Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Castlebardude

kupus wrote: »
    Id love the castlebar river to be dredged cleaned and opened up to canoeing kayaking all the way to turlough and from there maybe to moy even!

Probably never happen though. Too many greasy fingers and nimbism and thats not even mentioning the environmentalists that will be up in arms because of the habitat of some little snail that is found only in the linenhall st stretch of the river.
    Actually wholescale dredging of rivers in ireland is badly needed.

But this idea could contribute to a year round tourism. Ive seen it in other places. I dont see why castlebar cant do it.

Great idea !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Id love the castlebar river to be dredged cleaned and opened up to canoeing kayaking all the way to turlough and from there maybe to moy even!

Probably never happen though. Too many greasy fingers and nimbism and thats not even mentioning the environmentalists that will be up in arms because of the habitat of some little snail that is found only in the linenhall st stretch of the river.

But this idea could contribute to a year round tourism. Ive seen it in other places. I dont see why castlebar cant do it.

It is a great idea, but the lake is currently and has been for years dealing with severe issues with perennial weeds, the Tidy Towns committee recently stated to the Connaught Telegraph that the lake was being polluted by high levels of nitrogen, nitrogen occurs naturally, but the levels they recorded could only come from sewage effluent which has expeditiously led to the growth of the weeds.

The above needs to be neutralized and resolved before any other developments are even considered, plants likes Water Hyacinth can actually destroy lakes, although if you are on the Bourke Keep side ( it was never a castle ) there are large parts of the lake that you cannot even see due to the vegetation growth, the CC always due a good job of the grass in fairness but nothing else is done on that side.

It is a great amenity and could be even better I use it everyday to go between work and home, but it has been largely forgotten since 2011 and the bridge opening for further development bar a few new benches.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

FaganJr wrote: »
    Second floor??

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Xenji wrote: »
    It is a great idea, but the lake is currently and has been for years dealing with severe issues with perennial weeds, the Tidy Towns committee recently stated to the Connaught Telegraph that the lake was being polluted by high levels of nitrogen, nitrogen occurs naturally, but the levels they recorded could only come from sewage effluent which has expeditiously led to the growth of the weeds.

The above needs to be neutralized and resolved before any other developments are even considered, plants likes Water Hyacinth can actually destroy lakes, although if you are on the Bourke Keep side ( it was never a castle ) there are large parts of the lake that you cannot even see due to the vegetation growth, the CC always due a good job of the grass in fairness but nothing else is done on that side.

It is a great amenity and could be even better I use it everyday to go between work and home, but it has been largely forgotten since 2011 and the bridge opening for further development bar a few new benches.

The town side of the Lake really is in a bad state. I was there at the weekend and the growth in weeds over the past few weeks needs to be seen to be believed.

Great idea re the river and the canoes. Doesn't it now flow underground for a large section before the bridge (at the barracks mini roundabout) though?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Great idea that!!!! Such an amenity sitting there.

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    The town side of the Lake really is in a bad state. I was there at the weekend and the growth in weeds over the past few weeks needs to be seen to be believed.

Great idea re the river and the canoes. Doesn't it now flow underground for a large section before the bridge (at the barracks mini roundabout) though?
    And under main St.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Thou

Agree about the river, as pointed out it would be great to see it cleaned up and in use.
    It is totally un-appreciated and not utilised in anyway as a potential amenity...while it's far from being a river of natural beauty and being a feature of the town that people identify with, it would be great to see the town make the best out of what it has, there is huge scope here in addition to much of the so called backspaces of the town.

If the river was given a proper clean up it would be great to see some landscaping added at various junctions and crossing points along the banks, for example, at the side of the brant rock building where there is currently a platform it could be planted with wild flowers and shrubs, in addition to a sculpture trail or art installations being added along the route.

Obviously it would have to be maintained and funding sourced but it's in details like this and with a little thinking outside of the box that the town's visual appeal would be dramatically improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

irishgeo wrote: »
    And under main St.

That could be the obstacle course of the canoeing section to turlough house. Lol.

Anyone know when the new swimming pool is opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

irishgeo wrote: »
    Anyone know when the new swimming pool is opening?
    Summer 2018 at best

• Advertisement

Summer 2018 at best

Seems to be taking a long time?

irishgeo wrote:
    Seems to be taking a long time?

Sure is. It came to a virtual stop for a few months. Due to some screw up with certifications I believe

Sure is. It came to a virtual stop for a few months. Due to some screw up with certifications I believe

Typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Anyone know if McDonald's coming to Ballina and what's story with Aldi - will they, won't they open?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭kerb

Hi doses anyone know if Baxter use a recruitment agency or do they hire direct

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

kerb wrote: »
    Hi doses anyone know if Baxter use a recruitment agency or do they hire direct

I would also like to know this, I was searching for this and couldn't find anything.Any info be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

nuac wrote: »
    Westport and Castlebar are close together ( about 10 miles ). There are many links and connections - personal, social, business between the two towns and their hinterlands.

Those links may be closer soon

There has been disappointment locally at the delays in extending the N5 from outside Castlebar into Westport. There are high expectations in the 'Port that the newly appointed Cabinet Minister Ml Ring will now expedite this important project

And what exactly will this new road achieve? Besides I thought this new road was going to allow motorists to and from Westport avoid Castlebar?

Castlebar deserves all it gets. Kenny treated the place with complete contempt and the town is still full of people dying to kiss his ass. He on his own could of made Castlebar a very very busy town and created the work to do so, but he actively chose not to. Its the biggest surprise that out of town visitors mention to me, why did Kenny do nothing for his own county.
    As for Wesport i can see why people are proud of Michael Ring, delivered and continues to do so for Westport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I think Baxter use Collins McNicholas as a recruiter but I've seen jobs advertised directly on LinkedIn from Baxter.

EDIT: Apologies, Allergan use Collins McNicholas, I got the two mixed up. I've only ever seen Baxter advertise jobs on LinkedIn.

Also what's the deal with coke cola factory, do they have an agency?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Richie71

Also what's the deal with coke cola factory, do they have an agency?

Coca-cola.ie -》about us -》 careers. You can refine your search to Ireland and then Ballina.

I've also seen them advertise on Indeed and irishjobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Arcon recruitment, in Castlebar, have advertised operator jobs for coke fairly recently.

Arcon recruitment, in Castlebar, have advertised operator jobs for coke fairly recently.

Thanks, I'll call them Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭kerb

Thanks, I'll call them Monday

Let us know how you got on please

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭unit 1

123shooter wrote: »
    And what exactly will this new road achieve? Besides I thought this new road was going to allow motorists to and from Westport avoid Castlebar?

This new road will cost about €180m to build, an enormous undertaking for a sparsely populated county like mayo, which will have an enormous spin off while being built, and benefits (less traffic, safer road etc) when it is built.
    A project like this is years in the making and was quietly pursued by EK to the point it is expected to go to tender soon.
    It simply would not have been feasible (can you imagine the media attitude) for EK to stand up in a bankrupt dail and thunder about building a big motorway in the whest, quite frankly it would have been absurd.
    It was quietly and subtly pursued untill there was enough funds, which happens to be about now, thanks to FG and LAB in the previous administration and their prudent management of our country.
    I suspect that realpolitik meant that with EKs departure, a watchdog was needed to ensure the completion of this and other outstanding items, and MR will do this admirably.
    To put it into context, no politician in the past, and I doubt for a very long time into the future will bring a single project as big as this to Mayo, and if people think that EK had nothing to do with it then god help us.

unit 1 wrote:
    This new road will cost about €180m to build, an enormous undertaking for a sparsely populated county like mayo, which will have an enormous spin off while being built, and benefits (less traffic, safer road etc) when it is built. A project like this is years in the making and was quietly pursued by EK to the point it is expected to go to tender soon. It simply would not have been feasible (can you imagine the media attitude) for EK to stand up in a bankrupt dail and thunder about building a big motorway in the whest, quite frankly it would have been absurd. It was quietly and subtly pursued untill there was enough funds, which happens to be about now, thanks to FG and LAB in the previous administration and their prudent management of our country. I suspect that realpolitik meant that with EKs departure, a watchdog was needed to ensure the completion of this and other outstanding items, and MR will do this admirably. To put it into context, no politician in the past, and I doubt for a very long time into the future will bring a single project as big as this to Mayo, and if people think that EK had nothing to do with it then god help us.

It's not built yet, and not much sign of it either

unit 1 wrote:
    This new road will cost about €180m to build, an enormous undertaking for a sparsely populated county like mayo, which will have an enormous spin off while being built, and benefits (less traffic, safer road etc) when it is built. A project like this is years in the making and was quietly pursued by EK to the point it is expected to go to tender soon. It simply would not have been feasible (can you imagine the media attitude) for EK to stand up in a bankrupt dail and thunder about building a big motorway in the whest, quite frankly it would have been absurd. It was quietly and subtly pursued untill there was enough funds, which happens to be about now, thanks to FG and LAB in the previous administration and their prudent management of our country. I suspect that realpolitik meant that with EKs departure, a watchdog was needed to ensure the completion of this and other outstanding items, and MR will do this admirably. To put it into context, no politician in the past, and I doubt for a very long time into the future will bring a single project as big as this to Mayo, and if people think that EK had nothing to do with it then god help us.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It's kind of hard to miss the signs of it. CPO is an advanced stage for a road project.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It's kind of hard to miss the signs of it. CPO is an advanced stage for a road project.

The CPO is an essential preliminary. Afaik that process has been completed for some time. The CPO area has been fenced off. That does not mean work is about to start. Such fencing is mainly a legal precaution to protect the title to the area CPO'd..

The road itself has been deferred a number of times. It has been allowed slip down the priority list.

Rightly or wrongly P Flynn has the name of ensuring work was done on the N5 back in the Tiger years. Many in Mayo feels that Enda could have done more to to finish the N5 into Westport. Perhaps he did not want to be accused of favouritism to his own locality.

I don't think Michael RIng wiil worry that much about the hurlers on the ditch in the Dublin media

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote:

We have been hearing things are at an advanced stage for a very long time

Advertisement