Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

oscarBravo wrote: »
    There are showtimes for this weekend in the Mayo News.

can you post them.

cant find them online?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

vgkWPzb2Px-srxLWlmBkniKdUkgiV3j_wzfsysb00-_8rqyQXk4xBsF2XA1f_bIr0YyrZhqH5UPDwxPYBg9UdNMN_bRGBl0N8W6Wu1Lap3pYrkQeIwantvxu2t-7fTejKsRCpknjtVMrGtwWecAVvoBONe9D-yPKDVv-7BZo3hoqIRlLIGfYerTT7o-ENHhyabOygUbIsshVZNSU002qoMJ0HTooepaDqsRA2VQJKXDBo2pU5_UXXgg-qUZMlzgvFV-1pqVGne5QCWLSKrWG-Muj-jNWXdzARpw9YhZ2Ixm5NjewwjEOLUAu-V4cEyirOl8QxzDieOLGf-pSGK6ueHVF4R49GtuNQPWFk9-Sn4E0lP5ybbKgozfdOkpKl3teohUhUSYjruRu-_kutviVkP8mvX6DdpdvMGJMKmS_mheWL7bCWkSjn27eThrtD35x3saMcV8O20LTxLD-HvEIQn4iXVZhn9h4vqxi8eGRo3hvK_tgzMAFYXsqoZuNlVBNbYZH76-lweuh4E_QbVfpqiqy_tVQh22mUYzooucMNI1kaPPWG7L1RO58nAAU0Qbur6tGSdK-C8wjrSlFPgf9XBU6MuOQcDrCYf50ZimkXGGRBxwpqV-s5QyDCaoTXcyfpZKvhc7Mz9TTqh0o5e0to5hd32ppexVGl-vaUCyVDb4=w733-h1302-no

the river development on main street is being held up over an appeal by the applicant over car parking levy of 116k. Thats a huge amount.

http://www.mayonews.ie/news/29746-castlebar-car-parking-levy-a-disincentive-developers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

irishgeo wrote: »
    the river development on main street is being held up over an appeal by the applicant over car parking levy of 116k. Thats a huge amount.

http://www.mayonews.ie/news/29746-castlebar-car-parking-levy-a-disincentive-developers

I think that is in regards to the two fire damaged units on main street, it is the Stauntons that want to demolish them and put in a new development.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Xenji wrote:
    I think that is in regards to the two fire damaged units on main street, it is the Stauntons that want to demolish them and put in a new development.

Your right it is the one further up main St. It seems the council are determined to deter any investment in the town centre with levies like this. It should be reduced by 50% or more

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »

My mistake.

My mistake.

I say they would be encountering the same situation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

How many charity shops can one town hold, another one gone in to the old mayo advertiser place.
    No more than hairdressers how can they all stay open

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

naughto wrote: »
    How many charity shops can one town hold, another one gone in to the old mayo advertiser place.
    No more than hairdressers how can they all stay open

You couldn't make it up.

I will say it again, the death of small towns in the UK was the same pattern as this.

When you don't pay rates and you get the owner a tax credit on the rent. You can why they can stay open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

You couldn't make it up.

I will say it again, the death of small towns in the UK was the same pattern as this.

The didn't die because Charity Shops started to move in, Charity Shops moved in as they began to die.

But I wouldn't be alarmist about Castlebar though and it isn't a dying retail town. The Retail Centre within town has just shifted. Also and like everywhere else, lots of retail has gone to the outskirts of town. Castlebar has a lot more retail space than it had 10 years ago and it's certainly not dying. The likes of TK Maxx don't open up in dying towns.

In isolation, the likes of Main St is in decline. That's following worldwide trends where retail is leaving high streets and generally being replaced by places to eat.

I'm all for tax breaks for Charity Shops to keep some life in streets that don't have the appeal they once had. Certainly better than an empty shop front.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

This isn't the lavelles Bakery project.

Are you all not sick of having the charity shop discussion?

This isn't the lavelles Bakery project.

I admitted my mistake further up.

In other news the welcome Inn is making moves to reopen.

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2017/04/02/4137716-mayo-hotel-initiates-reopening-plans/

I admitted my mistake further up.

In other news the welcome Inn is making moves to reopen.

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2017/04/02/4137716-mayo-hotel-initiates-reopening-plans/

Not sure that everybody will be happy with that news.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Not sure that everybody will be happy with that news.

Why not?

I heard a son of the late Tony McHugh is involved.

I did business with Tony. Found him very straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

nuac wrote: »
    Why not?

I heard a son of the late Tony McHugh is involved.

I did business with Tony. Found him very straight.

Cos a lot of people are still owed money when it went in to recivership

Why not?

1. Suppliers will have taken a hit.
    2. 45 full and part-time people lost their jobs.
    3. A shrewd bit of business that I can't image the Bank or potential buyers would have liked. Probably wouldn't sit well with some of the general public either.
    http://www.mayonews.ie/news/28234-legal-uncertainty-remains-over-castlebar-s-welcome-inn-hotel
    4. Enda won't be happy, half the town blamed him in the run in to the GE for shutting the doors. Probably just cancelled out one of his jobs announcements though.

Hope it gets a serious bit of investment anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

I hope the new owners of the Pontoon Inn make a great go of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

When will the Welcome Inn be opened ?

• Advertisement

Apparently Sam Adams is reopening

voz es wrote: »
    I hope the new owners of the Pontoon Inn make a great go of it.

The Pontoon Bridge Hotel? If so I hope they have a large amount of money to invest as all the rooms would be in need of a major refurbishment, actually most of the interior and the back of the property.

It has a great location, but it was very dated before its closure, it would be nice to see it reaching its proper potential.

The Pontoon Bridge Hotel? If so I hope they have a large amount of money to invest as all the rooms would be in need of a major refurbishment, actually most of the interior and the back of the property.

It has a great location, but it was very dated before its closure, it would be nice to see it reaching its proper potential.

The Pontoon Bridge Hotel is going up for auction tomorrow. Looking for €350k but probably needs many multiples of that.

Think Voz Es might have been referring to Healys Pontoon? There seems to have been movement on that in the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

PARlance wrote: »
    1. Suppliers will have taken a hit.
    2. 45 full and part-time people lost their jobs.
    3. A shrewd bit of business that I can't image the Bank or potential buyers would have liked. Probably wouldn't sit well with some of the general public either.
    http://www.mayonews.ie/news/28234-legal-uncertainty-remains-over-castlebar-s-welcome-inn-hotel
    4. Enda won't be happy, half the town blamed him in the run in to the GE for shutting the doors. Probably just cancelled out one of his jobs announcements though.

Hope it gets a serious bit of investment anyway.

i don't know what precipitated the liquidation. Cash coming in may be less than cash going out for a variety of reasons. Circumstances may have been out of family's control, especially since Tony's illness and death. Many other businesses have run into difficulties over the years, moreso since the general business collapse in 2008.

It is better to have some business there rather than letting it moulder for years. Some former employees may get work there, and others who traded with the old company now have access to a new customer. The town and area needs the facility

I wish the new project every success.

i don't know what precipitated the liquidation. Cash coming in may be less than cash going out for a variety of reasons. Circumstances may have been out of family's control, especially since Tony's illness and death. Many other businesses have run into difficulties over the years, moreso since the general business collapse in 2008.

It is better to have some business there rather than letting it moulder for years. Some former employees may get work there, and others who traded with the old company now have access to a new customer. The town and area needs the facility

I wish the new project every success.

I hope it's a success too. It would be of great benefit to the town.

You asked why people might not be too happy and I just listed a few groups that could fit that bill.

PARlance wrote: »
    The Pontoon Bridge Hotel is going up for auction tomorrow. Looking for €350k but probably needs many multiples of that.

Think Voz Es might have been referring to Healys Pontoon? There seems to have been movement on that in the last few weeks.

It went for €464,000 yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

It went for €464,000 yesterday.

Seen that as well, wasn't there some issue with the septic tank there?

Looks like the buyer has found a way around it.

The new owner of Helyes of pontoon has said it won't be open for another 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Seen that as well, wasn't there some issue with the septic tank there?

Looks like the buyer has found a way around it.

The new owner of Helyes of pontoon has said it won't be open for another 18 months.

Hopefully it will be the family here as well. Its in a fantastic location.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Apparently Sam Adams is reopening

Sam Adams (with presumably a new name, possibly The Yew Tree) are advertising in papers today for staff for a "Bar & Bistro"

• Advertisement

Sam Adams (with presumably a new name, possibly The Yew Tree) are advertising in papers today for staff for a "Bar & Bistro"

It's Stuart, formerly of Bosh, who's doing the advertising. Best of luck to them.

Like the thinking behind the name.

Advertisement