Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

6541 wrote: »
    Seriously, have a look, the whole block that contains Hanely's shop, imperial hotel is falling in on itself. On Spenser street, old Morans pub and the buildings beside it are falling in on themselves. They will all need to be flattened.
    We should get the developer who knocked the listed building near there to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Thou

irishgeo wrote: »
    We should get the developer who knocked the listed building near there to do it.

Ah here dunno which is worse the OP or this attempt at looking to get a reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,203 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

6541 wrote: »
    Regardless of the renewed sense of optimism I had the pleasure of walking from Cathal Duffy's roundabout into town via Spenser street, that whole section of town is in a complete state of disrepair. The buildings are falling in on themselves.

It's more pleasurable to drive... more often than not, you'll drive into a game of chicken on Spencer Street.. I've yet to stop to oncoming traffic, can be a bit of a buzz. You would barely notice the buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Any idea whats happening at the back of Stauntons Costcutter/Pharmacy?
    Heard mention of another restaurant of some sort but heard nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Any idea whats happening at the back of Stauntons Costcutter/Pharmacy?
    Heard mention of another restaurant of some sort but heard nothing since.

Is the doc Patterson goi g in to it.

Heard Healy’s in pontoon got the go ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

National Development Plan

To be announced in Sligo on Friday next.

Obviously Sligo will be added as a growth centre or similar,

There may not be much of value for Mayo.

Mayo Co Council NPF submission makes a case for building on the growth of the main towns in Mayo, Ballina, Castlebar and Westport.

Much of the hinterlands of those town are too far for practicable longterm commuting to Galway or Sligo ( even if Galways traffic problems were solved )

Back about 1970 the then Urban Councils of Castlebar and Westport combined in a planning study of the two towns and their hinterlands. That included a population survey, assessment of educational facilities etc. The project was recommended by the then County Development Officer Seán Smyth as part of a plan to attract a large industry, Corah, which was seeking a site for a 500 job plant.

The survey was completed by McCarthy and Ptners Town Planners. Sadly Corah did not proceed in Mayo for reasons internal to Corah.

However the groundwork in that plan helps to make the case for Castlebar/Westport combined as a development centre ( or whatever is the current buzz-word ) That idea counteracts the usual putdown "one for everyone in the audience etc". Unless some Mayo towns are designated for realistic development we will be left go deo as just a feeder and dormitory area for industrial plants and other projects in Galway and Sligo.

So, would Mayo TDs and Senators now speak up for their county?. If ye don't Mayo will be left a blank space on the National Planning maps

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Its too late now, back in November a map was produced that showed Mayo outside the main NPF framework, concerns were raised then but it looks like it was all talk and no real action.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Anyone know what mchales pub are building beside the pub in castlebar?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

irishgeo wrote: »
    Anyone know what mchales pub are building beside the pub in castlebar?

It's an extension to the main pub, a late bar is what I heard.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Has Lana in Castlebar started doing deliveries yet? The menu looks great but I'm fierce lazy :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Has Lana in Castlebar started doing deliveries yet? The menu looks great but I'm fierce lazy :)

You are missing out, get in there and get that sweet chilli chicken and noodles

Mickeroo wrote: »

There was a review for it in The Mayo Advertiser and they mentioned deliveries - that if you download the Lana app you can get 10% off

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Last few times I looked at the app it said collection only. Will give it a gawk at the weekend. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Has The Welcome Inn closed again in Castlebar?

Has The Welcome Inn closed again in Castlebar?

There was a fire in the main kitchen a few weeks back and the hotel has been closed since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

statto25 wrote: »
    There was a fire in the main kitchen a few weeks back and the hotel has been closed since.

I see. Must have been a bad fire?

I see. Must have been a bad fire?

Im not too sure of the extent of it. Its a shame as they lost a lot of business for the weekend of the Dublin game and haven't been allowed open since.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

statto25 wrote: »
    Im not too sure of the extent of it. Its a shame as they lost a lot of business for the weekend of the Dublin game and haven't been allowed open since.

Something to do with the gas line I heard that’s why it’s still closed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

RHJ wrote: »
    Yes it has there was a fire in the kitchen and they closed due to smoke damage. That's what the sign they have up on the door said.

Heard the fire spread through the vents, from a member of the fire brigade. It was a lot worse than they originally thought... i.e just a kitchen fire.

Smoke damage takes a lot of work to get right, smell takes ages to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

PARlance wrote: »
    Heard the fire spread through the vents, from a member of the fire brigade. It was a lot worse than they originally thought... i.e just a kitchen fire.

Smoke damage takes a lot of work to get right, smell takes ages to leave.

All vents should have had fire and smoke dampers which automatically close when the fire alarm goes off. (I'm on about proper mechanical ventilation you get in kitchens and public buildings not the extract fan you have in your bathroom at home) This is to stop smoke spreading around a building suffocating people. Must be a very old system that was never updated if it didn't have the dampers.

Dudda wrote: »
    All vents should have had fire and smoke dampers which automatically close when the fire alarm goes off. (I'm on about proper mechanical ventilation you get in kitchens and public buildings not the extract fan you have in your bathroom at home) This is to stop smoke spreading around a building suffocating people. Must be a very old system that was never updated if it didn't have the dampers.

I would be very surprised if it was a new sysytem. Everything seemed under control at one stage (kitchen) until the fire services started to carry out routine checks of vents etc and got a bit of a shock when doing so. That was from the horses mouth.

I think the fact that it's still closed backs that up. If it was confined to the kitchen they could have been open relatively quickly. I even think they planned to be open for accommodation that weekend, at one stage of the day.

I would be very surprised if it was a new sysytem. Everything seemed under control at one stage (kitchen) until the fire services started to carry out routine checks of vents etc and got a bit of a shock when doing so. That was from the horses mouth.

I think the fact that it's still closed backs that up. If it was confined to the kitchen they could have been open relatively quickly. I even think they planned to be open for accommodation that weekend, at one stage of the day.

They actually naively posted on FB that they would be back open for lunch that very same day, as they had "2 kitchens"!!

New swimming pool in Castlebar on course for June opening as per CT facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

New swimming pool in Castlebar on course for June opening as per CT facebook page.

Does it specify if it's June this year or next? That job has missed a lot of deadlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Any word on the Ivy Tower

Dudda wrote: »
    Does it specify if it's June this year or next? That job has missed a lot of deadlines.

Ha, no specifics. It does look like it's coming along fairly well though.

Ha, no specifics. It does look like it's coming along fairly well though.

Which cant be said for the Ivy Tower

Which cant be said for the Ivy Tower

Exactly, I hate to be a broken record but The Welcome Inn not being (able to be) sold outside of the family was a disaster for the town. There's clearly no money to give it the investment it badly needed. A few coats of paint won't cut it.

That place could be a hopping multi story nightclub at this stage and the buses would be coming into town... if it had the right people, with money, behind it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

So, according to the Council there is no money to complete the running tracks and pitches in phase 2 of the plan for Castlebar. Despite Enda and Co announcing it half a dozen times in run ups to elections etc. There is also another delay in the opening date for the swimming pool.

In other news the planning office has refused permission for a major retail development by Jackita Ltd on Main St. And there is still no sign of a start on the much heralded development at bridge St.
    Good times.

Advertisement