Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Did I see that Belmullet gets €50k tourism investment as a result?
    Fair play to both towns. I'd love to know what Castlebar put through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Thou wrote: »
    What are peoples views on the Rising Star award,? County Town receives too much negative press in my opinion, in many respects unwarranted, good to see positive news story for once, especially coming from an outside source not affiliated to the town, discuss?

Not surprised, Castlebar has everything now that bigger cities have without the awful traffic problems that have plagued places like Galway city. Fantastic park and sports facilities in the centre of town, several shopping centres and an excellent ring road to get around town. The bypass should enhance the area as well.

It would be great for the town if it's motorway links could be upgraded. Hopefully the Atlantic corridor motorway will be extended north and connect Castlebar via Claremorris and the N5.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Green&Red wrote: »
    Did I see that Belmullet gets €50k tourism investment as a result?
    Fair play to both towns. I'd love to know what Castlebar put through

They are getting a 500k investment from Failte Ireland which is separate from what they won at the National Enterprise Town Awards which is ran by Bank Of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

UsBus wrote: »
    Not surprised, Castlebar has everything now that bigger cities have without the awful traffic problems that have plagued places like Galway city. Fantastic park and sports facilities in the centre of town, several shopping centres and an excellent ring road to get around town. The bypass should enhance the area as well.

It would be great for the town if it's motorway links could be upgraded. Hopefully the Atlantic corridor motorway will be extended north and connect Castlebar via Claremorris and the N5.

I wouldn't call the mall fantastic sports facilities are good no doubt, where are the shopping centres apart from the retail park and penneys? The ring road is far from excellent, i would argue its not the quickest way to get through or around the town.

There is upgrades planned for the N17, but it will never be motorway. The bypass should benefit castlebar greatly no doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

muddle84 wrote: »
    I wouldn't call the mall fantastic sports facilities are good no doubt, where are the shopping centres apart from the retail park and penneys? The ring road is far from excellent, i would argue its not the quickest way to get through or around the town.

There is upgrades planned for the N17, but it will never be motorway. The bypass should benefit castlebar greatly no doubt!

The mall is a lovely area and you won't such green areas are hard to find in town centres. It's a shame the council couldn't enhance it further by doing something nice with the Imperial. By park, the poster could mean to (or should have) include Lough Lannagh which is a great amenity right in the town.

There's no real shopping centre but there is great shopping options and it's all very convenient which people want. The ring road works well for certain areas but you have to remember that most towns are a nightmare for traffic so even if the ring road doesn't solve all problems, it's still a big plus. People come from all around to shop in the town, I know people from Sligo that used Castlebar as there base when fitting out there new home for e.g. loads of options and easy to drive around to them without have to get caught up in any real traffic.

Bypass should make it even better. The ring road can get busy at peak times and diverting Westport bound traffic will help a lot.

Good to see it getting recognition anyway. If the Council got the finger out and made a job of the Imperial and the Military Barracks, it would be huge for the Town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Hup Castlebar

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Can only help to get the recognition. People working hard to get Castlebar up there so fair play to them.

Would really like to see the greenway extended from Castlebar to link up with the Kilmeena/Westport/Achill link. People can then base themselves there and take in that whole area which will extend to Murrisk, Louisburg and to Achill.
    Lough Lannagh is fantastic and people want to use it, so an extension of it could only help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Stacks public house sold for what I'd have thought was a relatively low price?

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2019/12/13/4183512-landmark-pub-sold-at-auction/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

seligehgit wrote: »

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2019/12/13/4183512-landmark-pub-sold-at-auction/

Heard he bought it back

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

naughto wrote: »
    Heard he bought it back

Was it not “he”
    Selling it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

Forced sale. And no I don’t believe it was him. But I’d imagine he’ll be renting it off the new owner

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The Costa is flying up out by Woodies in Cbar. Could be open within the month by the looks of it.

Open now apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

It's open alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Mickeroo wrote:
    Open now apparently.

I was in a few days ago. Nice place for a big chain outlet.

seligehgit wrote: »

Didn't go for much in the end but an awful lot of work to be done on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Open now apparently.

:eek: €8.10 for a very bland take away coffee and a a rather nice tasted cheese and tomato sandwich but dont think Mulroys or Corrib Oil have much to worry about as regards the quick breakfast crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

:eek: €8.10 for a very bland take away coffee and a a rather nice tasted cheese and tomato sandwich but dont think Mulroys or Corrib Oil have much to worry about as regards the quick breakfast crowd

It was packed all day yesterday. The coffee was very sub par, tasted like peanuts. The staff were all very young.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭elderberry

Is the Petrol Station on the Turlough Road in Castlebar (close to Pontoon road junction) re-opening? Seems to be work going on there at the moment

elderberry wrote: »
    Is the Petrol Station on the Turlough Road in Castlebar (close to Pontoon road junction) re-opening? Seems to be work going on there at the moment

The rumour was Applegreen were going in there a while back but nothing happened.
    Could do with someone offering cheaper fuel prices in the town, might shake the cartel up a bit..

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Supposed to be opening up later this year..
    An ex-radio presenter's family to be running it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Lidl are seeking planning again in Claremorris,
    Same road as aldi. Seen in western people or conn telegraph this week

Supposed to be opening up later this year.. An ex-radio presenter's family to be running it

It's going to be a Costcutter shop not sure what fuel provider

There is planned in for 4 more large units up by Woodies and Harvey Normans.

John Hanley's on station road getting a complete revamp and extension too

It's going to be a Costcutter shop not sure what fuel provider

No harm, that whole area around there could do with a clean up, especially the Castlegrove apartments. Are they council or private housing.?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

UsBus wrote: »
    No harm, that whole area around there could do with a clean up, especially the Castlegrove apartments. Are they council or private housing.?

I'd imagine they're a mixture of private owned,private rental and social housing/council.

The area definitely needs a revamp.

How they got planning for Castlegrove... modeled on a shanty town in Brazil. Imagine the state of it in another 10 or 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

A shame they weren't painted in bright colours like these in Cobh 1740_nha10.jpg

rio-de-janeiros-rocinha-is-the-largest-shanty-town-in-south-america-picture-id918103584

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭spakman

PARlance wrote: »
    How they got planning for Castlegrove... modeled on a shanty town in Brazil. Imagine the state of it in another 10 or 20 years.

It's not what you know, it's...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭CtrlAltDelete

spakman wrote: »
    It's not what you know, it's...

....not even who you know...it's what you know about who you know :-)

Advertisement