Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Mickeroo wrote:
    Think I saw a warning sign about an archaeological site there too, so it might have gotten held up?

Nah. Just standard procedure along the route. Nothing unusual found. It's the money that's the hold up as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A photography store is opening at the top of Cavendish Lane in November, nice to see something different opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

What's going into the old hmv building. Seen a few lads in there working yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Think I saw a warning sign about an archaeological site there too, so it might have gotten held up?

They found and old horse racing track when they where diging.
    It didn't hold them up though

Xenji wrote: »
    A photography store is opening at the top of Cavendish Lane in November, nice to see something different opening.

Will it be closed by Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

naughto wrote: »
    Will it be closed by Christmas

Could you be a little more positive to a new business venture?

nuac wrote: »
    Could you be a little more positive to a new business venture?

I could but the odds of it staying open for long are against them. The rent in the location there going in to is very high

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

irishgeo wrote: »
    What's going into the old hmv building. Seen a few lads in there working yesterday.

DV8

DV8

A mini TK Maxx without the discounts, if their online store is anything to go by the items look quite overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

naughto wrote:
    I could but the odds of it staying open for long are against them. The rent in the location there going in to is very high

New owner of that whole street. Maybe new rent rates are closer to reality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

A mini TK Maxx without the discounts, if their online store is anything to go by the items look quite overpriced.

Some nice menswear but wait for the sales to get bargains!

signostic wrote: »

charity shops
    pound shops
    bookies

the death of a high street.

signostic wrote: »

Is that the 8th or 9th we have now in town?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

charity shops
    pound shops
    bookies

the death of a high street.

You are forgetting hairdressers.....

Hairdressers everywhere...

I had friends over from London recently, they asked why there were so many hairdressers in Castlebar...

I couldn't give them an answer

In London they live in an area with 320k people and couldn't think of more than 10 hairdressers in the area. I'm sure there are more than 10 covering 320k people but the fact they were stunned by how many there are in Castlebar is telling.

Can anyone here explain it?

You are forgetting hairdressers.....

Hairdressers everywhere...

I had friends over from London recently, they asked why there were so many hairdressers in Castlebar...

I couldn't give them an answer

In London they live in an area with 320k people and couldn't think of more than 10 hairdressers in the area. I'm sure there are more than 10 covering 320k people but the fact they were stunned by how many there are in Castlebar is telling.

Can anyone here explain it?

It will be interesting to see the effect on them now that the Job Bridge scheme has been scrapped, they were the most prolific abusers of the scheme in the county.

It will be interesting to see the effect on them now that the Job Bridge scheme has been scrapped, they were the most prolific abusers of the scheme in the county.

the county councils had a good go of it too.

love to know how a mayo based cloud computing company is going to hire the staff now as well.Perhaps they might deliver on the jobs promised ages ago.

love to know how a mayo based cloud computing company is going to hire the staff now as well.Perhaps they might deliver on the jobs promised ages ago.

What company is that?

What company is that?
    Not sure if I am allowed name them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Not sure if I am allowed name them.

Why not, they were public and in all media when annoucing their "Jobs" with An Taoiseach. And they advertised on jobsbridge.

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »
    Why not, they were public and in all media when annoucing their "Jobs" with An Taoiseach. And they advertised on jobsbridge.

Cloudstrong

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Cloudstrong

Ironically I see they are in for best business in Mayo also.

I am delighted that Scambridge is been scrapped, that said I heard this AM that they are replacing it with a scheme which will mean that they will still be allowed to scam employees for 3 months, then after that have to pay them the minimum wage. :rolleyes::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Ironically I see they are in for best business in Mayo also.

Just because they don't hit aggressive growth targets doesn't mean they aren't successful. They can still be a success without delivering all the jobs that a politican would like to lead you to believe are certainties at these announcements.

Funding from Enterprise Ireland and the likes is a big help in creating a platform to grow sales / employment numbers but the hard part is going out there and doing it.

I don't know the people behind the company nor much about the company itself but on the face of it, it's a bit harsh slinging mud at them just because they have fallen short of expectations. Politicians shouldn't be jumping on the bandwagon but people should also known that very little is certain with start-ups.

PARlance wrote: »
    Just because they don't hit aggressive growth targets doesn't mean they aren't successful. They can still be a success without delivering all the jobs that a politican would like to lead you to believe are certainties at these announcements.

Funding from Enterprise Ireland and the likes is a big help in creating a platform to grow sales / employment numbers but the hard part is going out there and doing it.

I don't know the people behind the company nor much about the company itself but on the face of it, it's a bit harsh slinging mud at them just because they have fallen short of expectations. Politicians shouldn't be jumping on the bandwagon but people should also known that very little is certain with start-ups.

dont promise what you cant deliver perhaps. They like the plaudits and free advertising they get for a job announcement.

We all got rather excited at Northgate and look how that ended.

dont promise what you cant deliver perhaps. They like the plaudits and free advertising they get for a job announcement.

We all got rather excited at Northgate and look how that ended.

No company promises or guarantees the jobs. As part of the EI process, the company puts forward its projections in a business plan. That is all, projections not promises.

I think you'll find that the Politicians are the ones who end up promising the jobs at these announcements. The projections become promises when sprinkled with a politicans wand.

Plaudits / free advertising is generally a good thing for any business, do you think the companies should turn it down?

We all didn't get excited about Northgate. I believe job announcements when I see them.

PARlance wrote: »

Not slinging mud, just saying it as it is. Not 1 single full time job given to anyone outside of family members, everyone taken in was on jobs bridge and none retained but replaced.
    Enda Kenny was invited down and the publicity pushed out through all media.

EI funding is a joke tbh, been involved in 3 startups including my own and all they wanted were gold plated companies and piggy backing on the "who you know" ;)

Not slinging mud, just saying it as it is. Not 1 single full time job given to anyone outside of family members, everyone taken in was on jobs bridge and none retained but replaced.
    Enda Kenny was invited down and the publicity pushed out through all media.

EI funding is a joke tbh, been involved in 3 startups including my own and all they wanted were gold plated companies and piggy backing on the "who you know" ;)

I won't deny the "who you know" factor but that's a big part of business in Ireland. I've been involved in 3 as well. One went onto create 100+ jobs (and a massive return for EI when it was subsequently sold), one a failure and one currently on target in early stages. I wouldn't call the funding or EI a joke, it's not perfect but a good resource at the same time.

You know a lot more about them than me so fair enough but my look through LinkedIn certainly didn't suggest a family business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

From their facebook page

Blue Thunder Swinford
    24 October at 21:37 ·

Exciting times at Blue Thunder,
    We are recruiting hard working individuals for our Takeaway opening in Swinford. If you are interested in joining this family business we would like to hear from you. Candidates must thrive on working in a fast paced environment, enjoy customer interaction, have great people skills, and enjoy cooking and preparing Blue Thunder high quality food.

https://www.facebook.com/Bluethunderswinford/?fref=ts

14721614_1799783576966642_1000106210878827977_n.png?oh=7eed763934010660ab332b2164733ac3&oe=58A99C1E

mayo.mick wrote: »
    From their facebook page

Blue Thunder Swinford
    24 October at 21:37 ·

Exciting times at Blue Thunder,
    We are recruiting hard working individuals for our Takeaway opening in Swinford. If you are interested in joining this family business we would like to hear from you. Candidates must thrive on working in a fast paced environment, enjoy customer interaction, have great people skills, and enjoy cooking and preparing Blue Thunder high quality food.

https://www.facebook.com/Bluethunderswinford/?fref=ts

14721614_1799783576966642_1000106210878827977_n.png?oh=7eed763934010660ab332b2164733ac3&oe=58A99C1E

That place is over loaded with take aways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

That place is over loaded with take aways.

5 at the last count!

One time we had a pub for every week in the year too :D

Advertisement