Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Could well be a genuine story and from what I can see didn't have any political hack attached to it.

The skills they were looking for are not available here locally, I'm pretty sure of that.

Could be a case of someone Irish trying to set something up in their native land and not being able to find the help needed. If so, very unfortunate and sad for all concerned.

The site manager was from Westport. I think they underestimated how much it costs to get good staff to move to the west. That was my impression anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I thought the IDA or similar bodies helped to find people with the necessary experience.

Allergan started in Westport with 25 staff about 1975. There are a wide range of skillsets and qualifications amongst the approx 1000 working there now.

Disappointing to hear that this startup could not get the people they wanted. I know quite a few who have move to the West for work.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

nuac wrote: »
    I thought the IDA or similar bodies helped to find people with the necessary experience.

Allergan started in Westport with 25 staff about 1975. There are a wide range of skillsets and qualifications amongst the approx 1000 working there now.

Disappointing to hear that this startup could not get the people they wanted. I know quite a few who have move to the West for work.

Agreed with that. Indeed.ie is probably the least used. If they had asked if we knew anyone I'm sure we would have found a few more. Skillset was different, but nothing you couldn't pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

nuac wrote: »

Yeah I brought that up myself, a lot of lads that moved away starting off would be delighted to move back and they specifically didn't want grads that would head off after a year or so. I guess they figured the skills would be cheaper than they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

There is talk around Westport again of Kelly's hardware moving from their current location to the industrial estate on the Newport road.

It seems to be talked about every few years but never happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

There is talk around Westport again of Kelly's hardware moving from their current location to the industrial estate on the Newport road.

It seems to be talked about every few years but never happens.

Well, they are in what is the worst possible location at present. Could never understand why they never moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

westport cinema have planning in for retention of emergency exits. could be a sign its getting ready to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

The new pub in Castlebar 'Bridge St.' is a good addition. Classy job and nice variety of beers spirits etc

The very best of good luck to them. It looks like a nice place from the pictures.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The new pub in Castlebar 'Bridge St.' is a good addition. Classy job and nice variety of beers spirits etc

Was in it Sunday. No TV's and people have to talk to each other! :D
    A decent spot.

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »
    A decent spot.

any they doing food?

A decent spot.

No TVs, brave move in the cultural Wasteland of Castlebar. I'd give it 6 months before the TV's get wall mounted​.

irishgeo wrote: »
    any they doing food?
    Didn't see any, that was a Sunday, which means only Coxs do food on Sundays in Cbar. Was in Bosh and Barone before that an neither do food.
    No TVs, brave move in the cultural Wasteland of Castlebar. I'd give it 6 months before the TV's get wall mounted​.

Hard to know, you get used to now having the TVs.

Didn't see any, that was a Sunday, which means only Coxs do food on Sundays in Cbar. Was in Bosh and Barone before that an neither do food.

Hard to know, you get used to now having the TVs.

The first big game or UFC fight, the place will be empty. A few lads will pop their heads in and ask "are ye showing the fight?" Then quickly turn around across the road to a TV screen. I would be surprised if they go 6 months without one.

Why is no one doing food on a Sunday? Clearly no market for it?

The first big game or UFC fight, the place will be empty. A few lads will pop their heads in and ask "are ye showing the fight?" Then quickly turn around across the road to a TV screen. I would be surprised if they go 6 months without one.

We sat in Bosh for the Liverpool/City match. There were 4 of us, asked if they did food. In that 2 hour window another 8 people came in and asked. They were directed to Coxs.
    So there is a market, maybe its not viable. The place was dead besides. If they don't do food then people may not come in. Westport then is bombed out with barfood and they all seem to do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

any they doing food?

No food yet, but talk of them doing it in the future, they were advertising for a chef not so long ago.

The pub is extremely narrow, need to go in a night that it's not packed and see what it fully looks like, great selection of drinks though and good prices.

Xenji wrote: »
    No food yet, but talk of them doing it in the future, they were advertising for a chef not so long ago.

The pub is extremely narrow, need to go in a night that it's not packed and see what it fully looks like, great selection of drinks though and good prices.

I don't drink wine, but is 5 euro a glass normal? Say it on a sign there.
    4 euro for a pint of Guinness.

I don't drink wine, but is 5 euro a glass normal? Say it on a sign there.
    4 euro for a pint of Guinness.

Usually around 6 and that's for a poor quality quarter bottle, first thing I noticed was the wine board and price.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

We sat in Bosh for the Liverpool/City match. There were 4 of us, asked if they did food. In that 2 hour window another 8 people came in and asked. They were directed to Coxs.
    So there is a market, maybe its not viable. The place was dead besides. If they don't do food then people may not come in. Westport then is bombed out with barfood and they all seem to do well.
    Mulroys do food on a Sunday AFAIK - Streets ahead of what they serve in Coxs too

sam adams used to do food on a sunday and it used to busy. I think it did well from bosh not doing it.

I know a pub in achill that doesnt have a TV. Does quite well.

it ill do well until the new pub in town hype wears off. Havent been in myself but ill have to a trip in.

• Advertisement

There is actually a TV in the new pub. I watched the rugby in there on Saturday. But it was turned on just for the match and off again at the final whistle. I think that's a good compromise. Mulroy's does great food on Sunday.
    Sam Adams will be opening again soon as it has been leased from the new owner. It will have an emphasis on good food apparently. 7 days a week

There is actually a TV in the new pub. I watched the rugby in there on Saturday. But it was turned on just for the match and off again at the final whistle. I think that's a good compromise. Mulroy's does great food on Sunday.
    Sam Adams will be opening again soon as it has been leased from the new owner. It will have an emphasis on good food apparently. 7 days a week

did you hear who the new owner is?

The owner is McNamara, County councilor from Achill. Not sure who is leasing so won't speculate

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The owner is McNamara, County councilor from Achill. Not sure who is leasing so won't speculate

I was in Bridge St with the guys that are taking the lease on Sam Adams last week. There was still a few i's to be dotted at that stage so I won't say just yet but they're planning to have it open by the end of May so it'll be public soon I imagine.

Bridge St is a great addition to the town imo. Very stylishly done throughout. They've obviously set out their stall from the start, it's a brave move not having TV's dotted around the place. The layout is also in such a way that it doesn't suit big groups. If you had more than 6 with you, you would struggle to find a comfortable spot imo. Upstairs won't be open for a while but food will be served up there in a casual style from what I've heard, 6 months was the timeline.

I hope they can make a go of it without compromising on their values, the "match" market seems to have died a bit of a death. People are watching them at home for free in a lot of cases. And then there's a big group of people that don't want screens everywhere in a pub.

I think it'll be a great spot to go with a few friends and have nice relaxed pints. No major distractions. A modern take on what an old school pub was.

I hope it's a success anyway and I hope we've started to see a bit of a snowball effect in terms of new pubs / restaurants. The more good options, the more people will start to return imo.

PARlance wrote: »
    I was in Bridge St with the guys that are taking the lease on Sam Adams last week. There was still a few i's to be dotted at that stage so I won't say just yet but they're planning to have it open by the end of May so it'll be public soon I imagine.

Bridge St is a great addition to the town imo. Very stylishly done throughout. They've obviously set out their stall from the start, it's a brave move not having TV's dotted around the place. The layout is also in such a way that it doesn't suit big groups. If you had more than 6 with you, you would struggle to find a comfortable spot imo. Upstairs won't be open for a while but food will be served up there in a casual style from what I've heard, 6 months was the timeline.

I hope they can make a go of it without compromising on their values, the "match" market seems to have died a bit of a death. People are watching them at home for free in a lot of cases. And then there's a big group of people that don't want screens everywhere in a pub.

I think it'll be a great spot to go with a few friends and have nice relaxed pints. No major distractions. A modern take on what an old school pub was.

I hope it's a success anyway and I hope we've started to see a bit of a snowball effect in terms of new pubs / restaurants. The more good options, the more people will start to return imo.

I think that is the approach going by the decor, layout and no tv.
    What was funny was that in the Bosh we were all stuck looking at the TV. Even when the game was over.
    Once we went to the bridge then we were in a circle so ended up having a good chat and a laugh.
    Saturation of phones and TV in every day life, maybe its time to go back to black!

OR I'm getting old. ***Was grumpy a long time ago, so that wont change** :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think that is the approach going by the decor, layout and no tv.
    What was funny was that in the Bosh we were all stuck looking at the TV. Even when the game was over.
    Once we went to the bridge then we were in a circle so ended up having a good chat and a laugh.
    Saturation of phones and TV in every day life, maybe its time to go back to black!

OR I'm getting old. ***Was grumpy a long time ago, so that wont change** :D

We're not getting any younger anyway.

It's good to see. I was in having a bite to eat in House of Plates one weekend afternoon there a while ago (I hate the "brunch" word). I was on my own and asked for the wifi code, can't remember the exact code but it was something like "talktopeopleinstead".... I got a laugh out of that.

I'm sure they'll throw up a big projector when we're in the All Ireland :) They might have a few TV planned for upstairs which would be the best of both worlds.

The upstairs will be for live music as well, they already have a promoter for it, nice to see some laid back music being played on the Sunday of its opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

It's nice to have music in a pub as long as the fu1cking thing isn't blowing the ear drums of ya. As long as you can talk and not have to shout to one another them the band is fine.

With the restaurant going in across from bridge street pub would they take all there business, I would have thought you had to have food to keep going in the pub trade.

Is westport cinema open?

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Is westport cinema open?

There are showtimes for this weekend in the Mayo News.

Advertisement