Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

We have been hearing things are at an advanced stage for a very long time

I took issue with the idea that there's "not much sign" of the road. The land required for the road has been purchased and fenced off. That's a pretty visible sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭FaganJr

nuac wrote: »
    The CPO is an essential preliminary. Afaik that process has been completed for some time. The CPO area has been fenced off. That does not mean work is about to start. Such fencing is mainly a legal precaution to protect the title to the area CPO'd..

The road itself has been deferred a number of times. It has been allowed slip down the priority list.

Rightly or wrongly P Flynn has the name of ensuring work was done on the N5 back in the Tiger years. Many in Mayo feels that Enda could have done more to to finish the N5 into Westport. Perhaps he did not want to be accused of favouritism to his own locality.

I don't think Michael RIng wiil worry that much about the hurlers on the ditch in the Dublin media

Tiger Years??

Wrong Decade Kid!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

FaganJr wrote: »
    Tiger Years??

Wrong Decade Kid!

Kid! I wish

I remember when to drive to Dublin took about four and a half hours, struggling thru' every town and village.

There have been dramatic improvements over the years.

Hope the last stretch into Westport is not allowed slip any further down the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭FaganJr

nuac wrote: »
    Kid! I wish

I remember when to drive to Dublin took about four and a half hours, struggling thru' every town and village.

There have been dramatic improvements over the years.

Hope the last stretch into Westport is not allowed slip any further down the list.

But do ya remember going through Turlough to get to Dublin! Old Skool!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

FaganJr wrote: »
    But do ya remember going through Turlough to get to Dublin! Old Skool!

The "Turlough Bypass" opened in 1990
    Hard to believe just over 25 years ago, 2 Arctics could meet on the Turlough Road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I see CEX have a branch open on the Main Street in Castlebar, just up from Gamestop.

Looks like they're going for an Apple store style of vibe. You walk in, there's a member of staff straight over "can I help you?", and the tills are in the centre of the floor

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I see CEX have a branch open on the Main Street in Castlebar, just up from Gamestop.

Looks like they're going for an Apple store style of vibe. You walk in, there's a member of staff straight over "can I help you?", and the tills are in the centre of the floor

There will be a few boys getting totally confused with the name of that spot... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

yop wrote: »
    There will be a few boys getting totally confused with the name of that spot... :D

I'm off to trade in a few bits at the cex shop... Sounds a bit funny alright .

Looking up Wikipedia it's intentional "The pronunciation of the chain's acronym name was confirmed in British TV commercials aired in March 2017 which confirmed it was the same as sex"

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    I'm off to trade in a few bits at the cex shop... Sounds a bit funny alright .

Looking up Wikipedia it's intentional "The pronunciation of the chain's acronym name was confirmed in British TV commercials aired in March 2017 which confirmed it was the same as sex"

Reminds me of this! :)

https://www.todayfm.com/The-Ian-Dempsey-Breakfast-Show/podcasts/16280/The-Ian-Dempsey-Breakfast-Show---Gift-Grub---Japp-Shex

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Faddens proposed new development has been put on hold after an appeal was lodged to An Bord Pleanála by the owner of one of the adjacent buildings on Linenhall Street, it will be November before any decision is made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Xenji wrote: »
    Faddens proposed new development has been put on hold after an appeal was lodged to An Bord Pleanála by the owner of one of the adjacent buildings on Linenhall Street, it will be November before any decision is made.

Heard there was some trouble with a boundary wall.

PARlance wrote: »
    Heard there was some trouble with a boundary wall.

Yeah a wall they want to demolish is being claimed to be a common wall going by the submission.

Fragile is closing down, they are having a closing down sale starting from Wednesday.

Fragile is closing down, they are having a closing down sale starting from Wednesday.

You could see that coming. No proper foundation that place....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Where is that place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

naughto wrote: »
    Where is that place

beside McDermotts furniture... been there a long time. sad to see another business go. lovely couple running it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

thekooman wrote:
    beside McDermotts furniture... been there a long time. sad to see another business go. lovely couple running it.

Id say it's retirement in that case. Might be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Looks like new cafe shop going in beside the old post office

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

naughto wrote: »
    Looks like new cafe shop going in beside the old post office

Best of luck to them, terrible location.

Best of luck to them, terrible location.

The last place in there was flying. Till the owner removed himself from the aituation

• Advertisement

The last place in there was flying. Till the owner removed himself from the aituation

I stand by it being a bad location, empty for how long now? No footfall worth talking about.

Castlebar is full of cafes, I really can't see one that's "out of the way" doing well.

It's right across the road from mayo co co. First one you hit from the gmit and the hospital side. Plenty people in the area. Dont know what your on about really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

It's right across the road from mayo co co. First one you hit from the gmit and the hospital side. Plenty people in the area. Dont know what your on about really.

My problem with it is parking. Very little on street parking in that area due to the lights. Also a good few in Mayo Co Co go to Rua which would be a high standard for a new place to aim for. Still, I wish them the best.

The last place I remember in it was a pop up restaurant that opened over the christmas by the guy who runs the Bay Leaf out in Horkans. At the time we didn't have any of the new recently opened restaurants, it was over christmas when people were home and people knew it would be of a decent quality as they were familiar with the Bay Leaf. It was packed but it was only open while Horkans was closed over the christmas.

In other news Fragile which just closed have signs up on the window saying Rug shop opening soon. McDermotts who own the building have the bed furniture and carpet shop in the one building across the road. It looks like they'll move some or all of that carpet shop into the Fragile building. It makes more sense. One building for bed furniture and linen with a separate one for carpets and rugs. Although not the cheapest I do like McDermotts so wish them well with it. I'm more of a timber floor man than carpets though!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It would be well down my list of locations in town anyway. It's not a deserted street obviously but looking at the businesses on it, it doesn't scream "come open a cafe" to me.

PARlance wrote:
    It would be well down my list of locations in town anyway. It's not a deserted street obviously but looking at the businesses on it, it doesn't scream "come open a cafe" to me.

I take the point ye are making. But if you are good. The location wont matter too much, see the example of Rua given. I wish them well too and will give them a chance to impress me.

Don't get me wrong, while I think it's a bad location I wish them all the best and will give it a go when it opens.

Parking outside rua is a definite plus, although not always easy to get a spot. They have been there a long time and for many its a "place to be seen". Why that is I have no idea but it's the impression I get when in there.

On another note, I always thought the old post office would make a great late bar/restaurant. Won't happen though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

It would be handy for people from the Protestant faith and people who attend events in the church located nearby.

Beverly Hills is closing down, also heard that one of the health food shops in Castlebar could be closing down as well.

Beverly Hills is closing down, also heard that one of the health food shops in Castlebar could be closing down as well.

I can't understand all these established businesses closing down now that the recession is officially over /s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I can't understand all these established businesses closing down now that the recession is officially over /s

Business is not getting any easier despite the much touted economic recovery

Possible reasons

1. Many purchases going online

2. Rents increased

3 Credit tight

4 Not many have a lot of disposable income
    c

Advertisement