Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

yop wrote: »
    Where is that?

On the breaffy Road roundabout. Maybe it's not a factory more a building.

No tenant at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

New music shop in Castlebar is up and running. It's instruments etc rather than cd's and stuff. Best of luck to them. Think they have a place in Kiltimagh too.

Where is that located?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Binka wrote: »
    Where is that located?

Linenhall street. Across from the Linenhall.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Castlebardude

Has Sam Adams been sold ? A friend of mine drove to Castlebar to check it out & was told by the auctioneer that it has been sold even though it is still up for sale on the internet. Is there a "Sold" sign outside ? Anyone know who bought it ? Its a lovely pub, a good publican will do well there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Has Sam Adams been sold ? A friend of mine drove to Castlebar to check it out & was told by the auctioneer that it has been sold even though it is still up for sale on the internet. Is there a "Sold" sign outside ? Anyone know who bought it ? Its a lovely pub, a good publican will do well there.

It's a lovely pub when it isn't packed, when it gets busy it's the last place in town I'd want to be, way too cramped downstairs. Was sad to see it close though and the food was great. Great location for whoever buys it/bought it anyways, hopefully a late bar goes in there but I highly doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Sam Adams was a nice looking bar, but the size and layout was terrible, way too cramped if more than 20 people were inside it, never have food there but heard it was lovely though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I was never a fan of Sam Adams, too cramped and everything looked so sterile with no atmosphere, the premises has an unfortunate history as well.

The sign outside Sam Adams still says for sale but they may not have gotten around to changing it yet.

Anyone know what is proposed for the large building going up at the back of the An Post depot in Moneen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

The sign outside Sam Adams still says for sale but they may not have gotten around to changing it yet.

Anyone know what is proposed for the large building going up at the back of the An Post depot in Moneen?

I think its a retirement home but will also have a medical center with doctors, dentist etc. A bit like Tobins but on a larger scale.

statto25 wrote:
    I think its a retirement home but will also have a medical center with doctors, dentist etc. A bit like Tobins but on a larger scale.

There is another more industrial building further back than that. Maybe it's McGrath's recycling centre but I thought that was still under appeal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

There is another more industrial building further back than that. Maybe it's McGrath's recycling centre but I thought that was still under appeal

Not a clue so in that case. I seen two buildings but I figured it was all part of the medical centre/home

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

industrial recycling centre according to planning permission sign on the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Cost cutter going in to cosgroves garage petrol station in the Westport road

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

What happened the posts on the TF that were here yesterday?

naughto wrote: »
    Cost cutter going in to cosgroves garage petrol station in the Westport road

Seen planning alright. where did you hear Costcutter? Westport road could do with a shop out that side.

Seen planning alright. where did you hear Costcutter? Westport road could do with a shop out that side.

Was talking to your man in the shop,cant see it being to big if what they have opened up is all there doing.

Any one else think the traffic at actual Duffys new shop is going to be a disaster with little or no parking at the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

naughto wrote: »
    Was talking to your man in the shop,cant see it being to big if what they have opened up is all there doing.

Any one else think the traffic at actual Duffys new shop is going to be a disaster with little or no parking at the shop

Disaster, very hard to get in an out of it too. Not the place for a development like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

PARlance wrote: »
    Disaster, very hard to get in an out of it too. Not the place for a development like that.

They must have had ever van in the country parked outside it during the week! A lot of workers milling around trying get it open .

I thought the same as you both, I can't see how they will make it work with such poor parking when in pretty much every direction and 2 minutes driving you are almost granteed parking.

Also getting back into traffic will be a pain without a clear Entry and Exit .

I drove in and backed out without any bother. Not much parking there though

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

I used to always get my fill there but I see they are more in line with fuel prices elsewhere now...

• Advertisement

I used to always get my fill there but I see they are more in line with fuel prices elsewhere now...

Some one has to pay for the new shop

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Also getting back into traffic will be a pain without a clear Entry and Exit .

The Breaffy side has been marked as entry only and the Town side has marked for exit. I'm not sure if that's a new thing or if it was always the case.

Developments like that & the likes of Caseys/McDonlads shouldn't really be situated so close to roundabouts. It only leads to bottlenecks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

PARlance wrote: »
    The Breaffy side has been marked as entry only and the Town side has marked for exit. I'm not sure if that's a new thing or if it was always the case.

Developments like that & the likes of Caseys/McDonlads shouldn't really be situated so close to roundabouts. It only leads to bottlenecks.

Ah, I see, that makes more sense, getting people to stick to it will be another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

PARlance wrote:

Very similar to the new Centra in Westport in that regard. Tight enough getting in and out. I passed by Duffy's today. Much brighter and more modern and helps the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Some interesting points came out in the latest CSO report last week.

There was a zero percent growth in the west region (Mayo, Galway, Roscommon) in the first three months of 2016, the west was the only region in the country not to show any improvment.

Job loses continue to outpace job creation, while after the first 3 months of 2016 employment is now as low as it was in 2003, with none of our industries showing any signs of life.

It revealed that from 2012-2015 the number of people at work in the region grew by just 2.8%, while the number of self employed people rose by 13.6 percent in that time, but over 75% of them work alone and due to this they have only stimulated a 0.7 percent growth in the number of employees in the area.

In 2015 Mayo had 3 IDA visits, Roscommon had 2, while Galway had 41 visits.

Bit of good news at least for the day that's in it, the Welcome Inn is to reopen under new management (still in the McHugh family I believe though) as well as plan to refurbish the rooms and venue itself. Could be some time yet but at last we know it's going to happen for sure.

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2016/06/24/4122203-future-of-welcome-inn-hotel-is-secured-/

More relief than anything, whatever bit of nightlife the town had was drained when it closed down, it'll get a huge amount of business for the few weeks after it reopens but they'll need to figure out how to keep that going for as long as they can because the place was dying for a while until they shut the doors.

3 new restaurants opening too in Castlebar. Badly needed. Montana steakhouse and grill across from coxes. New wine bar Italian beside Rocky's and McCarthys gastro pub due in the next couple of months. In the medium term the new development at the old upper crust site should be moving soon. So positive stuff for this underserved area for Castlebar.

Was going to ask about that steakhouse, saw it the last night on my way out of Rocky's and thought it must be new or else I'm going blind. Is it open yet or is it still being worked on?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

martyos121 wrote: »
    Bit of good news at least for the day that's in it, the Welcome Inn is to reopen under new management (still in the McHugh family I believe though) as well as plan to refurbish the rooms and venue itself. Could be some time yet but at last we know it's going to happen for sure.

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2016/06/24/4122203-future-of-welcome-inn-hotel-is-secured-/

More relief than anything, whatever bit of nightlife the town had was drained when it closed down, it'll get a huge amount of business for the few weeks after it reopens but they'll need to figure out how to keep that going for as long as they can because the place was dying for a while until they shut the doors.

doesnt say anything about doing up the nightclub?

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    Was going to ask about that steakhouse, saw it the last night on my way out of Rocky's and thought it must be new or else I'm going blind. Is it open yet or is it still being worked on?

Not open yet. very close though. same owner as Nico's across the road

Advertisement