Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Any word where exactly it will be? Or is it in along with the Swimming Pool?
    In the old Council Gym. Bikes and Boards have been in there for the last while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

PARlance wrote: »
    Castlebar Boxing Club getting a new home in Lough Lannagh. The base will become a centre of excellence for the region. Great to see and that area is becoming a nice little hub for sports / outdoor activities. Well positioned for the GMIT who should be expanding on their offerings in that area to create their niche.

Their current building on the mall is a lovely looking nice old stone building although no idea what state it is inside. Wonder will it be renovated or what will happen it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Dudda wrote:
    Their current building on the mall is a lovely looking nice old stone building although no idea what state it is inside. Wonder will it be renovated or what will happen it?

There are plans for that building, should happen within the next month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

I was looking at the REA page, was this always there or is there a new Estate agents coming to Castlebar?....Ellison Street it seems.

https://www.realestatealliance.ie/estate-agent/mayo/castlebar/rea-mcgreal-burke-mayo/team

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Western Alzheimers are opening a charity shop in Market Square, there has to be over 10 at this stage now in Castlebar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Xenji wrote: »
    Western Alzheimers are opening a charity shop in Market Square, there has to be over 10 at this stage now in Castlebar.

As myself and others have said before, the same thing happened in the UK in small towns.

They are now empty. Left to the drunks and chavs.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Are they getting subsidised rent in order to deter vacant units?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Are they getting subsidised rent in order to deter vacant units?

a charity shop gives tax free rent for the owner of the unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

10 exactly.

Has Rosewater closed their Main Street store, I know they are opening up or have opened a new showroom.

• Advertisement

Has Rosewater closed their Main Street store, I know they are opening up or have opened a new showroom.

Yes, closed about two weeks, one Tuesday morning a sign went up saying closing Friday, sale on from Tuesday - Friday and then gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

When is Mccarthy's opening ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

6541 wrote: »
    When is Mccarthy's opening ?

i heard st patricks weekend. but then i heard they might bring it forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

irishgeo wrote: »
    i heard st patricks weekend. but then i heard they might bring it forward.

Ad n the paper last week looking for staff,i was told the bar is on the right instead of the left as it always was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Montana Steak house is no more.

No way? Didn't even last a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Not nice to see any business fail but I'm not surprised. Was never even slightly tempted by the decor or prices.

Can anyone comment? Seemed like it had great reviews.....

I assume they just weren't getting the business?

Im not sure the business is in the town to support the amount of restaurants in it.....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Can anyone comment? Seemed like it had great reviews.....

I assume they just weren't getting the business?

Im not sure the business is in the town to support the amount of restaurants in it.....

Thats the issue isn't it. Just foot fall isn't there.

Looking at GMIT and its demise, as someone who was there from the very first day its really poor show.

The childcare store beside the church on Chapel Street is closing down.

• Advertisement

The childcare store beside the church on Chapel Street is closing down.

That's a shame. How long was it there?

Place bets on what takes its place...

Nothing
    Charity shop
    Hairdressers

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ah Inda will sort it all out now with his dying whimper as Taoiseach, or the McDonald (sp) girl will promise to fix all ;)

They may as well put a wall around Cbar now from 6pm, once all the charity/discount stores close.

I am exaggerating a bit!

yop wrote: »
    Thats the issue isn't it. Just foot fall isn't there.

Looking at GMIT and its demise, as someone who was there from the very first day its really poor show.

There is "appetite" for good eateries imo, it just wasn't a great offering from what I saw.

I was never tempted to pop in and I've tried most of what's on offer in town. It looked fierce tacky, a big mural of the wild west screamed of the 80's, the furnishings looked cheap and the steaks were very pricey... added to that you had people saying they were shipping over chips from JC's.

Bar 1, House of Plates, Mama Mias, Dining Room all seem to be doing extremely well. We couldn't get a table for 6 in HOP's calling 2 weeks in advance, went for Bar 1 instead and it was wedged.

You need to be on top of your game to survive in that area and I just don't think they were in Montana.

Remember this announcement;
    https://www.newswire.com/news/zoomi-expands-tech-development-to-ireland-16020304

Well quelle surprise its not happening. They are giving no reason.

So we can add this to the pie in the sky.

*So in their defense, I got a PM of a boardsie who had inside and explained that they couldn't get the numbers of qualified people to setup here. Real shame that.

https://www.newswire.com/news/zoomi-expands-tech-development-to-ireland-16020304

*So in their defense, I got a PM of a boardsie who had inside and explained that they couldn't get the numbers of qualified people to setup here. Real shame that.

Where did they advertise the positions?

Thats what I asked also.

I was out on the bike one day and got chatting to a guy who said that they heard of a place. I googled it and found a cut of an article.

So they didn't do a good job.

I commute to galway on an almost daily basis and 3 or 4 Mayo based people up there all having close to similar skill sets for these jobs. The others never heard of Zoomi.

Thats what I asked also.

I was out on the bike one day and got chatting to a guy who said that they heard of a place. I googled it and found a cut of an article.

So they didn't do a good job.

I commute to galway on an almost daily basis and 3 or 4 Mayo based people up there all having close to similar skill sets for these jobs. The others never heard of Zoomi.

Hadn't really heard about it either... where were all the politicians jumping on the bandwagon.

Just read the article there, they were a little bit ambitious to say the least... you would find it hard to fill those 20 highly skilled positions in Dublin let alone a town in the West of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

They were all ready to set up, job offers tentatively made to some (i was one), insurance for the innovation center in GMIT done and then at the 12th hour US corporate decided to not go through with it. Couldn't get enough people with the skills required. Very disappointing :( the lad that would have ran the irish op seemed decent and honest, he is since removed from their website staff list.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Indeed.ie

• Advertisement

Could well be a genuine story and from what I can see didn't have any political hack attached to it.

The skills they were looking for are not available here locally, I'm pretty sure of that.

Could be a case of someone Irish trying to set something up in their native land and not being able to find the help needed. If so, very unfortunate and sad for all concerned.

Advertisement