Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

I like to see all th enew resturants, competition will keep the standards high.

I remember reading that hubs of social activity have done well in recent years, the temple bar area in Dublin setting precedent.

Clusters of similar businesses can actually complement each other a place gets know as a restaurant area or a late bar area etc. A lot of cities have embraced this think 'the west end' Galway' the Italian area in Sligo town.

Demolition work has started on the development at Bridge st. Castlebar

I wish that the planners had used the opportunity to enhance the towns river there. The main street would have benefited from having direct access to the restoration work planned for Hobins bakery.

All the same, Best of luck to Faddens, always very sound to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

voz es wrote: »
    I wish that the planners had used the opportunity to enhance the towns river there. The main street would have benefited from having direct access to the restoration work planned for Hobins bakery.

I thought it will have access?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

is there a pub included in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Demolition work has started on the development at Bridge st. Castlebar

It does have access. Got in trouble before for posting planning drawings here but if you go to the Mayo county council website you'll be able to see the drawings in the planning application area if you do a search.
    irishgeo wrote: »
    is there a pub included in this?
    It has a restaurant to the rear (carpark side) which I presume will serve booze. Might be able to order drinks with a few bites like the cafe bars do in Europe but it's not a dedicated pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

it will have access

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Thou

Seen the drawings there, fairly impressive will give a much needed lift to this part of town.

None the less it would be great to see development in the vicinity go a step further by opening up the banks either side of the bridge by knocking existing building's...(in reality this will never happen) but knock/demolish the now Bronntanas building (nice shop btw) and Exclusive Fabrics building which is an eye sore and spoils this junction...could turn this area into a plaza and then improve river walkway it would open up the view along the river and the pleasing cut stone bakery building.

Something like the above is probably too radical, expensive etc. but it would be great to see a greater plan materialise to enhance the townscape by developing social/recreational spaces, for markets etc. that incorporate the architectural heritage already there. Plenty of scope either side of Main St. for developments along these lines

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

Can someone post a link to the drawings please?
    Thou wrote: »
    Seen the drawings there, fairly impressive will give a much needed lift to this part of town.

None the less it would be great to see development in the vicinity go a step further by opening up the banks either side of the bridge by knocking existing building's...(in reality this will never happen) but knock/demolish the now Bronntanas building (nice shop btw) and Exclusive Fabrics building which is an eye sore and spoils this junction...could turn this area into a plaza and then improve river walkway it would open up the view along the river and the pleasing cut stone bakery building.

Something like the above is probably too radical, expensive etc. but it would be great to see a greater plan materialise to enhance the townscape by developing  social/recreational spaces, for markets etc. that incorporate the architectural heritage already there. Plenty of scope either side of Main St. for developments along these lines

Never mind I found them, looks very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Can you link them? Haven't seen them myself, only read about the plans.

• Advertisement

Planning applied for a 64 unit housing estate on the ring road next to Gladesville.

Just click on related documents at the top.
    martyos121 wrote: »

Can you link them? Haven't seen them myself, only read about the plans

That is great news! Main Street will benefit from affable developments like this. That is as close to a river walk as we will get. if the barracks is redeveloped its a riverish walk to the new main shopping district, somewhat unifying the town again.

Planning applied for a 64 unit housing estate on the ring road next to Gladesville.

That estate was never finished. Used to live there and the road just stopped at security fencing. Haven't seen much work yet on the college woods phase 2 yet either.

That estate was never finished. Used to live there and the road just stopped at security fencing. Haven't seen much work yet on the college woods phase 2 yet either.

Just checked the Mayo Planning website as I didn’t know where the estate was. Looked at the site plan and noticed the house numbers were 1-63 but the application says they're building 64 houses. Looked at the plan more and noticed they have two marked 46 and 47. That’s a total of 65 houses. How can you not know how many houses you’re building and how do you not number them correctly?

River refurbishments are included in the plans

Still good to see new property being built

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Dudda wrote: »
    Just checked the Mayo Planning website as I didn’t know where the estate was. Looked at the site plan and noticed the house numbers were 1-63 but the application says they're building 64 houses. Looked at the plan more and noticed they have two marked 46 and 47. That’s a total of 65 houses. How can you not know how many houses you’re building and how do you not number them correctly?

It looks to me as if 46-63 (18 units) are being added to an existing estate, and they are building a new estate 1-47 (46 units, as there'll be no number 13) = 64 units.

How can you not know this?:)

It looks to me as if 46-63 (18 units) are being added to an existing estate, and they are building a new estate 1-47 (46 units, as there'll be no number 13) = 64 units.

How can you not know this?:)

They really don't build a number 13? Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

They really don't build a number 13? Haha

Many estates, apartment blocks etc skip "13". Afaik this happens all over the world.

Called "triskaidekaphobia" - triskaideka is the classical Greek for 13.

• Advertisement

nuac wrote: »
    Many estates, apartment blocks etc skip "13". Afaik this happens all over the world.

Called "triskaidekaphobia" - triskaideka is the classical Greek for 13.

Yeah I've heard of it, just didn't know Irish builders actually skipped 13.

i once heard from a car sales man, that a lady wouldn't take a car because the reg numbers added up to 13. i seen the car in the garage.

Weird. Didn't spot the missing 13. I've heard of it but never seen it before. Does this happen often in Ireland or how common is it with new build? Like every new estate or about 1 in 10 new estates or blocks?

Anyone heard when Dealz is supposed to open?

Anyone heard when Dealz is supposed to open?

Yeah? I haven't seen any planning applications?

Yeah? I haven't seen any planning applications?

Someone mentioned it here a few pages back so was curious if there was any more news on it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Is schuh opening somewhere in Mayo? Dad saw a management opportunity going there but I wasn't aware one was opening!

if the rumours are true, the nightlife in castlebar could be going downhill even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

if the rumours are true, the nightlife in castlebar could be going downhill even further.

It was open on Saturday night, so you'd imagine if it was going to close it would have been closed then?

• Advertisement

It was open on Saturday night, so you'd imagine if it was going to close it would have been closed then?

Is this the only late night bar closure rumour.

Advertisement