Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

I would assume the Allergan site is off the current road. I was told 300 jobs, nothing definite yet obviously but there is talk from a few different sources now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

UsBus wrote: »
    I would assume the Allergan site is off the current road. I was told 300 jobs, nothing definite yet obviously but there is talk from a few different sources now.

anything out there zoned for industry though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

irishgeo wrote: »
    anything out there zoned for industry though?

They'd be big enough put to pressure on and get land rezoned. Look at what Portwest did and getting that tourist area in the Quay rezoned so they could build their new headquarters even though they got the most amount of objections ever recorded in Westport.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Talk in Claremorris the last 2 weeks that Allergan are looking at a site near CBE.

Would be great for the town as it’s lacking a major employer with no multinational currently in Mayos 4th biggest town. Transport links are also excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

yew_tree wrote: »
    Talk in Claremorris the last 2 weeks that Allergan are looking at a site near CBE.

Would be great for the town as it’s lacking a major employer with no multinational currently in Mayos 4th biggest town. Transport links are also excellent.

You're username reminded me of another bit of news...

The man that holds the records for closing the most pubs in Castlebar is going to take over the pub thats being closed the most times in Castlebar...

A recipe for success if there ever was!

• Advertisement

You're username reminded me of another bit of news...

The man that holds the records for closing the most pubs in Castlebar is going to take over the pub thats being closed the most times in Castlebar...

Bosh ??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Bosh ??

The Yew Tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

the layout of the yew tree is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

I see the new chipper "KetchupMayo" has opened in Castlebar.

Best of luck to them, but I really wish we could get some variety in town

Chippers in Castlebar:
    Cafollas
    Danollas
    Roccos
    KetchupMayo
    Supermacs
    McDonalds
    Blue Thunder
    Castle Kebab
    Smoky Grill
    Abrakebabra
    Nicos

Then there's Pizza, Indian or chinese all of which we have multiples

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Lukekul wrote: »
    I see the new chipper "KetchupMayo" has opened in Castlebar.

Best of luck to them, but I really wish we could get some variety in town

Chippers in Castlebar:
    Cafollas
    Danollas
    Roccos
    KetchupMayo
    Supermacs
    McDonalds
    Blue Thunder
    Castle Kebab
    Smoky Grill
    Abrakebabra
    Nicos

Then there's Pizza, Indian or chinese all of which we have multiples

I believe Castlebar is saturated with chippers and fast food joins now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

6541 wrote: »

Does it matter if there is enough custom for them all?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Does it matter if there is enough custom for them all?

Maybe if one or two them were more like Boojum/ Tucos in Galway they’d stand out a bit more.
    Def room in the market for a Mexican type place

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Maybe if one or two them were more like Boojum/ Tucos in Galway they’d stand out a bit more.

Exactly what I mean! A mexican, a japanese something different!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

6541 wrote: »

Na, plenty of hairdressers too.

Still as someone has said, there must be customers to fill them...

I see Mchughs cafe have moved in the town too, to the main street but a smaller location

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Tapas would be nice. Still, castlebar isn't Galway, they may not think they would have the customers. Good to see businesses open, even if I will never use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Caroline's cafe open today on Market square

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I have made some enquiries from a likely reliable source.

Apparently Allergan development relates to their existing Botox product and some other products.

3 towns in contention,not likely to build in Westport with an existing plant.

So it's between Castlebar and Claremorris.A decision will be made next year.

Hopefully Castlebar can win the day!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

seligehgit wrote: »
    I have made some enquiries from a likely reliable source.

Apparently Allergan development relates to their existing Botox product and some other products.

3 towns in contention,not likely to build in Westport with an existing plant.

So it's between Castlebar and Claremorris.A decision will be made next year.

Hopefully Castlebar can win the day!:D

Would be a great boost for the county as a whole if Castlebar is picked. Somewhere close to the planned bypass along the N60, N84 or existing N5 would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

They'll be even better when the rail link to Galway reopens.

• Advertisement

Lissavane wrote: »
    They'll be even better when the rail link to Galway reopens.

Can’t see that happening anytime soon. An extension of the Tuam bypass dual carriageway up to claremorrris is more likely in the short to medium term.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

The new swimming pool in Castlebar won't be opening until Q1 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ClaptonBay

ureds wrote: »
    The new swimming pool in Castlebar won't be opening until Q1 2019.

Proper shambles...how many times have we been given opening dates this year. So the latest announcement was early Dec now it could be late March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

ClaptonBay wrote: »
    Proper shambles...how many times have we been given opening dates this year. So the latest announcement was early Dec now it could be late March.

I'd be very surprised if it opened in the first quarter of next year tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

I launched a new business last month. We are based in Westport. Let me know what you think: https://showergem.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭tomplate

corsav6 wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if it opened in the first quarter of next year tbh.

is the county council involved ,anything to do with them and it'll get bogged down

of that you can be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

tacofries wrote: »
    I launched a new business last month. We are based in Westport. Let me know what you think: https://showergem.com

Good idea, But €30 for minimal perspex. Its v expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Good idea, But €30 for minimal perspex. Its v expensive.

Thanks, glad you like it! The material is actually very expensive as it is a high quality grade of ABS that is tough, doesn't discolour and won't craze. The glue which it uses to bond to your wall is really pricey too as I wanted to make sure that it will never fall. When you take free delivery, vat and all the other costs into account there is not too much margin left unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Thanks, glad you like it! The material is actually very expensive as it is a high quality grade of ABS that is tough, doesn't discolour and won't craze. The glue which it uses to bond to your wall is really pricey too as I wanted to make sure that it will never fall. When you take free delivery, vat and all the other costs into account there is not too much margin left unfortunately!

Fair play and I wish you success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,203 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Best of luck, are you looking to go solo or will you try to get it in somewhere?

Fair play, seems like you've a very well thought out marketing plan and your assets are to a very high standard.
    Might want to set up google shopping btw!

Advertisement