Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Skyfish

Hi Guys can you fill me in on the purpose of this thread? Is it to inform about new opening business and closing business in Mayo. To what end? Just to know or help them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Skyfish wrote: »
    Hi Guys can you fill me in on the purpose of this thread? Is it to inform about new opening business and closing business in Mayo. To what end? Just to know or help them out?

Both, I’d hope. It’s a great resource for those of us who aren’t in the loop when it comes to this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭FaganJr

The KFC in Castlebar rumour which has been around for years seems to be finally coming to fruition, The company that has the KFC and Pizza hut franchises in Ireland have applied for planning to Construct a restaurant in Castlebar retail park

Had a look at the proposal and its two applications, one for a coffee shop / Restaurant at the main entrance to the Retail park and the Drive through further down, looks like across from the rear of Monaghans.
    Probable franchises will be KFC & Costa

• Registered Users Posts: 21,203 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Ivy Tower reopening this weekend. Probably just trying to cash in on a bit of Bank Hol Nightlife. Drove past it earlier, it's depressing seeing it done so half arsed... they had high stools outside earlier to make up a make shift outdoor drinking area. Nothing but youngsters hanging around it (not drinking).

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

FaganJr wrote: »
    Had a look at the proposal and its two applications, one for a coffee shop / Restaurant at the main entrance to the Retail park and the Drive through further down, looks like across from the rear of Monaghans.
    Probable franchises will be KFC & Costa

Is that in the area in front of Conways at the side of the tile shop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭FaganJr

clogher71 wrote:
    Is that in the area in front of Conways at the side of the tile shop?

Yes but up directly across road from rear of Monaghan's

A new addition to Castlebar business is a dog grooming shop. Fully regristered and quailified. Located near the old Mona Lisa hairdresserd. For all our dog loving friends.

Can I ask if anyone knows if the Ivy Tower is fully operational. I have seen the doors open but not sure. I was sending them regular business but had to stop due to the fire. I would like to send it again but only if they are fully open

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Can I ask if anyone knows if the Ivy Tower is fully operational. I have seen the doors open but not sure. I was sending them regular business but had to stop due to the fire. I would like to send it again but only if they are fully open

A phone call is prob your best bet to them.they really need to advertise the sh1te out the place if it is fully open

From their facebook page. June 8th.

"Whilst we are only open on a selected number of dates at the moment our focus is on doing it well.

We have worked very hard on our bedrooms and its a credit to our accommodation staff and staff in general.

We have a great team.

Thanks so much to everyone who took the time to review us this year, its a huge help as we find our feet again."

It's all over the place. The comments section has a story of a man popping in for a pint on Friday evening, only to be told there was no barman on duty.

I hope it fails and fails fast at this stage. Let someone who has money to invest in the place take over and help bring some life back into town.

(It would be great if the current owner could do that but there's no sign of it happening anytime soon)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

PARlance wrote: »
    From their facebook page. June 8th.

"Whilst we are only open on a selected number of dates at the moment our focus is on doing it well.

We have worked very hard on our bedrooms and its a credit to our accommodation staff and staff in general.

We have a great team.

Thanks so much to everyone who took the time to review us this year, its a huge help as we find our feet again."

It's all over the place. The comments section has a story of a man popping in for a pint on Friday evening, only to be told there was no barman on duty.

I hope it fails and fails fast at this stage. Let someone who has money to invest in the place take over and help bring some life back into town.

(It would be great if the current owner could do that but there's no sign of it happening anytime soon)
    If your hoping for something why not hope that its gets back on track instead of hoping it fails.
    I had a few pints in it before the fire.It was grand,not busy maybe one other person and the owner and barman.Not my first stop but I hope it does well and gets back on its feet!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I agree about hoping it fails, how many chances can one place be afforded, not to mention how many people have been burned in the past, if the nightlife in Castlebar is to be improved, it needs to be more progressive and not dwelling on a dinosaur of a business from the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I suggest some posters are being unfair here.

The McHughs have done a lot for business in Castlebar. The built up the Welcome Inn into a major entertainment venue.

In property development the late Tony McHugh carried out massive developments in the town. He had a very good business reputation. His word was good.

His death while in his prime was a tragedy for his family and a major loss to the business life of the town.

Let us give the McHughs a chance. They have come thru difficulties before and I am confident they will do so again.

I wonder have all the posters here criticising them any practical hands-on experience of establishing and growing a business in today's competitive environment?. Never easy

If your hoping for something why not hope that its gets back on track instead of hoping it fails.
    I had a few pints in it before the fire.It was grand,not busy maybe one other person and the owner and barman.Not my first stop but I hope it does well and gets back on its feet!

It's hardly going to get back on track if, on the odd occasions it opens, you have cases like your own experience. 2 people in having pints isn't going to pay a barman and the owner.

If it opened up and it was thriving, then yes, you could hope the much needed investment might be on the horizon. But it's not going to thrive in it's current state. We've seen enough already to know that. It's a fairly bad state of affairs when it can't take the crowd from Cox's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The same mchughs that pulled the fiddle to get the place out of anyone else's hands who might have had better plans. By only bankruptcy the hotel and not the function room.it basically stopped anyone else from buying it

nuac wrote: »
    I suggest some posters are being unfair here.

The McHughs have done a lot for business in Castlebar. The built up the Welcome Inn into a major entertainment venue.

In property development the late Tony McHugh carried out massive developments in the town. He had a very good business reputation. His word was good.

His death while in his prime was a tragedy for his family and a major loss to the business life of the town.

Let us give the McHughs a chance. They have come thru difficulties before and I am confident they will do so again.

I wonder have all the posters here criticising them any practical hands-on experience of establishing and growing a business in today's competitive environment?. Never easy

I would suggest that some posters are living in the past. The Welcome Inn failed and the only reason the McHughs came through the last difficulty was due to a quite creative bit of ownership rights... basically deeming the place unavailable for purchase from the bank by anyone outside the family. Denying potential new owners and the town of a new offering.

I'm struggling to see what gives you confidence it could be turned around. It was in steady decline for years before lots of people got burnt. The reopening didn't offer any hope for me. I pass it regularly. The only time I say a crowd there was the wrong crowd for me.

I have experience, not on a big scale. Does the new owner that you've confidence in have experience? I know people with the experience to turn the place around were disappointed they couldn't buy the place, that's the disappointing thing. The town could have really done with it but sure you'll still have people living in the past saying how great things once were.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ClaptonBay

Does anyone know if the new swimming pool is still on course to open end of the month?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

ClaptonBay wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the new swimming pool is still on course to open end of the month?

Mayo News reporting it has been further delayed.

Same confirmed at the Castlebar Municipal District monthly meeting last Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Went back 3 pages and didnt see anything so dont think this was mentioned.

Lidl have announced they are going to apply for Planning permission in Claremorris.
    They have openday in McWilliam tomorrow for anybody who wants to see their plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

A building for a coffee shop/cafe is being built beside the river in front of tk maxx where there is currently a yard area. wonder who’s planned to go into it...?
    The building plans look really nice!

and it has a drive thru?... starbucks? Costa?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

A building for a coffee shop/cafe is being built beside the river in front of tk maxx where there is currently a yard area. wonder who’s planned to go into it...?
    The building plans look really nice!

and it has a drive thru?... starbucks? Costa?

Is that in the Homebase yard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

statto25 wrote: »
    Is that in the Homebase yard?

appears to be

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

thekooman wrote: »
    appears to be

I wonder does the Drive-Thru mean it will be a food franchise also ala McDonalds or Burger King? Do Starbucks//Costa have drive-thru facilities in other branches?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

statto25 wrote: »
    I wonder does the Drive-Thru mean it will be a food franchise also ala McDonalds or Burger King? Do Starbucks//Costa have drive-thru facilities in other branches?

You pretty much can't move more than 1 mile in the UK without going through a Costa or Starbucks drive through.

The Costa ones are normally located with KFCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

The plans look nice. Lots of Glass. Looks like a chain outlet. Being built by Cavendish lane. (Cosgrove's)

Although I didn't notice a drive through when I looked last week

The plans look nice. Lots of Glass. Looks like a chain outlet. Being built by Cavendish lane. (Cosgrove's)

Although I didn't notice a drive through when I looked last week

you can see a drive through lane on the plans

You pretty much can't move more than 1 mile in the UK without going through a Costa or Starbucks drive through.

The Costa ones are normally located with KFCs.

i doubts it’s Costa because MBCC didn’t file the application, but they did for the KFC restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

you can see a drive through lane on the plans

Where are the plans? Can you send me a link? Ta!

There is a big round what looks like a window but could be a a signage area reminiscent of Starbucks design. Hopefully it's an independent operation.

• Advertisement

Where are the plans? Can you send me a link? Ta!

Search the council.planning section. Don't think we can link the drawings

Advertisement