Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭FaganJr

So is it definitely Costa and not KFC?
    Yes
    KFC will be down around the back of Monaghans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

Was talking to one of the staff in Harvey Moans today, he said there is some hold up with KFC planning. But Costa will be finished and opened before Christmas apparently!!!

In other news, I had heard that Wills brothers had been awarded the contract for the castlebar bypass and we're due to start muckshifting before Christmas but funding has now been pulled...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

I don't think either of those pieces of info are true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

Maybe funding pulled is the wrong phrase. But a friend of mine had got work on it for his machines and the start date has definitely been delayed. Second hand information I admit so i can't say its a fact but he is usually reliable enough with that stuff.

For Costa, it is possible for it to be built that quick if its a prefab building.

muddle84 wrote:
    For Costa, it is possible for it to be built that quick if its a prefab building.

Yep. agree. The KFC building had planning approved at the same time though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Healy's fully demolished now. will be interesting to see the work progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Had breakfast at the weekend in Susie's Bistro in Charlestown.

Think it's opened very recently. Great menu, and reasonably priced too. Kids menu had just pancakes on it, could use some more options, but other than that, seemed like a great spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭elderberry

RMDrive wrote: »
    Healy's fully demolished now. will be interesting to see the work progress.

Is that the place in Pontoon? What's the story with the hotel nearby, wasn't it sold by receivers a few years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Thou

elderberry wrote: »
    Is that the place in Pontoon? What's the story with the hotel nearby, wasn't it sold by receivers a few years ago?

Thought Bord Pleanála rejected plans to knock it, shame it has been done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Thou wrote: »
    Thought Bord Pleanála rejected plans to knock it, shame it has been done now.

No they approved it. Someone objected to it been knocked to ABP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

muddle84 wrote: »
    Was talking to one of the staff in Harvey Moans today, he said there is some hold up with KFC planning. But Costa will be finished and opened before Christmas apparently!!!

In other news, I had heard that Wills brothers had been awarded the contract for the castlebar bypass and we're due to start muckshifting before Christmas but funding has now been pulled...

The government want wills brothers to put there own money in to it and then get it back off the government.
    Not surprising there not going for it.
    Sure wasn’t King Leo in town not so many weeks ago and not a mention of the sod turning on it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

naughto wrote: »
    The government want wills brothers to put there own money in to it and then get it back off the government.
    Not surprising there not going for it.
    Sure wasn’t King Leo in town not so many weeks ago and not a mention of the sod turning on it.

There was a sod turning on the Cbar, Westport road though it wasn't Leo involved.
    From talking to 2 lads involved they haven't heard any change on it.
    There is some work on a section started on the Westport side, not sure if its related but its within the boundary fence.

Be a disaster if its not done. The N5 has become busier year on year. As someone who has to cross it to get to Castlebar I've been sitting 3-5 mins in the evening to get a gap to get on the road.

yop wrote:
    Be a disaster if its not done. The N5 has become busier year on year. As someone who has to cross it to get to Castlebar I've been sitting 3-5 mins in the evening to get a gap to get on the road.

Signed off by cabinet today. €241m

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Signed off by cabinet today. €241m

What has?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mod Note: Guys can we take this out to a new thread if you want to discuss the new road and infrastructural states please. Seems to be strong discussion here so might be better to pull it out to a new thread pls otherwise we may lost sight of posts on new businesses and business developments.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Subway in Castlebar seems to have closed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

Lukekul wrote: »
    Subway in Castlebar seems to have closed up.

For good?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

That's what I've heard, but I'd be very surprised as it always seemed busy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Seen subway closed this morn alright, had 3 people tell me it's closed down for good.
    Also heard that Argos and Boots will be closing after Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

corsav6 wrote: »
    Seen subway closed this morn alright, had 3 people tell me it's closed down for good.
    Also heard that Argos and Boots will be closing after Xmas.

Jazus thats seriously bad news if true

• Advertisement

Jazus thats seriously bad news if true

The Argos story started about 2 years ago but I've heard it from a few people in the last week. The boots story came from a friend, his wife is working there and apparently there's talks high up about cost cutting and Castlebar was mentioned.
    Also GameStop are closing some stores so I'd be surprised if they weren't the next Main Street casualty.

corsav6 wrote: »
    The Argos story started about 2 years ago but I've heard it from a few people in the last week. The boots story came from a friend, his wife is working there and apparently there's talks high up about cost cutting and Castlebar was mentioned.
    Also GameStop are closing some stores so I'd be surprised if they weren't the next Main Street casualty.

be a shame, its the only pharmacy open late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I'd be shocked if the Boots in Castlebar closed. They did announced a while back that they were closing 200 stores over the next two years but later confirmed none of the stores in Ireland would be effected.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/republic-not-on-bootss-shop-closure-list-933869.html

It's the other smaller pharmacy's that are more likely to close like Bourke's Pharmacy on main street who recently announced they were closing and joining with Staunton's Pharmacy. I never checked or noticed if this happened.
    https://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2019/09/22/4179988-two-mayo-pharmacies-are-set-to-merge/

No idea of Argos. I'd say online shopping (of which I'm guilt) is hurting it.

Dudda wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if the Boots in Castlebar closed. They did announced a while back that they were closing 200 stores over the next two years but later confirmed none of the stores in Ireland would be effected.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/republic-not-on-bootss-shop-closure-list-933869.html

It's the other smaller pharmacy's that are more likely to close like Bourke's Pharmacy on main street who recently announced they were closing and joining with Staunton's Pharmacy. I never checked or noticed if this happened.
    https://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2019/09/22/4179988-two-mayo-pharmacies-are-set-to-merge/

No idea of Argos. I'd say online shopping (of which I'm guilt) is hurting it.

I seen movement with Staunton's alright, wasn't aware the two were going to merge.
    I use Argos a lot, partly due to bargain alerts and price scanner website, I find them so handy for a lot of stuff. But I've often went in at 11am on a Thursday only to be collection number 10 or something, which shows only 9 customers before me.
    I was shocked about boots myself and tbh I won't believe it until I see something official. It's so easy to get the wrong info especially if it's been overheard.

Hairdressers across the road from Subway seems to be closed a lot lately, only open 3 or 4 days per week. The Turkish barber is doing a roaring trade, he's flat out 7 days a week.

Costa flying along. Steel girders erected yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

irishgeo wrote: »
    Costa flying along. Steel girders erected yesterday.

Will it be a drive thru?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Shocked to hear the rumour of Boots possibly closing. The Castlebar branch is one of the better shops IMO, on a par with the Shop St Galway one. The Ballina branch is brutal, if theyre going to do away with any of them would they not close the smaller ones imstead?

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    Shocked to hear the rumour of Boots possibly closing. The Castlebar branch is one of the better shops IMO, on a par with the Shop St Galway one. The Ballina branch is brutal, if theyre going to do away with any of them would they not close the smaller ones imstead?

Was in Galway Saturday and actually prefer Castlebar, far better layout and a more comfortable shopping experience. I don't go there very often because I find what I need in other pharmacies and often cheaper.
    I think if Argos were to close it would be worse for the town. It's the only shop in mayo where you can get almost anything and also at a good price.

Pineapple1 wrote:

Haven't heard any credible evidence of this being true. Apart from one poster saying they heard it somewhere

• Advertisement

Haven't heard any credible evidence of this being true. Apart from one poster saying they heard it somewhere

That was me, and I heard it from an employee. I also said it was basically through the grapevine so may have been misunderstood.

Advertisement