Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

Mr Price is opening the 29th of Sepetember according to their Facebook page

Good stuff, I'm not familiar with that pub where is that located? :)

Ellison street, large unfinished building across from heatons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Xenji wrote: »
    Good to see another unit filled, but you have 6 discount shops within a minute of each other now, Castlebar has become Mayo's discount shopping mecha.

Don't forget the hairdressers!

I'm waiting for the first discount hairdressers NV to open to complete the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

so

dealz
    euro2 shop
    mr price
    the 2 discount shops on castle street
    marys on main st
    id count archway stores as well.

how will they all make money?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

irishgeo wrote: »
    so

dealz
    euro2 shop
    mr price
    the 2 discount shops on castle street
    marys on main st
    id count archway stores as well.

how will they all make money?

Dont forget supersavers!!
    Deals is like a discount supermarket so would probably hit Supersavers most. I've not been in Mr.Price so I dont know what they sell.

Dealz were looking to get into the town for a few years now but couldn't find a unit. They looked at Flannellys and wanted to put in a service lift but couldn't get the planning for it. Council must have changed their mind or the lift has been left out

statto25 wrote: »
    Dont forget supersavers!!
    Deals is like a discount supermarket so would probably hit Supersavers most. I've not been in Mr.Price so I dont know what they sell.

Mr Price would be more like Supersavers than Dealz :) Dealz should hit Euro2 and Marys the most; everything(bar a few larger items) is €1.50 and in my opinion is a nicer store too

• Advertisement

Mr Price would be more like Supersavers than Dealz :) Dealz should hit Euro2 and Marys the most; everything(bar a few larger items) is €1.50 and in my opinion is a nicer store too

Have a gander at their website and its all the same stuff as Supersavers, food toiletries etc.

I have seen this kind of mass discount shop town centre in the UK across a few different large towns.....

It doesn't end well.

I have seen this kind of mass discount shop town centre in the UK across a few different large towns.....

It doesn't end well.

How does it end?

Is it with a string of bookies following in behind?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Many city centres over the last 5-10 years in the UK have turned into places where businesses are more interested in taking money off people who don't have it, first you get the discount stores, then pawn shops, bookies and pay day lenders soon follow, while big high street retailers avoid these areas or pull out of existing units, in most cases not relocating to another area of the town.

It is quite often seen as the death knell of a towns economy and established names will steer well clear of opening in these towns, it is a rampant issue in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Xenji wrote:
    It is quite often seen as the death knell of a towns economy and established names will steer well clear of opening in these towns, it is a rampant issue in the UK.

These instances need a proper strategy to encourage local retailers and a sustainable business mix. From local government and planning. Putting all your eggs in the discount basket is an unwelcome strategy for many reasons

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    How does it end?

Is it with a string of bookies following in behind?

Pretty much as xangi said..... It kills the town. Most non discount retailers in the UK have moved to retail parks. No option for that in Castlebar.

Most Midlands towns in the UK are empty. Gambling/slot machines, charity shops, discount stores, bookies, low end chain pubs, fast food joints, beggars, crumbling infrastructure, no banks or post offices.

I'm not saying Castlebar is heading in that direction, we don't have the population density to have the same problems as the UK.

The town will have its own version of it, like most other things, just not at the same scale as bigger towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

These instances need a proper strategy to encourage local retailers and a sustainable business mix. From local government and planning. Putting all your eggs in the discount basket is an unwelcome strategy for many reasons

A shopping centre can regulate what trades etc open there.

afaik a planning authority cannot do so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

The planning authority can decide where businesses set up and if its "good" for the area or not.

Despite what happened in the UK, where town centres were decimated and small businesses were put to the sword the Irish authorities happily allowed the same thing to happen here, introducing parking fees and allowing many large multinationals to open on the outskirts of the towns.

Then they scratch their heads in wonderment as to why all the small businesses in the town centre closed and they are left with empty buildings and higher unemployment (these new multinational supermarkets actually reduce the employment in that sector when they move into a location).

No long term thinking and the way they fall over themselves pandering to the needs and wants of these large companies while ignoring the needs of the smaller indigenous businesses is shameful.

nuac wrote:

nuac wrote:

They can decide what fits into the character of an area as mentioned. Local bye laws can regulate business type in particular areas too afaik

They can decide what fits into the character of an area as mentioned. Local bye laws can regulate business type in particular areas too afaik

IIRC Westport have been doing this for years.

Wasn't there some supermacs story where they turned then down for a store in the town centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

nuac wrote: »

The planning authority can and do. I know Ballina is now strict. Below extract from their development plan:

"The Council is concerned about proliferation of Bookies/turf accountants, takeaways, Discount Shops (i.e. €1/€2 shops) and sex shops and will seek to restrict further the proliferation of such uses."

Dudda wrote: »
    The planning authority can and do. I know Ballina is now strict. Below extract from their development plan:

"The Council is concerned about proliferation of Bookies/turf accountants, takeaways, Discount Shops (i.e. €1/€2 shops) and sex shops and will seek to restrict further the proliferation of such uses."

How many sex shops do they have in ballina?

Dudda wrote: »

Bookies/Turf accountants, take-aways etc are a different use classification under the planning regs from retail shops. E.g PP required for change of use to bookie or takeaway from normal retail.

I cannot recall anything in Planning Regs prohibiting discount shops, nor sex shops.

There may be a provision in Town Plan prohibiting these. If so I doubt its validity. Mayo planners will remember the Glencar case.

IIRC Westport have been doing this for years.

Wasn't there some supermacs story where they turned then down for a store in the town centre?

In Westport Supermacs sought to change the use of a well established restaurant CAffollas. Caffolas was mainly a restaurant with tables and chairs etc with a small take-away counter.

The proposed conversion was to a mainly a take-away operation with a small number of tables and chairs.

Town Council claimed that PP was required to extend the take-away and diminish the restaurant use; developer disputed. Went to Circuit COurt and later High COurt. High Court confirmed Town Council were correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Someone told me today that McCarthy's on Main St was shutting its doors, has anyone else heard anything?

• Advertisement

corsav6 wrote: »
    Someone told me today that McCarthy's on Main St was shutting its doors, has anyone else heard anything?

It's changing ownership and will continue trading. maybe closing for a refurb?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What's going up down by lough lannagh? The large site visible from the ring road.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    What's going up down by lough lannagh? The large site visible from the ring road.

The new swimming pool

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Oh, had no idea! Will the old one be remaining open? Is this going to be a 50 metre one?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Oh, had no idea! Will the old one be remaining open? Is this going to be a 50 metre one?

Dont know about the old one. I think the new one is only 25m but I could be wrong.

Mickeroo wrote:

The old one will close I imagine. New one is 25m.They are leaving an option to add some 50m lanes I hear.

Ah very good, will miss the old place but the facilities do seem very dated now. Don't think it's changed since the first time I went in there as a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

anyone know whats going on out the Ballinrobe road (out of Castlebar) past the council yard? all the forestry has been cleared... and the area fenced off. new road?

thekooman wrote: »
    anyone know whats going on out the Ballinrobe road (out of Castlebar) past the council yard? all the forestry has been cleared... and the area fenced off. new road?

It's the prep work for the new road to Westport

• Advertisement

Think I saw a warning sign about an archaeological site there too, so it might have gotten held up?

Advertisement