Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Was the plan for the ice rink always to have it closed 3 days a week for the first 3 weeks or was it a sales issue, the promoters other 3 rinks are open every day, drove past it tonight and the strong gusts have done damage to the rear of it adjacent to the tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Xenji wrote:
    Was the plan for the ice rink always to have it closed 3 days a week for the first 3 weeks or was it a sales issue, the promoters other 3 rinks are open every day, drove past it tonight and the strong gusts have done damage to the rear of it adjacent to the tent.

On the flyers it said. Thursday to sunday until school holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

They open it on the off days for any schools that want to bring kids on an outing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

What's going in to where mama mia was seen Work going on in there to day

naughto wrote: »
    What's going in to where mama mia was seen Work going on in there to day
    Lana Thai. It's a chain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I see fonenet in Castlebar has moved again..... Are they looking to try every building in Castlebar?

There was a fire in the other one so they had to move. Glad it didn't put them out of business

There was a fire in the other one so they had to move. Glad it didn't put them out of business

A fire in the old Wynnes shop?

Still, is this not the 5th time they have moved or am I thinking of something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2017/11/07/4148166-mayos-employment-growth-second-lowest-in-state/

Not sure if it was posted before, but nothing surprising in there.
    I'm working on Main St and it's very quiet compared to the other end of town, school times seem to be the busiest with traffic, but most people seem to cut through the car park to get to Penneys and avoid Main St.
    I'd safely say that Paddy Power has the most consistent business on the street, along with Supermacs both seem to have a decent few people in at any one time.
    Unit 7 and Vaughans shoes seem to have increased business in the last few months which is good to see, hopefully it'll draw more people in. Personalise it have moved into the building that Rosewater used to be in so that's another good sign. Hopefully Main St will see an increase all round as it's a nice street to walk, but like anywhere it's nicer with a few people also walking the street.

A fire in the old Wynnes shop?

Still, is this not the 5th time they have moved or am I thinking of something else?
    Yep. don't think it was very major but there was a lot of smoke damage. I can only remember them being in one other unit previously.

• Advertisement

Yep. don't think it was very major but there was a lot of smoke damage. I can only remember them being in one other unit previously.

I'm thinking of another company so..... The one that was in the place that is now the driving learners centre or next door to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Dealz coming to Ballina.

The photography and gift shop is closing in Cavendish Lane, I have not read the article yet in this weeks Connaught, but it looks like Faddens projected new development might have to wait even longer to start

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Not specifically applicable to the thread, but have to say, great to see the pubs and restaurants so busy in Castlebar over the xmas.
    I'd normally have a night in Westport and/or a night in Galway over the xmas period, but felt there was enough pubs / gigs to keep me at home all over xmas.

Hopefully it keeps on the upward curve

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Speaking of, I was in garbos a couple of times over the xmas. Very nice after the renovation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Has a Lana restaurant/take away opened in Castlebar or so i heard?

See previous posts, opening soon, premises looked very close to being ready today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Lovely atmosphere coming up to Christmas in Castlebar. My granny was in hospital so we managed to get into the town for lunch and dinner one day and all the food was fantastic (Café Rua and Bar One), people very friendly and great atmosphere. Band doing the rounds of the places with Christmas music. I haven't spent much time in Castlebar since I was a child but I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭FaganJr

See previous posts, opening soon, premises looked very close to being ready today

Looks like you can order from their website

missmatty wrote: »
    Lovely atmosphere coming up to Christmas in Castlebar. My granny was in hospital so we managed to get into the town for lunch and dinner one day and all the food was fantastic (Café Rua and Bar One), people very friendly and great atmosphere. Band doing the rounds of the places with Christmas music. I haven't spent much time in Castlebar since I was a child but I really enjoyed it.

Yes, it's a great place for a night out when there are people around and as I have said on here before I think it is a better night out then Westport. I have always found the atmosphere more mature in Castlebar than Westport.

The only problem is, for the rest of the year castlebar can be a ghost town (apart from a couple of weekends/events) and it is utterly depressing walking into a bar with a guy trying his best to get the 3 ould lads to listen to his music. I can see why people head off to Westport, especially the young crowd.

• Advertisement

FaganJr wrote: »
    Looks like you can order from their website

The chain has always been takeaway first and restaurant second, should be miles ahead takeaway wise of what is currently in town though from past experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Where is it exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Yes, it's a great place for a night out when there are people around and as I have said on here before I think it is a better night out then Westport. I have always found the atmosphere more mature in Castlebar than Westport.

More mature Oh My God. Such a untrue statement. It's like a Castlebar thread this. Which is fine. No problem promoting one's own town but keep it real. I work in Castlebar and I quite like it. Westport has a lot of nightlife. Mature and young if you like :). It's hard to have it all I suppose. Castlebar is the shopping centre for Mayo and has a lot going for it. Maybe their is ways going forward the two towns can cooperate. Who knows.

Where is it exactly?

It’s taken over the premises that Mama Mia had, between Rocky’s and Coxs

yorlum11 wrote: »
    More mature Oh My God. Such a untrue statement. It's like a Castlebar thread this. Which is fine. No problem promoting one's own town but keep it real. I work in Castlebar and I quite like it. Westport has a lot of nightlife. Mature and young if you like :). It's hard to have it all I suppose. Castlebar is the shopping centre for Mayo and has a lot going for it. Maybe their is ways going forward the two towns can cooperate. Who knows.

I dare say I am out more often on nights out than most. I predominantly head to Westport because Castlebar is so dead. It's a 90%/10% split in favour of Westport. 7 or 8 years ago I wouldn't have ever gone to Westport.

I stand by my statement about Castlebar being more mature, not the best choice of words but probably the most diplomatic. Have a look through my post history, I'm often extremely critical of Castlebar in general and have been called out on it here in the past (a town full of cafes and hairdressers). Westport can be odd at times when the stag and hen season is in full swing, it's a weird mixture of people that don't always gel. I find Castlebar night life more friendly by far, just a shame most of the 25-40 year old have left or are at home with no money.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,202 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Jan 15th (or there abouts) as per Fbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,202 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

yorlum11 wrote: »

I think I know what was meant by mature. I think it's the people that are out that are "mature", i.e an older crowd/only the older crowd. There have been barely any 18-25 years olds to be found in Castlebar for years. They're all drinking at home and hopping on buses to Westport. The people out drinking in Castlebar are probably 30+ crowd. And over the last 12 months, a midweek scene has started to begin. The Cobweb for example, will be busy on a Wednesday will 30-40 somethings. There will be a bit of a crowd in Bridge St too midweek, Comedy Gigs being started etc. Gigs on in the Presbyterian Church & Garbo's etc, it's great to see but all for an older crowd.

The nightclubs are open again, this might change things but youngsters want somewhere new and exciting to go. I don't think reopening the same old same old will do it for them. I was oddly happy to see a Garda Van out in town one night in November, I can't remember the last time I had seen one. Even though they normally spell trouble, it was good to see that something might be happening.

Thinking selfishly for a second, Castlebar is a great spot for me at present. Mid 30's, settled, not able to do wild nights etc... I can head out and there'll never be a hen, stag or crowd of 18 year olds in the pub. However, I would much prefer the hassle and a few more Garda vans if it meant that the kids had a good nightlife scene in town.

Westport has a good mix of both and completely outperforms Castlebar at present, but that's no bad thing. One of the best things about living in Castlebar is having Westport so close.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Lana open today at 5 to 10.30

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

I don’t think the nightclubs in town did much business over the Christmas heard from a good few that they went to the tf and left after 20 mins cos the place was bitter cold no heat on.
    Same with the lounge very small crowds going to it again people complaining it was so cold.
    With bosh closing and rumours of Coxs aswell not a great start to the new yr.
    Have to say bridge street is an excellent pub thers so much going on.

• Advertisement

naughto wrote: »
    I don’t think the nightclubs in town did much business over the Christmas heard from a good few that they went to the tf and left after 20 mins cos the place was bitter cold no heat on.
    Same with the lounge very small crowds going to it again people complaining it was so cold.
    With bosh closing and rumours of Coxs aswell not a great start to the new yr.
    Have to say bridge street is an excellent pub thers so much going on.

Is Bosh closing down or just changing hands?

Advertisement