Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

nuac wrote: »
    Business is not getting any easier despite the much touted economic recovery

Possible reasons

1. Many purchases going online

2. Rents increased

3 Credit tight

4 Not many have a lot of disposable income
    c

Yes, my reply was ment to be sarcastic. The recovery hasn't hit mayo at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

I wouldn't agree with that, more cars on the road, a noticeable rise in building around Castlebar, nightlife in Castlebar has picked up, new restaurants etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

6541 wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree with that, more cars on the road, a noticeable rise in building around Castlebar, nightlife in Castlebar has picked up, new restaurants etc...

Absolutely more cars in the road, building is up from a floor of zero so not hard to be an improvement. Not sure where night life has picked up, the town is dead at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

6541 wrote: »

Exactly,

The Dining Room / Mamma Mia / Pizza Bros / Appetite / House of Plates / Dining Room / Yew Tree / Bridge st have all opened in the last 2 years and are all going strong

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Exactly,

The Dining Room / Mamma Mia / Pizza Bros / Appetite / House of Plates / Dining Room / Yew Tree / Bridge st have all opened in the last 2 years and are all going strong

Nearly of the above have replaced the same business though in the same building, we have not really seen any expansion in recent years and what has been planned is being held up due to planning objections or council rates.

Lack of new housing and rental opportunities are not helping either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Xenji wrote: »
    Nearly of the above have replaced the same business though in the same building, we have not really seen any expansion in recent years and what has been planned is being held up due to planning objections or council rates.

Lack of new housing and rental opportunities are not helping either.

Just because they are in same building does not mean expansion; Dining room is a 500% improvement on McCarthys as is Bridge St on the old pub. House of plates took a building that had been empty for a long time, albeit An Carraig had the building known. And others are brand new also.

What I've really noticed in Castlebar lately is the midweek pub scene, music in many of them , crowds in many of them specifically Bridge st & Cobweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Just because they are in same building does not mean expansion; Dining room is a 500% improvement on McCarthys as is Bridge St on the old pub. House of plates took a building that had been empty for a long time, albeit An Carraig had the building known. And others are brand new also.

What I've really noticed in Castlebar lately is the midweek pub scene, music in many of them , crowds in many of them specifically Bridge st & Cobweb.

I agree. Whatever about the weekend trade mid week had definitely picked up. Wednesday in the Cobweb can be busier than most places on a weekend.

In addition you may not be guaranteed a restaurant reservation time when you ring now and only earlier or later times are available to chose from. That didn't happen two years ago. You just strolled up when you wanted in most places and got a table.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

People who don't think the recovery has hit would want to change the colour of their pills.
    The town isn't expanding... but that would be a boom, not a recovery.

Any night I've been out of late, the pubs I've been in have all been very busy. Herself couldn't get a weekend table in a few of the restaurants a few weeks back, she wasn't calling last minute either.

One thing that's worth pointing out I feel, is that pubs / restaurants don't just start to get busy when discretionary spend increases. People have gotten a bit of sense back after losing it in the boom. They're more picky now and while they will spend money, they are looking for value / experience in return. If a pub or restaurant is struggling, they need to look at themselves first.

The only real negative I can say about the town is that there's still very little for 18-30 year olds. The type of businesses that should be attracting these have done next to nothing over the last decade. Bosh, Rockys and Welcome Inn for example haven't invested much more than a few tins of paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

Beverly Hills is closing down, also heard that one of the health food shops in Castlebar could be closing down as well.

That would be heneghans.

Former Westport road stores building is knocked. Houses are being built on the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭kerb

Anyone know what happened to hungry plant factory that was to open In old volex building with lots of new jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

kerb wrote: »
    Anyone know what happened to hungry plant factory that was to open In old volex building with lots of new jobs
    it never happened... dead in the water.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

kerb wrote: »

It eat itself up! :)

Another white elephant for Mayo I'm afraid.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Has that stove masters hardwood centre beside cathal duffy's closed down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Has that stove masters hardwood centre beside cathal duffy's closed down?

No, just for summer.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No, just for summer.

Ah right, that's what I was hoping. We just got a stove in and was looking for firewood over the weekend to test it out. Went with briquettes in the end :)

When do they usually open up for the winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Heard a rumour that Iceland were opening a branch in Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

That would be great. You'd imagine it would a Lidl/Aldi size store so hard to imagine where it would be situated in the town?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

statto25 wrote: »
    That would be great. You'd imagine it would a Lidl/Aldi size store so hard to imagine where it would be situated in the town?

I used to shop in them in Belfast many moons ago and back then the food did the job, but quality of food wasn't good. But I suppose if the budget isn't in peoples houses then it has to be good.

What about that spot in Moneen, behind Brodericks and supersavers, thought they did deals on frozen food?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

yop wrote: »
    I used to shop in them in Belfast many moons ago and back then the food did the job, but quality of food wasn't good. But I suppose if the budget isn't in peoples houses then it has to be good.

What about that spot in Moneen, behind Brodericks and supersavers, thought they did deals on frozen food?

It's a place I never think of but I know the wife goes in there the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Have being getting advertising leavlets in the door the last few weeks from them kinda strange when no store nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

naughto wrote:
    Have being getting advertising leavlets in the door the last few weeks from them kinda strange when no store nearby

Building the brand I suppose. Have no idea where it would go though

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

There was a rumour going around a few years ago about Iceland coming to Castlebar,somewhere near the TF.

Maybe Iceland would build a unit?

GeoDirectory released their newest commercial vacancy report last week, Ballina has seen a drop going from 23.9% to 23% compared to this time last year, Westport has stayed the same on 12.9%, while Castlebar has seen a rise going from 20.6% to 22.6%.

GeoDirectory released their newest commercial vacancy report last week, Ballina has seen a drop going from 23.9% to 23% compared to this time last year, Westport has stayed the same on 12.9%, while Castlebar has seen a rise going from 20.6% to 22.6%.

Why do I find the Castlebar one difficult to believe...

Why do I find the Castlebar one difficult to believe...

You can see the report here for yourself.

http://dkm.ie/uploads/downloads/GeoDirectory_GeoView_Commercial_Issue_7.pdf

I'm not doubting you I'm just very surprised it went up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

lPE205Ll.jpg

This is the new cafe beside the old post office

Advertisement