Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭FaganJr

muddle84 wrote:
    Anyone know what's going on with Hillside service station in Claremorris! Seems to be closed with the last two days.

Family funeral, open again 7am tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delynet

muddle84 wrote: »
    Looks like they are going reopening the Esso on the N17 near the golf course too in Claremorris

Same owner that has the filling station and Supermacs in Ballindine. There is a proposed bypass for Ballindine which comes back onto N17 near the golf course. The owner is making sure he will still have a filling station on the N17 if that bypass goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

delynet wrote: »
    Same owner that has the filling station and Supermacs in Ballindine. There is a proposed bypass for Ballindine which comes back onto N17 near the golf course. The owner is making sure he will still have a filling station on the N17 if that bypass goes ahead.

It doesn't look like they are building anything new though because they are doing all the groundwork that would only be done after the building work. Looks more like freshening up whats there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

The news you've all been waiting for.:D

The Connaught Telegraph facebook page reports that the keys to the new swimming complex were handed over to Mayo County Council.

The cathaoirleach of the council Blackie Gavin stated post the key handover the facility would be open to the public within the next 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

seligehgit wrote: »
    The news you've all been waiting for.:D

The Connaught Telegraph facebook page reports that the keys to the new swimming complex were handed over to Mayo County Council.

The cathaoirleach of the council Blackie Gavin stated post the key handover the facility would be open to the public within the next 3 weeks.

They will probably lose the keys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

Sam Adams/The Yew Tree has been painted outside. Anyone hear what's happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Skippette wrote: »
    Sam Adams/The Yew Tree has been painted outside. Anyone hear what's happening?

The inside thats the problem. Badly designed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Is there something going in to the music shop beside ebs though I seen something last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

The Chinese restaurant Golden Sea in Castlebar has had a nice makeover on the inside gone is the carpet, and old wallpaper instead it has been replaced with a tiled floor, and the walls have been repainted with white and light grey paint and they've added new lights that really brighten the place up the exterior looks like it's going to be changed as well.

Seems like a great move they never seem to have many customers sitting down to eat in the restaurant; instead, they appeared to be relying on takeaways.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

Think it's the Golden Sea that's being done up not the New Dragon. Passed by there this evening and spotted the new tiles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Anyone in for the tour of the pool on Saturday morning?

Is there a Sauna / Jacuzzi / Steam Room?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭CtrlAltDelete

Turkish baths too... leave yer inhibitions at the door :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Is there a Sauna / Jacuzzi / Steam Room?

Sauna and steam room for sure. Not sure about jacuzzi

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Swamp is closing down on the 5th of May.
    Cited as the reasons for the trading difficulties were 'the competitive nature of the market in retail combined with the geographical location of Castlebar and lack of footfall in the area and around the store'.

The reasons given are worrying

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The reasons given are worrying

V strange as that area would seem to have a lot of footfall!

yop wrote:
    V strange as that area would seem to have a lot of footfall!

That's what I was thinking. Plenty businesses thriving around there

• Registered Users Posts: 21,198 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

That's what I was thinking. Plenty businesses thriving around there

I think the competitive nature of retail is probably the main one. Online shopping is growing and growing and really starting to impact.

Re Footfall, it was a decent location but from looking at their store locators. Castlebar is their smallest location so it could be all relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

PARlance wrote: »
    I think the competitive nature of retail is probably the main one. Online shopping is growing and growing and really starting to impact.

Re Footfall, it was a decent location but from looking at their store locators. Castlebar is their smallest location so it could be all relative.

My missus commented that their prices were quite expensive and the equivalent could be found online cheaper and same quality of clothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

statto25 wrote: »
    My missus commented that their prices were quite expensive and the equivalent could be found online cheaper and same quality of clothing

The service wouldn’t be the best either imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,198 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Wonder why those reasons didn't make the press release :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Is there a website for the new swimming pool?

Opening hours etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

seligehgit wrote: »
    Is there a website for the new swimming pool?

Opening hours etc.
    Prices and opening hours

https://www.mayo.ie/news/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/128438_Movement_PriceList_A4_V5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

There's a new gym after opening here in Swinford, The Health Hub. Official opening yesterday but will be Monday when sessions begin.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Health-Hub-1079718222230487/

56759169_1158656021003373_8840780683749097472_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=635aa06e5589a6353fc21e8329f2dc0e&oe=5D4B44CE

56685809_1158419571027018_7044382063549480960_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=a8455dc439754d3ad3e42f93dd2e7335&oe=5D058153

I was reading on the Connaught about the old Arcade in Castlebar being demolished. They said the work began aftercare land swap was agreed by Mayo Co. Co. With Jackita Ltd (Staunton company)

Anyone know what this entails? What land was swapped? Is it going to be a new carpark or what?

It was voted on by the Council. So details should be available somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Peackocks down by Dunnes is closing as well. At this stage i am getting really worried for the town. The streets are destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

At least we'll have plenty of parking, just nowhere to go...

6541 wrote:
    Peackocks down by Dunnes is closing as well. At this stage i am getting really worried for the town. The streets are destroyed.

This issue needs to be raised with every canvasser who arrives at our doors. Not just Castlebar.
    Although I wouldn't hold my breath than any of them will come up with an innovative plan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

This issue needs to be raised with every canvasser who arrives at our doors. Not just Castlebar.
    Although I wouldn't hold my breath than any of them will come up with an innovative plan

They will promise the moon and stars to get in then sit back on it for another 4 yrs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Even if rents and rates were lowered you still need the people going into the shops, it's a sign of the times that traditional retail is suffering and not just in Ireland as seen with what has happened to the British high Street, more and more people are moving to online shopping exclusively, I would say the Parcel Motel is currently doing the best business in town.

Advertisement