Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Abrakebabra making a return to Castlebar I hear

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

Abrakebabra making a return to Castlebar I hear

They posted it on twitter. I wonder where?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Just what the town needs, more takeaways, hairdressers, cafes and charity shops.

Anyone know how that new pizza place down the alleyway off main Street is doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

They posted it on twitter. I wonder where?

I heard they're going into the Maxol station at Cathal Duffys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

What's the huge delay opening Mccarthy gastro pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

irishgeo wrote: »
    What's the huge delay opening Mccarthy gastro pub.

Financial issues has lead to it being built at a snails pace from what I have heard.

It seems IrishTV were the company due to be moving into the new IDA building in Castlebar. I have that info from an employee.

I really hope they can find a new investor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

It seems IrishTV were the company due to be moving into the new IDA building in Castlebar. I have that info from an employee.

I really hope they can find a new investor.

Indeed, it is a great idea. Hope they can get the finance required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Just what the town needs, more takeaways, hairdressers, cafes and charity shops.

Anyone know how that new pizza place down the alleyway off main Street is doing?

The new pizza place is excellent. Lovely interior, recycled pallets used for tables and seats and they look great. The pizza is baked in a timber fired oven and its really nice, far nicer than Apache or dominos.
    Its well worth a visit tbh, had the family there today for lunch and same quality as previous visits.

corsav6 wrote: »
    The new pizza place is excellent. Lovely interior, recycled pallets used for tables and seats and they look great. The pizza is baked in a timber fired oven and its really nice, far nicer than Apache or dominos.
    Its well worth a visit tbh, had the family there today for lunch and same quality as previous visits.

Will have to check it out. What's it like price wise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Pizza is €10 in the evenings, I think its 20/30% cheaper during the day but I'm not sure exactly.
    I have no idea what the side order prices are but they do decent meal deals. Their chips are nice, similar to blue thunder.

Two more restaurants opening on Thomas Street, Castlebar

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Two Pizzas, garlic bread, chips and 1.25L bottled soft drink is only 20 quid, way better value than dominos. Might only be a takeaway deal that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

RE: The Welcome Inn:

I noticed some of the comments with regard to it being 'nice' to be back in the family's hands. But like the business model failed! I felt bad for them when it happened, I always found Mary a nice woman to deal with and was sorry to hear of her husbands death.

At the same time, what about those that they owed? For them to have the full opportunity to re-establish themselves in business in the same location at the fraction of the cost of what their actions should have cost them is morally wrong. I wish them no good luck in their fortunes with regard specifically to this venture should they intend to utilise a morally wrong loophole for financial gain.

What is legally right but morally wrong is outdated legislation and needs to be changed.

What would be a good way of sorting out such a mess, or at least making it more difficult for the specific directors (ego), would be on the occurrence directors reaching a certain profit from their re-established business (or any other directorships) that all profits after that to go 50-50 between them and a debtors pool. to be paid out equally to all debtor parties.

Also no former business partner or relative through blood or marriage should have an automatic right to be entered into the pool but have a consideration on the validity of their claim considered in the debtor court.

I think the decent business owners would be happy to see that occur.

Two more restaurants opening on Thomas Street, Castlebar

Where do you see this?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Abrakebabra opening tomorrow, Maxol Station on Station Road.

Where do you see this?
    seen them as I walked up the street

seen them as I walked up the street

Which units?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

voz es wrote: »
    RE: The Welcome Inn:

I noticed some of the comments with regard to it being 'nice' to be back in the family's hands. But like the business model failed! I felt bad for them when it happened, I always found Mary a nice woman to deal with and was sorry to hear of her husbands death.

At the same time, what about those that they owed? For them to have the full opportunity to re-establish themselves in business in the same location at the fraction of the cost of what their actions should have cost them is morally wrong. I wish them no good luck in their fortunes with regard specifically to this venture should they intend to utilise a morally wrong loophole for financial gain.

What is legally right but morally wrong is outdated legislation and needs to be changed.

What would be a good way of sorting out such a mess, or at least making it more difficult for the specific directors (ego), would be on the occurrence directors reaching a certain profit from their re-established business (or any other directorships) that all profits after that to go 50-50 between them and a debtors pool. to be paid out equally to all debtor parties.

Also no former business partner or relative through blood or marriage should have an automatic right to be entered into the pool but have a consideration on the validity of their claim considered in the debtor court.

I think the decent business owners would be happy to see that occur.

I hope those fawning over the "Save the Welcome Inn" Facebook page have learned something. Such a ridiculous page but if you said anything at the time, you were the world's worst.

Clinical move by them and another one where we all pick up the tab for in one way or another. Loophole makes it almost sound like it happened by chance.

Aiken Promotions are announcing a major new festival for 2017.

The announcement will take place simultaneously at Wesport House, Co. Mayo and Enniskillen Airport on Monday at 11am.

Media have been invited via Gerry Lundberg PR - Any ideas??

PS.. The last time Aiken did this kind of announcement, it was Garth Brooks, just saying!!!

Interesting announcement coming up

• Advertisement

Which units?

Beside Rocco's and beside Kilcoynes

Beside Rocco's and beside Kilcoynes

One is a new Chinese 'Ocean Garden'

nuac wrote: »
    Indeed, it is a great idea. Hope they can get the finance required.

Seems as though it's all over for IrishTV

Place has been deserted the last few days and signs were being taken down outside the building.

Edit: although their Twitter is still active and they seem to still be covering events.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Looked like Parcel Motel lockers were being installed in the Topaz in Westport (Castlebar Road) today when I passed.

Might be handy in the run up to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

maudgonner wrote: »
    Looked like Parcel Motel lockers were being installed in the Topaz in Westport (Castlebar Road) today when I passed.

Might be handy in the run up to Christmas.

E-mail just received from them,

Hi Mayo Mick,
    We're delighted to announce a new Parcel Motel location at the Topaz Westport, on the Castlebar Road, Co. Mayo, F28 FP76.

Between now and January, we expect that the Parcel Motels at Stauntons, Castlebar and Casey's Topaz, Ballina will be busy. If your parcels are time sensitive and the new location is convenient for you, we recommend that you switch your delivery location to prevent any delays to your parcels.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Got the e-mail about the Westport PM today, but it shows how little confidance or interest we have in local business, a friend of mine works with Nightline and since Brexit threy have seen their business nearly treble and other competitors have made major footholds in the business.

In fairness in a time where money is tight for a lot of people it is easy to see why your local PM is the busiest destination in town, just for example Gamestop charge E74.99 for a new PS4 game, Amazon charge around E50.00 including the PM fee, the likes of Harvey Norman rip you off even worse compared to Amazon for electronic goods.

People harp on about supporting the local economy, but why should we, if you are getting blatantly ripped off and are struggling to make ends meet then why pay exorbitant prices, the smart consumer knows how to get a good deal and local retail stores are already a fossil of a by gone era.

There is honestly no defense for these stores charging far more than online stores, society moves on and so does buying tendancies, why should a person have to pay far more money just to think he is covering a retail employees zero hour contract, one that is rampent throughout the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Xenji wrote: »
    Got the e-mail about the Westport PM today, but it shows how little confidance or interest we have in local business, a friend of mine works with Nightline and since Brexit threy have seen their business nearly treble and other competitors have made major footholds in the business.

In fairness in a time where money is tight for a lot of people it is easy to see why your local PM is the busiest destination in town, just for example Gamestop charge E74.99 for a new PS4 game, Amazon charge around E50.00 including the PM fee, the likes of Harvey Norman rip you off even worse compared to Amazon for electronic goods.

People harp on about supporting the local economy, but why should we, if you are getting blatantly ripped off and are struggling to make ends meet then why pay exorbitant prices, the smart consumer knows how to get a good deal and local retail stores are already a fossil of a by gone era.

There is honestly no defense for these stores charging far more than online stores, society moves on and so does buying tendancies, why should a person have to pay far more money just to think he is covering a retail employees zero hour contract, one that is rampent throughout the county.

I had been on the lookout for a particular router for a couple of months. It was €290 in McQuillans in Dublin (no tool suplier near me had the model). I got it on amazon from manufacturer for €155 (I still think that was actually a mistake on their behalf, but I'm saying nawthing!) delivered to PM in Castlebar. Now I'm allwys shop local (Mayo, not just my own town) but there is just no way I'm going to pay nearly double.

In saying that, some things online can actually be dearer than the local shop. Most people now are very price aware and are "window surfing" (my new buzzword I heard recently! :D ).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

I'd be the same I'll check Argos Harvey we have a sh1te sale every day Norman's to see if I can get it handy then check online 9 times out of 10 online will be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

• Advertisement

Advertisement