Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

PARlance wrote: »
    How they got planning for Castlegrove... modeled on a shanty town in Brazil. Imagine the state of it in another 10 or 20 years.

Where is that?

yop wrote: »
    Where is that?

Here it is

15 Castlegrove
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/ws1DtrGeb4FFAZrA7

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭elderberry

aka "Beverly Hills"

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

There is planned in for 4 more large units up by Woodies and Harvey Normans.

John Hanley's on station road getting a complete revamp and extension too

I wonder who would fill the 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

I wonder who would fill the 4?

It might be case of build it and they will come kind of thing

• Advertisement

naughto wrote: »

Is this just talk you heard? i don’t see a planning application

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Nearly sure it was in the papers, or on their Facebook page, last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

naughto wrote:

Ya. Probably. I heard a rumour of JYSK.

Its on the council website. Site notice up there too

anyone have a link?

• Advertisement

Search counci planning for Kelem properties. File no. 19703

It's interesting that Tesco Ireland have submitted an observation. Regarding the development. They obviously don't want focus drawn away from their patch

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Search counci planning for Kelem properties. File no. 19703

It's interesting that Tesco Ireland have submitted an observation. Regarding the development. They obviously don't want focus drawn away from their patch

interesting.

one wonders what they were afraid of with a aldi,lidi and dunnes already in the town, they werent too bothered when they killed the town centre.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The irony of that!!
    What are Creans putting in there? 4 retail units but is there a significant tenant to affect Tesco?

yop wrote: »
    The irony of that!!
    What are Creans putting in there? 4 retail units but is there a significant tenant to affect Tesco?

iceland?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭CtrlAltDelete

naughto wrote: »

Ya, a real boom time development.. ghost units all over the country!

irishgeo wrote: »
    interesting.

one wonders what they were afraid of with a aldi,lidi and dunnes already in the town, they werent too bothered when they killed the town centre.

They didn't.

Did Tesco in Westport kill the Town centre ?

They didn't.

Not much open on the main street in Westport these days.

Not much open on the main street in Westport these days.

So main St Westport is dead also ?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Thou

Parking in the old Town centre is what's nailing it. Paid parking everywhere and retailers wondering why their businesses are failing. Oh well....

No doubt about it, this seems to be a major issue for retailers in the town. And as has been mentioned in this thread before, there being a lack of adequate retail space on Main St. has also held it back.
    Huge scope for developments either side of street, but for one reason or another nothing has gone ahead and there appears to be no willingness or plans by council to facilitate regeneration or enhance the area.
    Just keep facilitating rise in rates, rents, and insurance premiums, crazy stuff.

The barrack plans looked good but only a rough idea of what could be done in the grounds and area surrounding it, but the likely hood of that and Dalys regeneration going ahead are probably little to none.

I hate saying it but going up the Main St. Still makes for grim viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭spakman

Council need to decide what they want from main street. it's not going to be the main location for grocery or home goods - those days are gone.
    Maybe they should encourage its development as a cafe, restaurant, pub area. if it was pedestrianised, that could really take off.
    Anyrhing is better than e-cigarette and game swap shops!

• Advertisement

spakman wrote: »
    Council need to decide what they want from main street. it's not going to be the main location for grocery or home goods - those days are gone.
    Maybe they should encourage its development as a cafe, restaurant, pub area. if it was pedestrianised, that could really take off.

The council have killed most plans with huge parking levys and rates on developments which had to be appealed.

2 things that got planning but haven't started stautons development and the gavins bakery one. the council delayed both with huge parking levies.

spakman wrote: »

Half the town are obsessed with criticising the Council for widening the footpaths (less parking spaces) on Main Street and blaming that for its decline (as opposed to the numerous other global reasons main streets are failing).

I could only imagine the uproar if it was to be pedestrianised. It should be and it developments like you said should be encouraged.

I definitely think the street furniture doesn't help in it's current format on main St.

Also, if the parking tickets were universal around the town it would help also rather than having to get a new ticket each time you move car park.

An updated main St, with an incentivised "social quarter" would perhaps rejuvenate the area, scrap parking entirely on one side and on the other arrange the spaces at 45° angles to the buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

I definitely think the street furniture doesn't help in it's current format on main St.

Also, if the parking tickets were universal around the town it would help also rather than having to get a new ticket each time you move car park.

An updated main St, with an incentivised "social quarter" would perhaps rejuvenate the area, scrap parking entirely on one side and on the other arrange the spaces at 45° angles to the buildings.

They already got rid of parking on one side, thats how they widened the footpaths. The street isn't wide enough for 45 degree parking.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Main+St,+Gorteendrunagh,+Castlebar,+Co.+Mayo,+Ireland/@53.85756,-9.2974785,3a,75y,227.96h,82.75t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sY-uUZrHiJn3t8a6hUJoQjw!2e0!3e11!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fmaps%2Fphotothumb%2Ffd%2Fv1%3Fbpb%3DChEKD3NlYXJjaC5nd3MtcHJvZBIgChIJRdssGHVdWUgRBJ58TAWJld4qCg0AAAAAFQAAAAAaBAhWEFY!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x48595d75182cdb45:0xde9589054c7c9e04!8m2!3d53.8569993!4d-9.2981875

In my opinion, the reason the main street is left behind is that down around argos is much more developed over the last few decades. there is more shops down there. I can't see how parking is the problem, there is more parking close to main street than Argos with what i always call Hanleys carpark on one side and castle street car park the other side.

muddle84 wrote: »
    They already got rid of parking on one side, thats how they widened the footpaths. The street isn't wide enough for 45 degree parking.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Main+St,+Gorteendrunagh,+Castlebar,+Co.+Mayo,+Ireland/@53.85756,-9.2974785,3a,75y,227.96h,82.75t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sY-uUZrHiJn3t8a6hUJoQjw!2e0!3e11!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fmaps%2Fphotothumb%2Ffd%2Fv1%3Fbpb%3DChEKD3NlYXJjaC5nd3MtcHJvZBIgChIJRdssGHVdWUgRBJ58TAWJld4qCg0AAAAAFQAAAAAaBAhWEFY!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x48595d75182cdb45:0xde9589054c7c9e04!8m2!3d53.8569993!4d-9.2981875

In my opinion, the reason the main street is left behind is that down around argos is much more developed over the last few decades. there is more shops down there. I can't see how parking is the problem, there is more parking close to main street than Argos with what i always call Hanleys carpark on one side and castle street car park the other side.

Parking isn't the problem. All the closed shops are. The ecigs shops and charity shops aren't helping. How many ecigs and euro shops does a town need.
    The council trying to charge parking levies on developments hindered development. The place has more than enough parking.

Pedestrianize it and put a roof on it. open air restaurants, bars, music etc

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Parking isn't the problem. All the closed shops are. The ecigs shops and charity shops aren't helping. How many ecigs and euro shops does a town need.
    The council trying to charge parking levies on developments hindered development. The place has more than enough parking.

Yeah, there are ample spaces in castle street car park and the church car park. Only a 30 second walk from main street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

They didn't.

Yes together with high rents, Amazon, online buying and there wasnt much to buy in the shops anyway. Before Tesco came half the shops used to close for lunch.

Any way every dog has its day and Westport is starting to die as people tire of being sold the 'olde Ireland' theme which isnt even there anymore. It's all been replaced with glass and plastic.

If it wasnt for the pubs (Malloys) then Westport has nowt else to offer any tourist except high prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

Ah, another troll with literacy issues. Such a surprise.

• Advertisement

It might be bought but just letting an elderly resident stay for a while and then knock it.

Resident of that house isn't that elderly really.

Advertisement