Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Xenji wrote: »
    I do not really see the announcement fully benefiting Castlebar if it does come to fruition, the jobs are described as high end and they hope this will provide an increase of 10-20 million to the local economy according to Wilson Bird, but of course not stating over how many years.

Firstly I cannot see how that figure could be true if it will take 5 years to get to the 150 staff and secondly because these jobs are meant to be high end I would assume they would have a shortcoming of locals but instead more commuters or people relocating, if relocating housing or renting would be an issue, also as has been discussed in the last page or two Castlebar would not be the most desirable destination.

very hard to gauge what the jobs will be. Are the manufacturing, up against Baxter and Allergen or are the pharma roles?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

yop wrote: »
    very hard to gauge what the jobs will be. Are the manufacturing, up against Baxter and Allergen or are the pharma roles?

Viewing that link it appears more likely Allergan and Baxter might be availing of their products.

Chris Meissner mentioned on six one news that the initial 150 jobs was a conservative estimate of eventual employment potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

yop wrote: »
    I know I should be jumping with joy but we remember this??
    The same people still around making the same announcements.
    Third time lucky isn't it?

Anyway, lets hope, but neither FF or FG have delivered any significant announcements into Castlebar

150 jobs Annouced

150 Jobs Closed

And this:
    250 jobs announced/

250 jobs closed

Was it not the company that has made the announcement rather than politicians jumping the gun?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,198 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Xenji wrote: »
    I do not really see the announcement fully benefiting Castlebar if it does come to fruition, the jobs are described as high end and they hope this will provide an increase of 10-20 million to the local economy according to Wilson Bird, but of course not stating over how many years.

Firstly I cannot see how that figure could be true if it will take 5 years to get to the 150 staff and secondly because these jobs are meant to be high end I would assume they would have a shortcoming of locals but instead more commuters or people relocating, if relocating housing or renting would be an issue, also as has been discussed in the last page or two Castlebar would not be the most desirable destination.

I doubt they spent too much time with that estimate, and it's a fairly wide one. But I don't think it's outlandish at all. Even 150 workers taking home €25,000 a year in Year 5 could be said to be a €3.75m boost.... these things are very loose. But if they plan on major construction on top of jobs, that's a big short term boost as well.

The CEO spoke well about their selection process. It was between Ireland and the Netherlands and then between a few locations in Ireland. If it was a thorough process, which it seems, they would have looked at workforce availability as a key part of that. I doubt the majority of jobs will be highly skilled. They're not going to invest and then hope they can get staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

A clean room is the main starting point for the manufacture it see,s. reading the site leader role, machinery wouldnt be going in for at least 6 months, seems to be engineers etc. Probably going to be highly automated. Might suit some people who are locals but travelling long distances to galway. Some people are never happy. The first significant jobs announcements and the begrudgers are out already saying it's not going to help much. maybe they should go off to galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

I'm probably way off with the logistics but it would be great if GMIT could put together some sort of course for companies like that so that locals could get some jobs there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

irishgeo wrote: »
    A clean room is the main starting point for the manufacture it see,s. reading the site leader role, machinery wouldnt be going in for at least 6 months, seems to be engineers etc. Probably going to be highly automated. Might suit some people who are locals but travelling long distances to galway. Some people are never happy. The first significant jobs announcements and the begrudgers are out already saying it's not going to help much. maybe they should go off to galway.

It's fantastic news.

I can't imagine a CEO flying over from the US of A to make such an announcement reported on the national news and risk making an embarrassing u turn further down the road with lots of egg on his face.Seems totally legitimate.

As Parlance mentioned there may be a lot of automation and lower skilled jobs ideal for locals doing horrid commutes on a daily basis to the likes of Galway.

If it comes to fruition it will a significant boost to the local economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Yep. But we should not underestimate the skills of the local workforce either. There are plenty of skilled people here and also plenty who are capable of quickly upskilling.

seligehgit wrote:
    As Parlance mentioned there may be a lot of automation and lower skilled jobs ideal for locals doing horrid commutes on a daily basis to the likes of Galway.

seligehgit wrote: »

It's fantastic news.

I can't imagine a CEO flying over from the US of A to make such an announcement reported on the national news and risk making an embarrassing u turn further down the road with lots of egg on his face.Seems totally legitimate.

If it comes to fruition it will a significant boost to the local economy.
    It might even kick start the night life.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Yep. But we should not underestimate the skills of the local workforce either. There are plenty of skilled people here and also plenty who are capable of quickly upskilling.

Totally and a massive drain to Galway, Sligo, athlone on a daily basis.
    Let's see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

No one will miss Caseys in Castlebar with their new canopy lighting!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

What’s going in beside the harlaquinn hotel seen work going on there the last day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

naughto wrote: »
    What’s going in beside the harlaquinn hotel seen work going on there the last day

Scouts facility. https://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2018/07/26/4159404-new-castlebar-scouts-hq-building-enters-tender-process/

I'm torn between two views on this one. It's good to have a dedicated community building for them but I think it's one of the ugliest shed like buildings we could add to our town centre. Looks like something you'd find in an industrial estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

Dudda wrote: »
    Scouts facility. https://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2018/07/26/4159404-new-castlebar-scouts-hq-building-enters-tender-process/

I'm torn between two views on this one. It's good to have a dedicated community building for them but I think it's one of the ugliest shed like buildings we could add to our town centre. Looks like something you'd find in an industrial estate.

Yeah it’s not the right location at all

naughto wrote: »
    New Mens Shed maybe?

ureds wrote: »
    No one will miss Caseys in Castlebar with their new canopy lighting!!!!!
    Oops they've now put a new Circle K sign up!

Work going on at the old Apache pizza unit in Castlebar

Work going on at the old Apache pizza unit in Castlebar
    Ill guess.

Ecig
    Charity
    Hairdresser

Ill guess.

Ecig
    Charity
    Hairdresser

Perhaps a delightful combination of the 3

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Lukekul wrote: »
    Perhaps a delightful combination of the 3

New hairdresser working in aid of those giving up the fags?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Ill guess.

Ecig
    Charity
    Hairdresser

Don't be so cynical. It could be a pound shop ;)

Anyone actually know what it is.....? :|

Old Homemaker arcade is being dismantled

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Old Homemaker arcade is being dismantled

Any plans for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,198 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

jenno86 wrote: »
    Any plans for it?

2nd Hand E Cig Superstore, all proceeds go to charity.

:)

PARlance wrote:
    2nd Hand E Cig Superstore, all proceeds go to charity.

Nails done while u wait

jenno86 wrote:
    Any plans for it?

No idea. Historically there was supposed to be a shopping centre going in there. But I can't see that happening

Always thought it would make a great spot for a nightclub, I suppose if the e cig superstore has enough garish LED displays it might feel like one...

Are we bored of the e cig jokes yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Are we bored of the e cig jokes yet?

I'm trying to give them up

Advertisement