Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

corsav6 wrote:
    That was me, and I heard it from an employee. I also said it was basically through the grapevine so may have been misunderstood.

Who knows these days. I'd be more inclined to believe the Argos one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Who knows these days. I'd be more inclined to believe the Argos one

That's exactly it, Castlebar has gone so bad it's hard to know what to believe.
    Argos have started to decrease the size of their stock room by removing higher shelves. This is fact but sounds more like reducing the amount of stock they carry and not a sign that their closing. The closing romour started when homebase closed and since their owned by the same company its easy to see where that came from.
    I work in a shop on main street and if I were to believe every story a customer tells me then there wouldn't be a shop open in town.
    One thing I can say is footfall on main street has halved compared to last year with more and more people using the car park to go between Penneys and Tesco side of town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Haven't heard any credible evidence of this being true. Apart from one poster saying they heard it somewhere

Neither have I. Was just saying I was shocked to hear a rumour alone of it. But sure as you say who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Global Style on Linenhall street in Castlebar have a closing down sale.
    Another business gone.

New nail bar and Italian restaurant on main Street Castlebar. Open soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

New nail bar and Italian restaurant on main Street Castlebar. Open soon

In which premise is the Italian opening, nothing seems to scream new restaurant on the street capacity wise unless it's replacing the Indian or Chinese?

It would be very brave to put in a whole kitchen anywhere else on the street with the buildings having very small capacity.

Xenji wrote:
    It would be very brave to put in a whole kitchen anywhere else on the street with the buildings having very small capacity.

Former Indian. It's called il Castillo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

ice ring coming back this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Is there something happening with the old Imperial Hotel in the Mall..? Saw scaffolding up there earlier..would be great to see it back..

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Thou

UsBus wrote: »
    Is there something happening with the old Imperial Hotel in the Mall..? Saw scaffolding up there earlier..would be great to see it back..

As per local press outside is being renovated redecorated /painted.
    And not before time, hopefully it won't take long before it's put to proper use, as in something that befits the associated history and it's administrative location, for the town and County.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Thou wrote: »
    As per local press outside is being renovated redecorated /painted.
    And not before time, hopefully it won't take long before it's put to proper use, as in something that befits the associated history and it's administrative location, for the town and County.

You will be waiting I’d say for the council to do anything with it it will cost a serious amount to get that building back to proper use.cant see the council doing that when they are up to there balls in dept as it is

naughto wrote:
    You will be waiting I’d say for the council to do anything with it it will cost a serious amount to get that building back to proper use.cant see the council doing that when they are up to there balls in dept as it is

I'd say you are right unfortunately. Can't see more than a lick of paint happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

They leave it to rot and then decide to throw a lick of paint In late November of all times of the year to be painting outside!

Presumably they're only doing it under some pressure from the Chambers/crowds at the ice rink.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Use up the last of the years budget

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

Lukekul wrote: »
    Use up the last of the years budget

That's what i was thinking also, if they don't spend it, they won't get it next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

I understand why they need to spend the money but the disruption is crazy. That Ballyvary work had a huge tailback from Horkans to the Abbeybreaffy turn off. They have dug up every road into Swinford it seems. Foxford also being dug up at the moment. I suppose forward planning was never the councils strong point

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

statto25 wrote: »
    I understand why they need to spend the money but the disruption is crazy. That Ballyvary work had a huge tailback from Horkans to the Abbeybreaffy turn off. They have dug up every road into Swinford it seems. Foxford also being dug up at the moment. I suppose forward planning was never the councils strong point

The council doesn't have anything to do with resurfacing those roads. National roads are all the responsibility of TII. No surprise that all these upgrades are coinciding with the general election next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    The council doesn't have anything to do with resurfacing those roads. National roads are all the responsibility of TII. No surprise that all these upgrades are coinciding with the general election next year.

Ah I always thought these were council initiatives outsourced to private contractors so apologies to any local public servants I offended. TII need to have some forward planning then!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

I'd be thinking that all of these road upgrades are coincidentally priced into the "overpriced" Turlough to Westport road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I'd be thinking that all of these road upgrades are coincidentally priced into the "overpriced" Turlough to Westport road.

A lot of that messing is long gone with new European procurement routes.

It used to be done a lot with schools and other publicly funded projects where you'd get a big price for one thing but put some money to something else.

Also the whole world has gone health and safety mad. If you had an accident resurfacing a road in Swinford when you got money to build a road from Castlebar to Westport you'd be f***ed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

Why are they resurfacing roads that do not need to be resurfaced?
    Turlough to Ballyvary was perfect which could not be said for some other parts of the N5

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

ethical wrote: »
    Turlough to Ballyvary was perfect which could not be said for some other parts of the N5

Is there any politicians living out that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

naughto wrote: »
    Is there any politicians living out that way?

maybe p flynns missus is going chopping down the forest and the road needs shoring up to get the trees out.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

I wouldn't say it was perfect, the stretch approaching ballyvarry was quite rough. What part of the N5 has a worse surface?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

It’s a joke....Swinford, N17 near Kilkelly and countless others gettings re surfaced. Some roads in west Mayo are like Bagbad. Drove Claremorris to Ballinrobe today and for such a busy road it’s falling apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

yew_tree wrote: »
    It’s a joke....Swinford, N17 near Kilkelly and countless others gettings re surfaced. Some roads in west Mayo are like Bagbad. Drove Claremorris to Ballinrobe today and for such a busy road it’s falling apart.

But yet they resurfaced the road as you leave Ballinrobe out towards the racecourse and this road was more or less perfect. Might have needed it between the garage and the town but not to the extent they have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭RogerThis

What's the new building that's gone up beside The Ellison?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

RogerThis wrote: »
    What's the new building that's gone up beside The Ellison?

Scouts Den

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The Costa is flying up out by Woodies in Cbar. Could be open within the month by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Thou

Castlebar, Co Mayo, won the rising star award, for towns or urban areas that have significantly improved as a place to live, visit and invest

The accolade is in recognition of the town's commitment to community, retail and tourism development.

The judges were impressed with Castlebar based on an initial visit in September where they were shown around the town before a presentation was made. The judges returned a second time to consider the town for the Rising Star award based on what they saw.

In what was a strong category Castlebar overcame the challenge of areas such as the Dublin Docklands to win the award. The recent investment in the town by the likes of Carraig Donn and Meissner was a huge boost.

Bernard Hughes from the Castlebar Chamber of Commerce says it’s a recognition of all the hard work that has gone in over the years.

Belmullet was the other big winner on the night.
    The North Mayo community were winners of the Enterprise Town Awards in Connaught/Ulster region for towns with a population of less than 2,000.

"Taken from Midwest Radio and Irish Times"

What are peoples views on the Rising Star award,? County Town receives too much negative press in my opinion, in many respects unwarranted, good to see positive news story for once, especially coming from an outside source not affiliated to the town, discuss?

Good to see Belmullet also do well

Advertisement