Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,203 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

yep. That's the problem when the powers that be have no real strategy for promotion and tourism or whatever. mixed messages, poor communication and different people pulling in different directions. there is no real way to express this to the council as far as I know anyway

It's a shame because the Barracks could be a phenomenal asset for the town if there was a real strategy behind it. There are so many uses that could provide something special to the town.

Same for Dalys Hotel. It's demoralising seeing those 2 landmarks in the town under Council comtrol and nothing really happening with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Thou

PARlance wrote: »
    It's a shame because the Barracks could be a phenomenal asset for the town if there was a real strategy behind it. There are so many uses that could provide something special to the town.

Same for Dalys Hotel. It's demoralising seeing those 2 landmarks in the town under Council comtrol and nothing really happening with them.

Sure is demoralising, remember reading an article a few months ago in the local press about a considerable amount of funding for heritage projects across the county, and not least the recent announcement on Moorehall. Just for context the Land League was one of the most important national movements in modern Irish history, Davitt was an extraordinary national figure and international figure, an inspirer of Gandhi, and not least he was Mayo born and bred, yet the building where all this began is let fall into a state of disrepair, why is there such a dearth of respect by the powers that be for vitals aspects of our heritage, Why such neglect? Is it not past time to develop a strategic plan to see innovative projects in the arts to enhance the county town's appeal, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

Xenji wrote: »
    Heatons is closing down, 20% off everything.

It was bought out. Reopening in 2 weeks under the name Brands Max

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It was bought out. Reopening in 2 weeks under the name Brands Max

Looks like a very similar business to TK Maxx.

Mike Ashley is behind it, TK Maxx have taken them to court over trademark infringement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Is the sports shop staying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Any idea what is going in to the old Vodafone unit in Main St Castlebar?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Connaught Telegraph reporting Fort Wayne Metals(a US based company) is going to invest 5 million euro in the IDA site.

irishgeo wrote: »
    Is the sports shop staying?

Don't really know. Brandsmax.com isn't as sport orientated but you will find sports equipment, jerseys etc. It very much seems like a TK Maxx style shop so no real dedicated sports section.

That said, they could always keep the Sports Direct section as is upstairs. I imagine it does fairly well.

PARlance wrote: »
    Don't really know. Brandsmax.com isn't as sport orientated but you will find sports equipment, jerseys etc. It very much seems like a TK Maxx style shop so no real dedicated sports section.

That said, they could always keep the Sports Direct section as is upstairs. I imagine it does fairly well.

The sports section is actually going to get bigger

Any idea what is going in to the old Vodafone unit in Main St Castlebar?

Gerry McGuire’s is moving into it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Gerry McGuire’s is moving into it

They seem to sell designer goods, shoes and handbags. Its great to see a shop taking a punt on Main Street but I'm not sure Castlebar has the market they will need to prosper in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

They've had a unit across from the bank of Ireland for years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Lukekul wrote: »
    They've had a unit across from the bank of Ireland for years

Have they....Shows all I know so!!! I stand corrected :pac:

statto25 wrote: »
    They seem to sell designer goods, shoes and handbags. Its great to see a shop taking a punt on Main Street but I'm not sure Castlebar has the market they will need to prosper in the town.

They closed their Sligo store recently, I shouldn't know this, but I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I see heat merchants are opening a store next to Euro Car parts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

That's good. Choice is good. I know Heaton Buckley and other places do some plumbing but feel Hurst had a bit of a monoply or was the only go to place in Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Where they not in Castlebar before where the Pet Store is?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Euro car parts is where?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Dudda wrote: »
    That's good. Choice is good. I know Heaton Buckley and other places do some plumbing but feel Hurst had a bit of a monopoly or was the only go to place in Mayo.

They might be the only place but dealing with them is always a pleasure, The staff are great, and not afraid to haggle a price. Never had a problem there and can recommend them all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

kupus wrote: »
    They might be the only place but dealing with them is always a pleasure, The staff are great, and not afraid to haggle a price. Never had a problem there and can recommend them all day long.

100% in agreement with this. Knowledgeable staff and brilliant to deal with. Nothing is too much trouble.

• Advertisement

Seems to be something going in Beverly Hills old unit. Also in the old Yasmine G

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

There's a new butcher's going into Yasmine G, "Gilligan Family Butchers", don't know whats going into Beverly Hills though

Work going on inside what was Personalise It on Main Street Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

Is Downtown Records gone in Castlebar? Would be a great pity. Wonderful place over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Personalise it: Barber shop going in there.

Downtown records:

Yep. Seems to be gone. Sign down and stock cleared

Two steps forward one step back for main St. It's tough going there

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Need to get rid of half the dross shops on Main street and entice some bigger retailers onto the street imo to make it busy again

Need to get rid of half the dross shops on Main street and entice some bigger retailers onto the street imo to make it busy again

Any information on what's happening with development on Bridge st. and Lavelles bakery building?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Thou wrote: »
    Any information on what's happening with development on Bridge st. and Lavelles bakery building?

No idea, was the council not asking for crazy rates?

What is happening further up the street? I know their was objections by a neighbor who thought the would would damage a wall, has this passed this stage?

Personalise it: Barber shop going in there.

Downtown records:

Yep. Seems to be gone. Sign down and stock cleared

Two steps forward one step back for main St. It's tough going there
    Downtown Records in Westport closed as well.

• Advertisement

ureds wrote: »
    Downtown Records in Westport closed as well.

You'd imagine for an independent record store in both instances they've lasted longer than most.
    Not many left in most towns around the country.
    Real shame but I'd say they did really well to last as long as they did.

Advertisement