Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

The High Street has to change its offering, and turn to a more mix use spot.

Bringing in leisure/entertainment (Cinema, Gym, Bowling) with a mix or food and retail will be the way to bring people back to the city.

It would also help to try and keep more workers inside the town, instead of working on the outskirts in Business estates to increase footfall on a daily basis

This is not just a Castlebar problem, but an issue affecting major cities and towns worldwide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Bringing in leisure/entertainment (Cinema, Gym, Bowling) with a mix or food and retail will be the way to bring people back to the city.

True. Plus there has to be some incentive to convert all those first and second floor empty spaces in the town cente to accomadation. Bring some vibrancy and life to the CBD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

I agree shops closing are just a sign of the times we are living in especially with easy access to online shopping from the likes of Amazon and depending on the item AliExpress. The only way I see traditional bricks and mortar stores being able to compete is by shedding staff and automating as much as possible the Tech to do this should be available in 5 to 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Many young people like myself would like to be able to rent or buy apartments in the middle of town but they're just not there. Like Westernyelp says, people living in the town would increase the footfall, especially at night. Castlebar has really spread outwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

mayo.mick wrote: »
    There's a new gym after opening here in Swinford, The Health Hub. Official opening yesterday but will be Monday when sessions begin.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Health-Hub-1079718222230487/

56759169_1158656021003373_8840780683749097472_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=635aa06e5589a6353fc21e8329f2dc0e&oe=5D4B44CE

Is it me or does EVERY BODY look wrong in the signage? I'd have thought it should've been spelt all one word EVERYBODY ?

Unless they mean every and all bodies, regardless of fitness level, shape or size welcome, which is then a clever play on words!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

ongarboy wrote: »
    Is it me or does EVERY BODY look wrong in the signage? I'd have thought it should've been spelt all one word EVERYBODY ?

Unless they mean every and all bodies, regardless of fitness level, shape or size welcome, which is then a clever play on words!

I think you answered your own question.... and I'm glad you got there in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Bucko's is reopening tomorrow, I do not think there has been any changes except a bit of a paint job.

Xenji wrote:
    Bucko's is reopening tomorrow, I do not think there has been any changes except a bit of a paint job.

If the new manager doesn't spend all his time at the front door smoking and a scowling it will be an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

If the new manager doesn't spend all his time at the front door smoking and a scowling it will be an improvement.

That pub has the worst layout I have ever been in

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

That pub has the worst layout I have ever been in

The yew tree is worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

irishgeo wrote: »
    The yew tree is worse.

Same pub, but it's gone back to it's old name.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Xenji wrote: »
    Same pub, but it's gone back to it's old name.

opps, was it buckos. was it not something before the yew tree.

irishgeo wrote: »
    opps, was it buckos. was it not something before the yew tree.

It was called Sam Adams.

Also today I saw The Store of Happiness has opened on linenhall Street.

RHJ wrote:
    Also today I saw The Store of Happiness has opened on linenhall Street.

Also Global style. And Barney Kiernan is back

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Did the happiness one just move from the old JVC building on the newport road?

Mickeroo wrote:
    Did the happiness one just move from the old JVC building on the newport road?

Yep. In a better spot now. Looks like a nice shop. Haven't been in yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

Doors were open and some work was going on inside bosh today

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

Doors were open and some work was going on inside bosh today

They have officially opened. Drove by earlier and you could see people inside enjoying a few beverages 😉

A new handbag shop opened a few doors down. I was in there yesterday, nice to see new shops opening but their stock is similar to what you would find on Market Square on the stalls, if ya get what I mean....

Skippette wrote: »
    They have officially opened. Drove by earlier and you could see people inside enjoying a few beverages 😉

A new handbag shop opened a few doors down. I was in there yesterday, nice to see new shops opening but their stock is similar to what you would find on Market Square on the stalls, if ya get what I mean....

I’m talking about bosh, not buckos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 UpintheAir1

good ol mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Had my hopes up for a second there :o . Hopefully something is happening and its not just getting cleared or something

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Had a quiet one in Buckos last night, out of curiosity. Almost nothing has changed inside, but it’s good to see the doors open again at least. Not all the taps are on but that’s to be expected of a new/reopened pub. Best of luck to them anyway.

Any word if they’ll be doing food? No mention of it anywhere, the town could use another gastropub, only two left AFAIK.

martyos121 wrote:
    Any word if they’ll be doing food? No mention of it anywhere, the town could use another gastropub, only two left AFAIK.

Don't think they intend to do food.
    Hard keep going without it these days though.

Main Street development is going ahead. Looks great. Glad it finally got approved.

Anyone have the link to the planning application?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

Which one?

• Advertisement

Anyone know what the plans are for the old arcade?

Advertisement