Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The Yew Tree was being painted today and has been included on the docu for next weekends Gin Trail so safe to assume it'll be open in time for next weekend

It has been advertised as part of the gin trail taking place next weekend, so I would assume so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The Yew Tree was being painted today and has been included on the docu for next weekends Gin Trail so safe to assume it'll be open in time for next weekend

Bridge Street will see the novelty of a new pub wear off so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

irishgeo wrote:

Hope not. They are doing good stuff with music etc. Hopefully there is room for all. It's tough business these days

Hope not. They are doing good stuff with music etc. Hopefully there is room for all. It's tough business these days

It's rather crowded down that end of the town. How many pubs will that be in a few hundred meters. Rockys bosh mchales cobwebs coadys yew tree bridge street bar one although that's more of a restaurant. Loads more pubs down there I can't remember the name of. At least 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

irishgeo wrote: »

It's always bananas in it anytime I've stuck my head in. I've heard some stories of the owner turning away people based on whether they fit the pubs "profile". Hopefully it's all just someone who had a few too many any got refused as that's no way to do business.

• Advertisement

Coxes, Bodhran, The Harp, Paddy Morans, Flynns

statto25 wrote:
    It's always bananas in it anytime I've stuck my head in. I've heard some stories of the owner turning away people based on whether they fit the pubs "profile". Hopefully it's all just someone who had a few too many any got refused as that's no way to do business.

Heard that story, about a Disgruntled Guinness drinker. More of a miscommunication I believe. Your right. It would not be good business

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Heard that story, about a Disgruntled Guinness drinker. More of a miscommunication I believe. Your right. It would not be good business

The tale I heard involved a couple of young clients who were told to leave and go back to their "local"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Lads, it's like the back of the church in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Was in there for 2 on Friday night before a meal, from about 8-9pm. The place wasn't that busy really but we still couldn't get a seat. It's poorly kitted out in terms of taking any size of a crowd. Maybe that was by design but it goes against business sense for me.

A high table or two, or even a few shelves to place drinks and stand around wouldn't have gone astray.

At least we passed the test and got served :) I like the place and the decor etc but there's no comfort if you don't get one of the tables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It's rather crowded down that end of the town. How many pubs will that be in a few hundred meters. Rockys bosh mchales cobwebs coadys yew tree bridge street bar one although that's more of a restaurant. Loads more pubs down there I can't remember the name of. At least 4.

Fylnns, The Harp, Stacks and The Bodhran (spelling?), Morans. Most of them would have a steady regular trade and wouldn't be competing as much for the "few pints at the weekend, not sure where to go" crowd.

I think a good concentration of pubs all within a short walking distance is a good thing. The casual weekend crowd like to have options and pub hop a bit, the more good options the more people come back into town imo. A lot of them would struggle for a weekday crowd but food seems to have replaced that for many.

I heard talk of a new pub beside Bosh too. They seem to be doing some work on the vacant pubs beside it but there's still a "to let" sign up. Anyone heard anything?

That craic wont fly for too long. If it's true I hope his advisors let him know. Anyway I wont put any stock in tales like this. I'll keep going in til he throws me out! 

Ireland West Airport has been designated as a Strategic Development Zone SDZ. good news for Mayo I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Ireland West Airport has been designated as a Strategic Development Zone SDZ. good news for Mayo I reckon

Dont know much about this, can you expand on this a small bit please.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Dont know much about this, can you expand on this a small bit please.

Hope its more than a few advance units:).

I'm no expert myself. But I understand it has to do with streamlined planning procedures for industry and other such incentives to attract investment to the area. I think specifically in relation to airline maintenance, leasing and related business in this instance. I'm sure someone better informed can expand

Good news, it has taken Knock Airport nearly 10 years to get the SDZ status.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Xenji wrote: »
    Good news, it has taken Knock Airport nearly 10 years to get the SDZ status.

Heard mention of this at least six years ago.

It is a positive development, but a pity it was not announced years ago.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Great news about that. Should help retain the airport anyway.

anything rumours on whats going into the IDA building, looks pretty finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

anything rumours on whats going into the IDA building, looks pretty finished.

Last rumour was that Irish TV were taking it.

That's clearly not happening now.

I don't think they have anyone to go into it, if they did we would all know about it.

I am struggling to think who would want to take a building of that size, you just won't get the staff in Castlebar to fill any meaningful operation.

Last rumour was that Irish TV were taking it.

That's clearly not happening now.

I don't think they have anyone to go into it, if they did we would all know about it.

I am struggling to think who would want to take a building of that size, you just won't get the staff in Castlebar to fill any meaningful operation.

lets hope the council arent given it, judging by the outstanding success of the old caseys building.:rolleyes:

Mayo has had 0 IDA visits for the first quarter of 2017, along with 4 other county's.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Appears No.11 on the gintrail will not be ready to open in time for this weekend.

Appears No.11 on the gintrail will not be ready to open in time for this weekend.

What makes you say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

What makes you say that?

Opening date has been pushed back, won't be opening tomorrow

Organisers of gin trail won't be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Xenji wrote: »
    Mayo has had 0 IDA visits for the first quarter of 2017, along with 4 other county's.

Enda is a very decent man, but seems he was reluctant to favour Castlebar or even Mayo lest he be accused of crude pork barrelling.

If Ml Ring remains as a Minister in the new setup the IDA better get out their road maps and compasses to help them find the county.

Clue will be to look for a mountain with a church on top

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

nuac wrote: »
    Enda is a very decent man, but seems he was reluctant to favour Castlebar or even Mayo lest he be accused of crude pork barrelling.

If Ml Ring remains as a Minister in the new setup the IDA better get out their road maps and compasses to help them find the county.

Clue will be to look for a mountain with a church on top

Im sure Ring would be only too delighted if he could get them to visit and if he could he would
    but it ov doesnt work like that. Im sure their strategy isnt as simple as giving every county a shout, and may the best man win.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Bridge Inn in Ballymiles re opening as a kind of truck stop i think.http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2017/06/02/4141097-the-bridge-inn-in-ballymiles-on-the-n5-has-new-owners/
    TWO prominent Mayo businessmen ? Oliver Kelleher and Kieran Tuite ? are about to breathe new life into a disused former pub in central Mayo.

Oliver and Kieran have confirmed their purchase of the Bridge Inn on the N5, near Bohola, which has been closed for two years.

The pair are already successfully involved in the running of the Village Inn in Partry.

The developers say they plan to spend ?0.5 million on the spacious premises, replacing the kitchen and upgrading the diningroom and accommodation area.

In a statement to The Connaught Telegraph, they outlined: ?We plan to re-open the premises before the end of the summer with a restaurant diner selling quality food.

?Included in the plans are public toilets and showers and other facilities for truckers and commuters on this busy thoroughfare.?

The business partners say they won't be applying for grants to develop their new property nor have they been approached by anyone offering them grants.

Their statement continued: ?Like every business, all we are asking for is that stumbling blocks won't be put in our way in the form of long drawn out rules and regulations that have become part of doing business in Ireland.

?We prefer to try and get on with the job of opening a business and creating jobs in our local community.

Speaking to The Connaught Telegraph, Oliver Kelleher says he hopes that all going well the premises will be re-opened in three months? time.

?There is great potential in the location,? he explained.

?It is situated on the main Westport to Dublin N5 roadway. The total floor area involved is over 5,000 square feet.?

Both Oliver and Kieran have played a major role in the business life of Mayo in recent decades.

In 1976, Oliver established Oliver Kelleher Castlebar Limited. The company now operates the largest hygiene and catering equipment cash and carry showrooms nationwide, selling over 6,000 products to bars, restaurants, hotels and the many major manufacturing outlets throughout Ireland.

The Kelleher family also run All-Affairs Catering Hire and Fancy Dress Shop, Gifts Supreme and OK Trophies & Awards in Castlebar.

Kieran Tuite, who is now resident in Switzerland, played a major role in sustaining jobs in Mayo in the 1980s when he was financial controller of Travenol Healthcare, now Baxter.

In the 1980s, 1,200 job losses were threatened when Travenol decided to close its operations in Castlebar and Swinford.

Kieran, along with two other members of the Mayo management team, travelled to the United States to try to convince company management there was a good future for them in Ireland.

They were given 12 months to turn the company around. Thirty years later, Baxter (Travenol) is one of the largest employers in the west of Ireland.

The Bridge Inn was previously owned by the O'Neill family.

It first came on the market in February 2015. No details of the selling price agreed with the new owners has been divulged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

They've clearly been doing something right in Partry. The Village Inn has been pulling in really big crowds since they took it over.

Not too sure about the pigs on the roof though :pac:

Advertisement