Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

And the New Biz thread turns into a debate about the best chipper in town....says a lot.

Will give Montana a try soon but the decor and prices aren't all that inspiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

PARlance wrote: »
    And the New Biz thread turns into a debate about the best chipper in town....says a lot.

Will give Montana a try soon but the decor and prices aren't all that inspiring.

Nico's are a new business (technically speaking), as are Rocco's (relatively new but I haven't seen any posts about them until I brought them up), so it's not an entirely irrelevant discussion. Hardly a debate either in all fairness.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Nico's are a new business (technically speaking), as are Rocco's (relatively new but I haven't seen any posts about them until I brought them up), so it's not an entirely irrelevant discussion. Hardly a debate either in all fairness.

It was a joke / throwaway comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

PARlance wrote: »
    It was a joke / throwaway comment.

Fair enough, wouldn't be at my sharpest after midnight anyway to pick up on that. :)

martyos121 wrote: »
    Fair enough, wouldn't be at my sharpest after midnight anyway to pick up on that. :)

A smiley face on my behalf would have helped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

......Sacred Heart Hospital renovation announced again!!! My word they are really tearing the arse out of this,must be the fifth time it has been announced in the last 4 years!!! The sod is now turned ,onwards and upwards,thank you ENDA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

ethical wrote: »
    ......Sacred Heart Hospital renovation announced again!!! My word they are really tearing the arse out of this,must be the fifth time it has been announced in the last 4 years!!! The sod is now turned ,onwards and upwards,thank you ENDA.
    It gets announced at the various stages which is typical on a large project. It’s the same storey for the swimming pool. Funding approved, planning permission lodged, planning permission approved, out to builders to tender, builder appointed, builder starts on site and turning of the sod, building opens, building officially opens (often several weeks after it’s occupied they cut ribbon for photos). So ya, you can have lots of announcements and a few more to come.

Anyone know what is being constructed in Castlebar beside the tennis club? :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Anyone know what is being constructed in Castlebar beside the tennis club? :)

Swimming pool

yop wrote: »
    Swimming pool

Thanks :) glad to hear Castlebar are getting a new swimming pool, the old one looked well overdue an update

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

yop wrote:
    Swimming pool

A swimming pool! No way! You would think there would have been some sort of announcement.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

A swimming pool! No way! You would think there would have been some sort of announcement.

None, not a word, not a dicky bird. Just dug a hole, fired a few tiles up the side and filled it with tap water. The feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

None, not a word, not a dicky bird. Just dug a hole, fired a few tiles up the side and filled it with tap water. The feckers.

tap water. they are just waiting for it to fill up with rain before putting on the roof.:D

New Tapas restaurant ' The House of Plates' opening on Chapel street, Castlebar soon. 'The Town's restaurant scene is really on the up it seems; at last. hopefully this will do something to arrest the flow of diners to Westport in recent years. Good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Pity they didn't go for the Olympic size given the year that's in it (though I believe they can expand it). Not to mention having an actual competing Olympian in the swimming events from the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Pity they didn't go for the Olympic size given the year that's in it (though I believe they can expand it). Not to mention having an actual competing Olympian in the swimming events from the town.

While huge it's not the additional construction cost that's the obstacle here it's the annual running cost. An olympic size swimming pool is just so much more to run and the council would make a loss every year due to the limited demand. I'm not saying there's no demand for one, just not enough to make it financially viable. No point building something that's going to lose money every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

Dudda wrote: »
    While huge it's not the additional construction cost that's the obstacle here it's the annual running cost. An olympic size swimming pool is just so much more to run and the council would make a loss every year due to the limited demand. I'm not saying there's no demand for one, just not enough to make it financially viable. No point building something that's going to lose money every year.

that just translates as lack of vision and laziness to seek connections. Not you Dudda, those in charge, as I believe your reasoning is sound.... that is the reasoning behind the compromise.

I recall 20 years ago in Denmark ... the west of Jutland... a rural backwater with a Sports University and within it an Olympic pool... 1998, so not quite 20 years, I was wrestling for Ireland, paid for by myself.... yea we have always been cheap on every sport, save those who succeed despite the investment rather than because of it! I went on to represent Ireland 87 times in Sanda (Chinese MMA), ranked 4th in the world (professionally), and over 150 Chinese wrestling matches... have gone on to being the Irish National Coach and despite producing European Champs and Bi-Lateral Agreements between China and the EU promising promotion of mutual culture, (they have GAA football teams paid for) we have never seen a penny from the ISC etc.

When will people wake up to the fact that other countries do invest, they have sport universities, they pool knowledge, have experts from every sport and beyond - psychology, nutrition, etc all have their say on every individual athlete's performance and programme... when I was in Utrecht, I visited my pal, a sport psychologist in the university there, he was also Sanda team coach. Their athletes had metal ball bearings placed on them and their movement analyzed, strategists analyzed their opponents, and came up with game plans, other experts devised exactly what exercises were to be used in a periodisation build-up preparation to enhance the wrestling or striking ability of each athlete to meet the strategic demands.... and we... we... leave it up to bog-standard folk-knowledge mainly...

lack of vision leads to lack of success!

But let's face it... when people think of a new swimming pool in Castlebar.. they are thinking family bathing time, learning to swim and school PE excursions.... that's the limit of the creative horizon... yet when you examine how Mayo born and bread athletes who managed to escape the backwardness have done, including myself, but since Brennan was world boxing champ.... just after the famine... well... god help Mayo athletes who dare to consider staying at home... escape!

How much different this could be, if those who
    "fumble in a greasy till
    And add the halfpence to the pence
    And prayer to shivering prayer"
    only had the vision of the regional and even personal financial benefit of creating center's of excellence in sport? But they are generally small people, albeit maybe the cutest hoar ever... perhaps in the whole village!

BTW... as for swimming, having grown up in Claremorris, I know for a fact that a girl (I wont mention her name without her permission, I had just typed it and thought better) broke a world record in free-style competition in the early 80's ...BUT... it was a 25m pool so didn't count... It was in prep for the 1984 olympics.. the one the USSR boycotted... I believe an accident of fate - injury prevented her participation... sh1t happens... still... if she had done what she did in a 50m pool it would have counted....and put Mayo on the map.... just think about that! And imagine that Castlebar regional college gave credits like US universities for sports... see how the snowball becomes an avalanche?

My counterpart in the UK is actually knighted, and regularly advises due to his international experience, other international, national, regional and local bodies. Do you think anyone has even called me? I don't blame them, I'm back in Mayo 1 year, I've dealt with the EWUF, IWUF (International Wushu Federation) and IOC (International Olympic Committee) , but who knows? Its like a state secret! Go to Cork... same story... a world Muay Thai champ (again I wont mention names) but sure in his sport he is sought out, but other similar sports dont even know about him... this wouldn't happen in other countries... it just wouldn't! I used to blame the GAA, but they are simply looking after their own sports and doing so well, it is not their fault that our politicians use them as an excuse to verify a budget and neglect other sports. Boxing, due to the success "despite" funding of some amateurs and professionals is finally starting to see some reasonable funding... but Katie and the lads had to win first!!! This is not the way its done internationally. Their governments and people actually take "pride" and "value" the contributions (including economical benefits) associated with successful athletic endeavors. But it seems we are stuck in Yeat's September 1913... Kenny, probably thinks his trips around the Nephin range is what cycling is all about, personal satisfaction! He's never competed at any decent level, he knows nothing about it, but the mass gobsh1tes who know as little probably feel bicycle lanes are the way forward and 25m pools... and that they are simply an expense and can't be revenue... dim people indeed! As much as I love returning to Mayo and I love the soul of the people... some of this sh1t reminds me why as a youngster I left, its just feckin' sad!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

What was the attendance like for the Castlebar Live event in Hobans car park last Sunday?

Xenji wrote: »
    What was the attendance like for the Castlebar Live event in Hobans car park last Sunday?

About 200 at its peak. not great, but worth doing all the same

Anyone talk to hungry planet to see what they are offering to people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Anyone talk to hungry planet to see what they are offering to people?

Who are hungry planet?

Who are hungry planet?

The vertical garden company going into the old volex factory

DV8 opening a branch in Castlebar. Looking for staff

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

DV8 opening a branch in Castlebar. Looking for staff

Unfortunately they are a poor mans TK Maxx and will be stocking a hodgepodge of sizes, most items can be found cheaper on larger online stores, hopefully we will not be seeing more zero hour contracts, but it seems to be the norm in retail these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Xenji wrote: »
    Unfortunately they are a poor mans TK Maxx and will be stocking a hodgepodge of sizes, most items can be found cheaper on larger online stores, hopefully we will not be seeing more zero hour contracts, but it seems to be the norm in retail these days.

Most of these new stores seem to offer only zero hour contracts.

Disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Where are they going in to?
    I see the unit across from the bus stop is reserved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

The building beside subway has recently been refurbished, no sign of any Tennant's yet though.

naughto wrote:
    Where are they going in to? I see the unit across from the bus stop is reserved

They are going in to the old Xtra vision unit

Interesting planning in for the burnt out building on Main street. Big retail space. Worth a look online at the plans

• Advertisement

main street on the up if all the planned building goes ahead.

Advertisement