Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

PARlance wrote: »
    Best of luck, are you looking to go solo or will you try to get it in somewhere?

Fair play, seems like you've a very well thought out marketing plan and your assets are to a very high standard.
    Might want to set up google shopping btw!

Thank you! I have some sort of marketing strategy anyway, will have to see how far it gets me,. Actually carried out google shopping for a few weeks but not much of a ROI. Now I'm using adwords at the moment to figure out what headlines people click on the most. Will restart the shopping campaign once I know what words make people click.

Potentially looking be stocked in retailers but depends on price. Hard to give everybody their margin :o

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Athlete's Foot on the Main Street in Castlebar has a closing down sale.
    Another empty building coming up for the county town.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

ureds wrote: »
    Athlete's Foot on the Main Street in Castlebar has a closing down sale.
    Another empty building coming up for the county town.

Bad sign to see a franchised shop close down so quickly on Main Street.

I’m sure it wasn’t a rash decision though.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

Good news: -double-urban-renewal-investment-for-mayo-county-town/
    Few people in the comments saying that the money would be better spent on social housing. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Main st. is still in bad shape. a lot of units vacant in Castlebar because it suits owners to run down the value. something needs to be done and quickly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I doubt it will happen, GameStop will be the next to go due to how the gaming industry is going, buildings such as the old hairdresser supplies beside the Bungalow has been vacant for years, the plan for the Upper Crust with Faddens/Bayleaf is at a total standstill after planning permission was cleared earlier this year.

The Connaught was stating earlier in the year that the Storehouse Cafe and Podi premises were unfit for purpose and actually posed a health and safety issue and should actually be knocked.

You have the two burned out premises that did have a rejuvenation idea in place but scuppered by Council parking rates, the old Access 3 building near constantly closed and the old Wynnes shop closed for nearly a year.

Mulroys has irregular opening times, 3 pound shops, a few cafes, old vacant Halifax building, thankfully some old family businesses and one new bar renovated bar.

Honestly most weekdays after 19.00 Main Street, Castle Street and The Mall are totally dead, the whole center of town is like a ghost town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Xenji wrote: »
    I doubt it will happen, GameStop will be the next to go due to how the gaming industry is going, buildings such as the old hairdresser supplies beside the Bungalow has been vacant for years, the plan for the Upper Crust with Faddens/Bayleaf is at a total standstill after planning permission was cleared earlier this year.

The Connaught was stating earlier in the year that the Storehouse Cafe and Podi premises were unfit for purpose and actually posed a health and safety issue and should actually be knocked.

You have the two burned out premises that did have a rejuvenation idea in place but scuppered by Council parking rates, the old Access 3 building near constantly closed and the old Wynnes shop closed for nearly a year.

Mulroys has irregular opening times, 3 pound shops, a few cafes, old vacant Halifax building, thankfully some old family businesses and one new bar renovated bar.

Honestly most weekdays after 19.00 Main Street, Castle Street and The Mall are totally dead, the whole center of town is like a ghost town.

I agree with all this, today in the Irish Indo a report states that small Irish towns are dying, shopping has changed - retail has moved on.
    I really think apartment living should be encouraged on / off main street, castle street etc. Can you imagine a couple of hundred apartments built in the town center. This would bring life back into the center of the town.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Agree fully. Slowly dying a death. No employment added to the town which will bring that extra spending money to the town. A lot of the jobs are low income which when rent etc is paid leaves no extra spend.
    Went out for a few hours after the Connacht final there Sunday and its brutal how bad it is.
    But then again when you see all the employment been created in the cities and on the East coast then this won't get any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,203 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

November wasn't a good month for Indian takeaways in Mayo: From https://www.google.ie/amp/www.thejournal.ie/food-safety-authority-ireland-closures-november-2018-4385750-Dec2018/%3famp=1

Dawat Indian Restaurant, Main Street, Castlebar, Mayo

The order was made after inspectors found safe food safety management procedures were not in place on the premises.

Cleaning procedures and records of cleaning were not available. Lack of effective cleaning was evident in the premises. A disused 10 litre paint bucket was being used for the storage of foodstuffs.

Original Curry House, Main Street, Kiltimagh, Mayo

The FSAI report said adequate procedures to control pests were not in place, while the walls of the premises were in a stained and dirty condition.

There was no hot water provided to the premises. Soap and paper towels were not provided at the wash hand basins.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Bogfairy

Link to Mayo County Council Planning Viewer:

http://137.191.225.173/mcc_dwviewer_external/frameset.aspx?la=1&id=18411

further information lodged in respect to the proposed cafe at lannagh road

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Bogfairy wrote: »

Where is that site taking a person to?
    I'd be wary of clicking on URLs like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Bogfairy wrote: »
    Link to Mayo County Council Planning Viewer:

So when you enter the Next / Aldi complex, there'll be a road to the left of the underground carpark with the cafe in there, with a drive through service included?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

yop wrote: »
    Where is that site taking a person to?
    I'd be wary of clicking on URLs like that.

It's how the Mayo planning website works. Deep down I bet your not surprised at how poor a system it is. I have to use it regularly.

Dudda wrote: »
    It's how the Mayo planning website works. Deep down I bet your not surprised at how poor a system it is. I have to use it regularly.

C*rist on a bike! :eek:
    Shouldn't be surprised I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

I see a planning proposal for a development on mountain view road. Will be nearly 15m at its highest point and at that site elevation will probably be one of the highest buildings in castlebar at 54m.

I see a planning proposal for a development on mountain view road. Will be nearly 15m at its highest point and at that site elevation will probably be one of the highest buildings in castlebar at 54m.

It's a large bulky building. Two objections in already. I'd like to see the planners request it to be reduced in size. I think it's a bit oversized for the site. I don't even know how they'd construct that without having to take over half the road for deliveries, cement trucks, etc. That junction could be a disaster during construction if they don't have a good traffic and construction management plan.

It's a large bulky building. Two objections in already. I'd like to see the planners request it to be reduced in size. I think it's a bit oversized for the site. I don't even know how they'd construct that without having to take over half the road for deliveries, cement trucks, etc. That junction could be a disaster during construction if they don't have a good traffic and construction management plan.

At the same time I hope the council don’t scupper it, like they have every development plan over the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

The more development in Castlebar the better.

6541 wrote: »
    The more development in Castlebar the better.

I agree to an extent. You can have to many charity shops for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Visited Coise Tine in the N5 business Park yesterday. Nice food and it was busy. Lots of people working around there. Good luck to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I agree to an extent. You can have to many charity shops for example.

Far too many charity shops,low cost shops and pharmacies.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Far too many charity shops,low cost shops and pharmacies.

Restaurants, Cafes and Fast Food premises constantly changing names as well, no new bar premises opened in over 20 years, open to correction but all remodeling or name change? ( Hogs Heaven maybe )

• Registered Users Posts: 21,203 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Restaurants, Cafes and Fast Food premises constantly changing names as well, no new bar premises opened in over 20 years, open to correction but all remodeling or name change? ( Hogs Heaven maybe )

New as in completely new location? They're a rarity countrywide and a sign of much changed drinking habits.

A substantially new offering (even though it replaced old pub) would be Bridge St.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

A new ecigarette shop opening where downtown records were. That's 3 within a stone's throw from each other.
    So that's hairdressers, charity shops, restaurants and now ecigarette shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

corsav6 wrote: »
    A new ecigarette shop opening where downtown records were. That's 3 within a stone's throw from each other.
    So that's hairdressers, charity shops, restaurants and now ecigarette shops.

What other shops do you expect to open though? Retail is fecked, people buy online. Low cost or services shops are pretty much all you can expect unless you have decent density to support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

the lack of christmas lights on main st looks bad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Enda Kenny’s comments a few years ago comes to mind reading some of this weeks comments on here....

irishgeo wrote: »

i disagree. The trees looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

irishgeo wrote: »

Ya definitely they should have run the lights they have up around bluethunder area all over the town

• Advertisement

naughto wrote: »
    Ya definitely they should have run the lights they have up around bluethunder area all over the town

I think those lights were paid for by the businesses on Spencer street.

Advertisement