Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,201 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Lukekul wrote: »
    lPE205Ll.jpg

This is the new cafe beside the old post office

Any idea who is behind it? Seems to be more of a restaurant as opposed to a coffee shop cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

PARlance wrote: »
    Any idea who is behind it? Seems to be more of a restaurant as opposed to a coffee shop cafe.

Used to visit the previous place there. All the best to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Appears to be ex Harlequin staff, possibly a polish owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Walked past it around lunchtime, not many in it but in fairness the weather is not great today and they will probably get more in on a weekday with all the clerical staff around the area, no menu outside of it so not sure of the food, but looked nice and bright inside, I think that it is Alan Lane who is behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Was in that new cafe yesterday. Great food, service and presentation. Credit where it is due. Hope they do well.

• Advertisement

Was in that new cafe yesterday. Great food, service and presentation. Credit where it is due. Hope they do well.

What's the menu like Wyelp? Is it more of a restaurant than cafe?

PARlance wrote:
    What's the menu like Wyelp? Is it more of a restaurant than cafe?

Brunch menu in the morning with full irish. Pancakes with a good variety of fresh toppings etc. Porridge other bits. Lunch menu has baked spuds sandwiches, specials. I just had a quick look at that so not sure what else. The table settings cups etc are a bit nicer than usual cafe style. So not sure if there is an evening menu also. Prices are good too. Will investigate further!

Brunch menu in the morning with full irish. Pancakes with a good variety of fresh toppings etc. Porridge other bits. Lunch menu has baked spuds sandwiches, specials. I just had a quick look at that so not sure what else. The table settings cups etc are a bit nicer than usual cafe style. So not sure if there is an evening menu also. Prices are good too. Will investigate further!

Cheers, will take a trip up in the morning myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Can't wait... will be somewhere nice to go near home. heard that they are having awful hassle with planning as to whether its a listed building or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Mayo Street Food Festival on this Sunday from noon to 6pm on Main Street. All dishes priced between €5 and €7 and provided by Appetite, The Bay Leaf, Bar One, Mulroys, House of Plates, Dining Room, Rua, The Yew Tree and De Búrca butchers.

They have a Facebook page here for more information, still looking for more volunteers I think. Really nice idea IMO, hope it draws a nice crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

martyos121 wrote: »
    Mayo Street Food Festival on this Sunday from noon to 6pm on Main Street. All dishes priced between €5 and €7 and provided by Appetite, The Bay Leaf, Bar One, Mulroys, House of Plates, Dining Room, Rua, The Yew Tree and De Búrca butchers.

They have a Facebook page here for more information, still looking for more volunteers I think. Really nice idea IMO, hope it draws a nice crowd.

The weather for Sunday is shocking bad it will def effect the crowd

naughto wrote: »
    The weather for Sunday is shocking bad it will def effect the crowd

I would try and go early, the weather will start deteriorating quite quickly after 3, I would say the yellow warning will be moved up to orange later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Shame really. Also I notice where are the Chinese and Indian food stalls ?

Would not be surprised if it was cancelled

naughto wrote: »
    Would not be surprised if it was cancelled

Was down earlier, despite the weather conditions you had about 100 people milling about, they may need to rethink the placing of the main tent if it is ran again next year, it was quite hard to get around it and see what was being made, but they have a good basis to build upon if they choose to make it an annual event.

Very good event for a first run out. Plenty to build upon for future years. The weather didn't put too much of a dampener on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

I've heard that the Spice House Indian restaurant on Main Street is being replaced with Dawat Indian, who have restaurants in Claremorris and Carrick on Shannon.

I've heard that the Spice House Indian restaurant on Main Street is being replaced with Dawat Indian, who have restaurants in Claremorris and Carrick on Shannon.

They where putting up new signs there yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

It's a shame, the food was excellent in the spice house.
    It's a grand takeaway, but not a nice place to sit down. Upstairs really needs to be gutted out and modernised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭FaganJr

corsav6 wrote:
    It's a shame, the food was excellent in the spice house. It's a grand takeaway, but not a nice place to sit down. Upstairs really needs to be gutted out and modernised.

Spice house was septic in my opinion, each to their own I suppose! Best of luck to new setup!

corsav6 wrote: »
    It's a shame, the food was excellent in the spice house.
    It's a grand takeaway, but not a nice place to sit down. Upstairs really needs to be gutted out and modernised.

I thought the food was very good at the start but it went downhill very very fast imo. Just felt corners were being cut with their ingredients as can happen restaurants that aren't doing as well as expected.

Only ever got takeaways. Restaurants with carpets belong in the 80's.

I thought the food was very good at the start but it went downhill very very fast imo. Just felt corners were being cut with their ingredients as can happen restaurants that aren't doing as well as expected.

Why do suggest that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

I got a takeaway about once a week when they started out and it was excellent. We gave it a break for a few months as we were getting married but got a few again during the summer and again I was impressed.

I heard from a few people that the food had gone downhill so maybe they chanced cutting corners and realised when it was too late, either way it's irrelevant now, good luck to the new crowd in there, we'll give them a chance.

nuac wrote: »
    Why do suggest that?

Because carpets in restaurants are extremely dated. For obvious reasons, I would have thought: they soak up all kinds of everything and unless they are cleaned professionally quite often, can leave a place feeling manky.

corsav6 wrote: »
    I got a takeaway about once a week when they started out and it was excellent. We gave it a break for a few months as we were getting married but got a few again during the summer and again I was impressed.

I heard from a few people that the food had gone downhill so maybe they chanced cutting corners and realised when it was too late, either way it's irrelevant now, good luck to the new crowd in there, we'll give them a chance.

Same here, absolutely no complaints when it first opened. We were regular customers and big fans. We just found that after maybe 3-4 months, it started to go downhill fast. We gave it a few go's but it never really improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

See on Facebook that a new business is starting Meditation / Mindfulness classes in Castlebar on Tuesday mornings, this seems to be getting very popular

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Gift Supreme closing down sale begins tomorrow.

ureds wrote:
    Gift Supreme closing down sale begins tomorrow.

That's a pity. Been on the cards for a good while though. The Kellehers are sound people

• Advertisement

That's a pity. Been on the cards for a good while though. The Kellehers are sound people

Agreed 100%

Advertisement