Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Thou

PARlance wrote: »
    Doherty's and The Athletes Foot now open on Main Street, Castlebar. Great to see the street coming back to life.

Indeed it is, nice to see an unbroken row of decent looking shop fronts for a change.
    Once the large developments either end of the street come on board, it will bring the old town centre up another level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Correct use of an apostrophe. That's something at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Thou wrote: »
    Indeed it is, nice to see an unbroken row of decent looking shop fronts for a change.
    Once the large developments either end of the street come on board, it will bring the old town centre up another level.

What are the large developments?

(Galway resident here) 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

D Trent wrote: »

(Galway resident here) 😆

The Knocking down of the bakery building and a few more opposite elverys and opening up the river to the main street.

Second one is knocking down the 2 burnt out and boarded up buildings further up the street. Across from AIB.

1st one I am not sure where it's at.
    2nd gone to ABP for an appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

D Trent wrote: »

(Galway resident here) 😆

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2016/03/02/4115475-businessmen-planning-major-castlebar-investment/

Not finished when they planned but I believe it's still progressing slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Thou wrote: »

It's looking positive anyway. There aren't many main streets that are on the up around the Country. Castlebar has a massive advantage in that its main street is surrounded by parking, and lots of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It's looking positive anyway. There aren't many main streets that are on the up around the Country. Castlebar has a massive advantage in that its main street is surrounded by parking, and lots of it.

It could discourage investment as well if Mayo CoCo do not remove or lower the €116K parking levy for the development of the area where the two burnt out buildings on Main Street are, they actually think the area needs an extra 50 spaces.

I see The Closet on Hopkins Road is closing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

irishgeo wrote: »
    The Knocking down of the bakery building and a few more opposite elverys and opening up the river to the main street.

Second one is knocking down the 2 burnt out and boarded up buildings further up the street. Across from AIB.

1st one I am not sure where it's at.
    2nd gone to ABP for an appeal.

Any further info on the knocking of the buildings by the river?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Xenji wrote:
    I see The Closet on Hopkins Road is closing down.

Hopkins road unit wont be empty long. Usually landlord has a bigger payer lined up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Thou

jenno86 wrote: »
    Any further info on the knocking of the buildings by the river?

That's wrong they're not knocking the old bakery building, it's a listed/protected structure. The building is the centre piece of the redevelopment. You can access architect plans via the council website, all discussed on this thread about 20 or so pages back.

i was bored so i looked it up.

mayo co co want a parking levy of 40k for the bakery development and 117k for the the burned out buildings development further up the street.

thats extremely high considering the abundance of car parking around both developments.

all levies are higher for the stautons development

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

irishgeo wrote: »
    i was bored so i looked it up.

mayo co co want a parking levy of 40k for the bakery development and 117k for the the burned out buildings development further up the street.

thats extremely high considering the abundance of car parking around both developments.

all levies are higher for the stautons development

That's just fuc*ing greed

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

CeX are opening a store in Castlebar and are currently looking for staff.
    No idea where it will be located yet.

ureds wrote: »
    CeX are opening a store in Castlebar and are currently looking for staff.
    No idea where it will be located yet.

Think it is going in to the unit which Leo Doherty Just vacated

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Gamestop will be struggling even more now, you will get better trade in deals with CeX and new games are always 15-20 euro cheaper in Argos for people who go the bricks and mortar route.

Xenji wrote: »
    Gamestop will be struggling even more now, you will get better trade in deals with CeX and new games are always 15-20 euro cheaper in Argos for people who go the bricks and mortar route.

SuperValu always do good deals on the bigger games. Cod battlefield batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭the_pits

New barbers opening shortly located corner Castle St,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

the_pits wrote: »
    New barbers opening shortly located corner Castle St,

Is that right around the corner from Kellys barbers?

statto25 wrote:

Think they're connected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭the_pits

statto25 wrote: »

Correct ....old phone repair shop

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

Hopkins road unit wont be empty long. Usually landlord has a bigger payer lined up

I swear multinationals must have a constant eye on that street. As soon as something leaves there's a big name moving into the premises.

Think it is going in to the unit which Leo Doherty Just vacated

It's website said it will be the old NIB building. Where Scarlet was I believe?

Welcome Inn to be renamed the Ivy Tower Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Welcome Inn to be renamed the Ivy Tower Hotel.

Is that for this week-end only? What with the big wedding there tomorrow:D?

Is that for this week-end only? What with the big wedding there tomorrow:D?

No, permanently. It's a family wedding and will be the first day of reopening.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

No, permanently. It's a family wedding and will be the first day of reopening.

Slightly disappointing if so, it didn't look like there was much renovations carried out over the last few weeks.

Great for the town that it's open again but it needed serious investment.

It's website said it will be the old NIB building. Where Scarlet was I believe?
    fair enough so. Scarlet was a few doors up. (Burnt out and boarded up now) there is a big planning app in for there. NIB building has been empty since I think.
    Leo's temporary shop has work going on too, not sure what is going in there then

Slightly disappointing if so, it didn't look like there was much renovations carried out over the last few weeks.

Great for the town that it's open again but it needed serious investment.
    Failte Suite and 10 rooms finished I believe. the renovations are to continue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

The Yew Tree was being painted today and has been included on the docu for next weekends Gin Trail so safe to assume it'll be open in time for next weekend

Advertisement