodation. It appears you actually agree with us.

Yes I do agree, I wasn't disagreeing with what athrasna was saying, but with what their suggestion of my 'premise' was - It seemed like they had misinterpreted my initial post and survey.

So overall it seems like we are all on the same page and perhaps the results from these surveys and my research will give concrete evidence and figures regarding the impact of a housing shortage in Dublin, and (lack of?) importance of energy efficiency and BER certs.

Yes I do agree, I wasn't disagreeing with what athrasna was saying, but with what their suggestion of my 'premise' was - It seemed like they had misinterpreted my initial post and survey.

So overall it seems like we are all on the same page and perhaps the results from these surveys and my research will give concrete evidence and figures regarding the impact of a housing shortage in Dublin, and (lack of?) importance of energy efficiency and BER certs.

I think it's hard to expect any other result in such a severely restricted market.

Just picking a sample of the first three pages of the Dublin results on daft, 19 out of 30 had no BER displayed in the ad, despite a legal obligation to do so (5 were listed as BER exempt). Now this might be due to the lack of enforcement but it already points to a lack of demand on the consumer side too.

I think it's hard to expect any other result in such a severely restricted market.

Just picking a sample of the first three pages of the Dublin results on daft, 19 out of 30 had no BER displayed in the ad, despite a legal obligation to do so (5 were listed as BER exempt). Now this might be due to the lack of enforcement but it already points to a lack of demand on the consumer side too.

Very true. I have gone through a lot of properties on daft and overall there is an even lower % than you suggested with BERs listed.

On a side note there is about 2 weeks left in which I can use the survey results collected, so if any more landlords or tenants can take the time to help out I would be very grateful. I'm getting some very interesting responses and results so far.

Advertisement