Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Need to get rid of half the dross shops on Main street and entice some bigger retailers onto the street imo to make it busy again

Big retailers need big units. Council refused planning to a proposal recently as it was out of character for the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

No idea, was the council not asking for crazy rates?

What is happening further up the street? I know their was objections by a neighbor who thought the would would damage a wall, has this passed this stage?

The permission was granted late in January with conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Thou

Big retailers need big units. Council refused planning to a proposal recently as it was out of character for the street.

Looked like they granted planning to the large proposal at the burnt out building between Fahey's and old Tweed Centre, but ran into problems in the end around parking levies or something.

The one in the building where Podi is, was refused as it would have been out of character with rest of street, which upon review would look to have some merit in the reasoning.

In relation to the former pity council could not facilitate it, could be long time before such a development opportunity arises again.

Outside of that while it's easy to the point finger of blame at the council from here, there seems to be no real incentive or werewithal to see the town progress and see projects go ahead, if so its at a snails pace, same with the visual appearance of certain areas..

For example the fine town houses on Ellison St, could do with a lick of paint, does the council have the power to facilitate/encourage this or does improvements in the appearance of such buildings lie solely with the property owners?

Development in the Podi Building was small. It went ahead and is now Dr. Pattens surgery. The one across the street designed by Taylor architects was much larger and was refused for being out of Character. I think there is some legislation around vacant properties. Which allows fines to be issued. But I'm not sure how much that is enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Of the three big development applications for main street (Old Upper Crust, the two burned out buildings further up the street and the old Irwin's store) have any of them been approved/got the go ahead?

I would feel if any of them actually go ahead it could entice a few larger stores to setup on main street also which could liven it up a bit

• Advertisement

Great news on further development for Lough Lannagh today. In conjunction with Mayo GAA according to the Connaught.

(Can't post links from phone)

Of the three big development applications for main street (Old Upper Crust, the two burned out buildings further up the street and the old Irwin's store) have any of them been approved/got the go ahead?
    upper crust approved. Burnt out buildng development refused. Dunno what the Irwin's one was. Besides the doctor's surgery. Which has been completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,203 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Great news on further development for Lough Lannagh today. In conjunction with Mayo GAA according to the Connaught.

(Can't post links from phone)

Great news until you realise there's a swimming pool without water, a climbing wall without a wall and a phase 2 without a phase 2.

The GAA will get their bit done, I wouldn't be too optimistic on the Council's side.

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2018/08/23/4160809-plans-for-new-mayo-gaa-training-centre-at-lough-lannagh/

Development in the Podi Building was small. It went ahead and is now Dr. Pattens surgery. The one across the street designed by Taylor architects was much larger and was refused for being out of Character. I think there is some legislation around vacant properties. Which allows fines to be issued. But I'm not sure how much that is enforced.

You sure about that? If you look on council planning website there was a total demolition and replacement proposed for current podi building on the grounds it was unfit for extension and refurbishment. New design was refused for being unsympathetic to streetscape and old building still fit for purpose.

The larger development proposal which extends back to old Bolgers car park was given permission granted, but has stalled for some reason.

You'd wonder bout fines and legislation for vacant properties being implemented, but certainly seems to be a lack of incentive or vision when it comes to refurbishing and finding new uses for old buildings and structures in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭irishgeo

PARlance wrote: »
    Great news until you realise there's a swimming pool without water, a climbing wall without a wall and a phase 2 without a phase 2.

The GAA will get their bit done, I wouldn't be too optimistic on the Council's side.

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2018/08/23/4160809-plans-for-new-mayo-gaa-training-centre-at-lough-lannagh/

Pretty sure I seen a picture of the swimming pool full with water.

• Advertisement

Thou wrote:
    You sure about that? If you look on council planning website there was a total demolition and replacement proposed for current podi building on the grounds it was unfit for extension and refurbishment. New design was refused for being unsympathetic to streetscape and old building still fit for purpose.

Thought that was the case but
    I could be wrong. Building work went on at the podi site presumed that was the extent of it.

It's the GAA cash that gives me hope. I know this has been a CB priority for a while. Infrastructure wise

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

irishgeo wrote: »
    Pretty sure I seen a picture of the swimming pool full with water.

There was a picture up on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

So when is that swimming pool opening? It's like they've stopped giving dates as they never make them and will just open it when it's ready.

I see the Swift's have bought the building next door to Bridge St. Hopefully will do something with it.

I see the Swift's have bought the building next door to Bridge St. Hopefully will do something with it.

It could work well if they extended the pub, but would be better if that building could be knocked, would open up that lane, could be a good outdoor seating area and create a bit of atmosphere, can't understand especially during the summer months, why more places don't try this.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

I believe Elverys plan changes for their shop near Argos in Castlebar and have it as a 'clearance sale'shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

ureds wrote: »
    I believe Elverys plan changes for their shop near Argos in Castlebar and have it as a 'clearance sale'shop.

It’s on daft for rent

Well they've plenty of money to invest in it. The Council sold it to them for €30,000. There's no zero missing there. The sale has made the front of The Connaught

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Well they've plenty of money to invest in it. The Council sold it to them for €30,000. There's no zero missing there. The sale has made the front of The Connaught

Yeah, on one hand I'm annoyed that its was sold so cheap but on the other hand I'm delighted that something will be done with the unit on the main street. They did a fine job with building the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Lukekul wrote: »

Yeah, on one hand I'm annoyed that its was sold so cheap but on the other hand I'm delighted that something will be done with the unit on the main street. They did a fine job with building the pub.

Is that unit a protected building?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

I don't think so, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

statto25 wrote: »

It is not protected, it was purchased to be demolished originally, there was a lot of difficulty with the owner before the Council at the time in agreeing to the sale.

statto25 wrote:

No. It probably wasn't worth much more than 30k imo. It's for knocking I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

I remember the idea was to knock it and create a larger alleyway/farmers market type area. I couldnt recall if the holdup was because it was protected or an issue with the owner

No. It probably wasn't worth much more than 30k imo. It's for knocking I'd say

Any reason why the council didn't knock it so? While it may not be the "bargain of the century" as The Connaught headlined... 30k is extremely cheap. An awful waste of rate payers money with the Council having paid €130,000 for it originally.

I am glad it is in good ownership now btw, whatever they have planned should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Any reason why the council didn't knock it so? While it may not be the "bargain of the century" as The Connaught headlined... 30k is extremely cheap. An awful waste of rate payers money with the Council having paid €130,000 for it originally.

I am glad it is in good ownership now btw, whatever they have planned should be good.

I'm just hoping it gets the nod for Door No.4 in the Prestigious Door Awards.

I'm just hoping it gets the nod for Door No.4 in the Prestigious Door Awards.

:) Some craic... hopefully a truck will get stuck on Castle Street to top off the week.

PARlance wrote:
    An awful waste of rate payers money with the Council having paid €130,000 for it originally.

This is where the screw up happened I reckon.

• Advertisement

Think the EBS are opening in the old Halifax/Bank of Scotland building on Main street, Castlebar, some activity in Downtown records unit also.

Advertisement