Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

seligehgit wrote: »
    I'd thought that Aldi were going in there?

A Covey source.:)
    Nobody would have signed a lease before the place even has planning permission particularly on a site which had a high chance of not getting permission. It's only now the big supermarket chains will entertain or talk to them about rents and contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Dudda wrote: »
    Nobody would have signed a lease before the place even has planning permission particularly on a site which had a high chance of not getting permission. It's only now the big supermarket chains will entertain or talk to them about rents and contracts.

TBH I think it's an awful location for a purported supermarket with the calamitous traffic issues in Westport.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭sillysu

I had heard Aldi too! Usually where there's a Lidl in a town, there's an Aldi close by!!! Doubt it would be Dunnes, they were in Westport before, but had to close, not sure why, it was before I moved here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

sillysu wrote: »
    I had heard Aldi too! Usually where there's a Lidl in a town, there's an Aldi close by!!! Doubt it would be Dunnes, they were in Westport before, but had to close, not sure why, it was before I moved here.

The Dunnes Stores shop was more like a convenience store.Very basic in it's content.

It's location was not ideal and parking was quite limited.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

TBH I think it's an awful location for a purported supermarket with the calamitous traffic issues in Westport.

Yeah, that came up in the planning application, but the fairly reasonable point was made that the road it's on won't be a national primary route anymore in a couple of years. They're also discussing the possibility of putting a traffic light on the exit, linked to the lights at the Castlecourt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

The Dunnes Stores shop was more like a convenience store.Very basic in it's content.

It's location was not ideal and parking was quite limited.

Also only down the road from this new location so I would be surprised to see Dunnes go back to that area again!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

Total value of property sales in Castlebar rose 6.54% in 2018 compared to the previous year.

2017 - €29,913,000
    2018 - €31,869,000

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

muddle84 wrote: »
    Also only down the road from this new location so I would be surprised to see Dunnes go back to that area again!

Either would be a great asset to Westport. Sadly I now have no viable car so cannot get to anywhere. Love Westport for shopping and the Meals on Wheels lunch club and Charity Shop...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Rumours abound that there is a fairly large hostel going in where the Railway Inn is in Westport (across from the entrance into Tesco/Mocha Beans/Boots.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Rumours abound that there is a fairly large hostel going in where the Railway Inn is in Westport (across from the entrance into Tesco/Mocha Beans/Boots.

http://www.mayonews.ie/news/33119-westport-hostel-gets-go-ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Knock2

It was with utter shock I read about the Castlebar Westport join proposal to be marketed together and no plans for north mayo Ballina.I have no problem with the council plans to link both towns but is it not the job of the council to develope all the major towns in the county not just 2 so what is the plan for Ballina north mayo?Is this the final nail in the coffin?it was bad when national government forgot north mayo now it looks like local government has also?
    Can somebody please answer why this is happening?what can change it?or maybe do we just accept it and accept that the area will decline further and those that can move out should do so now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Knock2 wrote: »
    It was with utter shock I read about the Castlebar Westport join proposal to be marketed together and no plans for north mayo Ballina.I have no problem with the council plans to link both towns but is it not the job of the council to develope all the major towns in the county not just 2 so what is the plan for Ballina north mayo?Is this the final nail in the coffin?it was bad when national government forgot north mayo now it looks like local government has also?
    Can somebody please answer why this is happening?what can change it?or maybe do we just accept it and accept that the area will decline further and those that can move out should do so now?

That’s because Ballina, like Castlebar, is big enough on it’s own to be declared a Key Regional Town while Westport is considered ‘other rural area’.

See page 140 of this very nice glossy magazine some government agency obviously put a lot of time and effort into
    https://www.nwra.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Final_NWRA_RSES_18.11.19-2.pdf

Can’t wait for the final version of this to come out to see if it can gather as much dust on a shelf as this draft has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Castlebar and Westport are a natural fit due to Geography and the different focuses of each town. There should be a similar but sperate intiative for Ballina and surrounding towns

Agree with that completely,but what I’m noticing is a complete lack of intrest or vision for north mayo from the local council,am i correct in saying this?again i ask the question why is this?
    The reason I’m so interested in finding out why this is happening and has happened for the last 40+ years is unless you find out why you canot fix the problem and it will continue?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Agree with that completely,but what I’m noticing is a complete lack of intrest or vision for north mayo from the local council,am i correct in saying this?again i ask the question why is this?
    The reason I’m so interested in finding out why this is happening and has happened for the last 40+ years is unless you find out why you canot fix the problem and it will continue?

the road network, the n26 is really holding you back.

So why can this not be sorted out?

You are expecting simple answers to complicated questions.

funding,politics, demographics, government policy, lobbying economics......

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

I'd be from the north/east of the county and I think it's the river Moy that's holding back the road development. If the region is going to grow/develop we need several new bridges built. Unfortunately there are many environmental aspects that have to be considered before doing this as the Moy is very fertile with fish and other wildlife.

It took over 2 years to get planning permission for a new bridge at Cloongullane and apparently it was very close to being refused on evironmental grounds. Ballina and Foxford both need a new bridge if they are going to expand but we could be years waiting for them unfortunately.

Castlebar/Westport don't have the same problems which is why the new N5 is going ahead.

I don’t think that’s the main reason why north mayo has been overlooked I think it’s down to government policy/ local council priority over the last 40 years and the lack of a string voice and both fg and ff are at fault,but I canot for the life of me understand how it’s happening again and the local fg minester is not tackled on same and that the local council is not tackled on same??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,201 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2019/01/15/4167722-us-biotech-firm-preparing/

We have a name for the next company not to move to Castlebar :)

On the phone, can't paste details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭FaganJr

PARlance wrote:
    We have a name for the next company not to move to Castlebar

Alleged, not confirmed at all, some no name councillor blabbed.......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,201 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

FaganJr wrote: »
    Alleged, not confirmed at all, some no name councillor blabbed.......

Ah Cyril Burke isn't some no name councillor.

He has been making the news on other items as recently as today. There was a protest outside a Mayo Co Co meeting yesterday and his major announcement just coincidences with it nicely...

He is certainly working The Connaught well.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/varadkar-concerned-about-findings-against-fine-gael-councillor-37711459.html

TAOISEACH Leo Varadkar has described himself as “concerned” about findings made against a Fine Gael councillor by the State’s ethic watchdog.

Mayo councillor Cyril Burke faces the prospect of possibly being dropped from the party’s local election ticket after he was found to have breached Standard in Public Office Commission (Sipo) rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I would use the term protest very loosely, it was one woman with a sign and 4 others standing around having a chat.

Xenji wrote:
    I would use the term protest very loosely, it was one woman with a sign and 4 others standing around having a chat.

That's true. It's a shame it wasn't promoted better. It deserves to be protested.
    Anyone know anything about that company? The double with Allergan is still on! (Optimism is my new years resolution)

When are the council going to review the sipo decision.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Deja Vu..... How many jobs have we seen announced and never happened.... could be 500-600 jobs?

yop wrote: »
    Deja Vu..... How many jobs have we seen announced and never happened.... could be 500-600 jobs?

so who owes the volex site now?

The vertical farming crowd or the council?

irishgeo wrote: »
    so who owes the volex site now?

The vertical farming crowd or the council?

Council. It was been rented if they moved in. Did a few interviews, made a load of promises and then disappeared.

Council. It was been rented if they moved in. Did a few interviews, made a load of promises and then disappeared.

the IDA might be a bit more savvy and might see a bunch of shysters quicker than the council.

• Advertisement

did the council not sell it for 950,000 or something similar?

Advertisement