Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

irishgeo wrote: »
    doesnt say anything about doing up the nightclub?

You're right, either I misread it or assumed they'd do up the venue while they're fixing up the rooms (which are the most thing in need of work).

They'd be stupid not to improve the nightclub though, there's not an awful lot of work needed but it just looked dull and miserable the last few months it was opened. The most important thing for them is to get plenty of business in there when it reopens so they can open up all the other sections of it. Very few other places in the country have I seen a nightclub have so many areas and bars closed off nearly every week due to lack of custom. It's a fine place when the back bar and upstairs areas are open.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Castlebardude

martyos121 wrote: »
    Bit of good news at least for the day that's in it, the Welcome Inn is to reopen under new management (still in the McHugh family I believe though) as well as plan to refurbish the rooms and venue itself. Could be some time yet but at last we know it's

More relief than anything, whatever bit of nightlife the town had was drained when it closed down, it'll get a huge amount of business for the few weeks after it reopens but they'll need to figure out how to keep that going for as long as they can because the place was dying for a while until they shut the doors.

Yeah its nice to see it back with the family but what happens those staff who worked there for years and presumably didn't come away with any redundancy ? Seems unfair that in business you can close the doors without paying your debts, leave a lot of people or staff unpaid, then buy it back or reopen again on the cheap and start over with a clean sheet. This is the third high profile case of this in Castlebar alone in recent times and it seems very wrong.Can I do that with my mortgage ?

It's closure didn't really have much affect on the town's nightlife because it was already a lost cause by that time.I and some friends had been in the lounge one Saturday night not long prior to closing and I counted 30 people in the place.The nightclub was already closed down too by then. If they reopen without a serious refurb. and just expect people to support them, they will fail spectacularly. Now is their chance to put together a good new progressive management team, new staff, new blood, invest in the place and reinvent themselves as a town centre boutique hotel perhaps. They won't be long in making it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

yop wrote: »

Did I misread that Midwest piece online just now.
    Hungary planet ??? as opposed to Hungry (sic??)

Good to hear of the jobs.

Made me hungry for some Hungarian goulash though :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Yeah its nice to see it back with the family but what happens those staff who worked there for years and presumably didn't come away with any redundancy ? Seems unfair that in business you can close the doors without paying your debts, leave a lot of people or staff unpaid, then buy it back or reopen again on the cheap and start over with a clean sheet. This is the third high profile case of this in Castlebar alone in recent times and it seems very wrong.Can I do that with my mortgage ?

It's closure didn't really have much affect on the town's nightlife because it was already a lost cause by that time.I and some friends had been in the lounge one Saturday night not long prior to closing and I counted 30 people in the place.The nightclub was already closed down too by then. If they reopen without a serious refurb. and just expect people to support them, they will fail spectacularly. Now is their chance to put together a good new progressive management team, new staff, new blood, invest in the place and reinvent themselves as a town centre boutique hotel perhaps. They won't be long in making it back.

Nail on head, leaves a very bad taste. Yet them still expect people to be enthusiastic when they return....:mad::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

yop wrote: »
    Nail on head, leaves a very bad taste. Yet them still expect people to be enthusiastic when they return....:mad::rolleyes:

Sure even Castlebardude started by saying it was nice to see it back in the family!?

It's fairly black and white in my book, if they pulled a fast one, then it's not nice to see it in the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

PARlance wrote: »
    Sure even Castlebardude started by saying it was nice to see it back in the family!?

It's fairly black and white in my book, if they pulled a fast one, then it's not nice to see it in the family.

Of course they did debt written off just like a lot of business in the area and back in control of it again.

[ote="PARlance;100199374"]Sure even Castlebardude started by saying it was nice to see it back in the family!?

It's fairly black and white in my book, if they pulled a fast one, then it's not nice to see it in the family.[/quote]

It's not that a fast one would have been pulled, there is obviously a loophole or way for business people to "fail" or "go bust" but get back into the same position again legally. We've seen it so many times recently (this is the 3rd hotel in Mayo I know of). IMO It is nice to see it back in the family especially after Tony's untimely death rather than a large corporate but it's easy for me to say that when I wasn't owed money for goods or services provided or an employee that might have been due a large redundancy. I understand why many would say "leaves a bad taste" as it's we the taxpayer that's probably picking up the bill ultimately.

naughto wrote: »
    Of course they did debt written off just like a lot of business in the area and back in control of it again.

I'm in no doubt but until the details come out, I didn't want to be declaring it. When the details do come out, I'm sure we won't see it splashed across the papers as being as sad day for Castlebar and it's taxpayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Its a clear cut fast one. The ballroom and hotel were separate and baowned by different family members. The hotel was for sale but not the ballroom.

No one else is going to be interested in deal where you can buy the hotel but not the ballroom which is linked to the hotel.

That's a stroke of the highest order. I'd love to know where they got the money to pay for the hotel considering the couldn't pay their debts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I'm not sure whoever it is that has purchased it will be in for an easy time.

The place needs gutting, it's in a bad location, can't expand and the town is not exactly a hive of activity. Saturday nights have all but disappeared, Westport has won that battle.

I'm not sure whoever it is that has purchased it will be in for an easy time.

The place needs gutting, it's in a bad location, can't expand and the town is not exactly a hive of activity. Saturday nights have all but disappeared, Westport has won that battle.

Going to be hard to beat 10 euro return on the bus and free entry to the niteclub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Its a clear cut fast one. The ballroom and hotel were separate and baowned by different family members. The hotel was for sale but not the ballroom.

No one else is going to be interested in deal where you can buy the hotel but not the ballroom which is linked to the hotel.

That's a stroke of the highest order. I'd love to know where they got the money to pay for the hotel considering the couldn't pay their debts.

The old switcheroo......classic......not for the creditors though :mad:

Not open yet. very close though. same owner as Nico's across the road

Judging by some photos on Facebook it appears to be open.

Going to be hard to beat 10 euro return on the bus and free entry to the niteclub.

It's only free in to the nightclub on Fridays and Sunday nights as far as I know.

Judging by some photos on Facebook it appears to be open.

What's it called to search for on FB ?

What's it called to search for on FB ?

Montana Steak House and Grill. Looks a really great spot going by the pictures and reviews. They've a photo of their menu uploaded too which looks excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

It's only free in to the nightclub on Fridays and Sunday nights as far as I know.

Saturday's before 12 is free if you get the bus. Not free on bank holidays.

Montana Steak House and Grill. Looks a really great spot going by the pictures and reviews. They've a photo of their menu uploaded too which looks excellent.

I'm eager to see what a €35 30oz Rib Eye looks like. All burger photos so far.

PARlance wrote: »
    I'm eager to see what a €35 30oz Rib Eye looks like. All burger photos so far.
    wide angle lens needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I hope the steakhouse does better than Don Carlitos did.

Xenji wrote: »
    I hope the steakhouse does better than Don Carlitos did.

Who owned that place do you know? It wasn't in a great spot but the food was actually lovely, and I'm not normally one for Italian grub.

Who owned that place do you know? It wasn't in a great spot but the food was actually lovely, and I'm not normally one for Italian grub.

JC of the Chipper fame ran it. he is opening the italian trattoria/winebar across the road from the new steakhouse. couldn't make that other location work.

looks like it will be ready soon.

Same guy who has the Steakhouse now I think and has Nicos, although I thought Nicos changed hands after it changed from JCs.

JC of the Chipper fame ran it. he is opening the italian trattoria/winebar across the road from the new steakhouse. couldn't make that other location work.

looks like it will be ready soon.

So JC is doing the winebar and the guy who now has Nicos is doing the steakhouse?

Xenji wrote: »
    So JC is doing the winebar and the guy who now has Nicos is doing the steakhouse?

Yep. musical chairs! To add to that i believe the actual owners of the Montana are the lads from Al Muretto next door.

Jcs not near as nice since it changed hands

Don't really do chippers myself so don't know. Nico did have it originally before JC took over and I remember it was nice then. a long time ago now. it's all very confusing :pac:

I'd agree there, but Rocco's on the hill has blown it away in terms of quality IMO, and that goes for the old JC's too. I know it's not completely related to the topic at hand, but it's the best takeaway I've ever had in the town.

• Advertisement

I'd agree there, but Rocco's on the hill has blown it away in terms of quality IMO, and that goes for the old JC's too. I know it's not completely related to the topic at hand, but it's the best takeaway I've ever had in the town.

It's grand after a feed of beer but I've kept away since it changed hands. Must have a look a roccos next time iam getting chipper food

Advertisement