Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Is there something going in beside McDonalds in Castlebar, bit of activity in there last few days clearing out and levelling the site

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Putting a proper surface on the car park?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

irishgeo wrote:
    Putting a proper surface on the car park?

I'd say so. There was one of those. Tidy up notices posted there by the the council a little while back

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Who owns that spot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

The carpark at Tesco Castlebar is going Pay & Display. Pay machines & signage is in place but covered with black bags.

• Advertisement

maudgonner wrote: »
    The carpark at Tesco Castlebar is going Pay & Display. Pay machines & signage is in place but covered with black bags.

1 euro an hour I think and it can be refunded if you spend 15 euro in Tesco.

15 euro is quite steep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

irishgeo wrote: »
    1 euro an hour I think and it can be refunded if you spend 15 euro in Tesco.

15 euro is quite steep

Interested to see how it works. So you purchase the ticket in advance? I presume as the machines are new they'll accept card. Then when inside you spend 15 euro and get a euro off the purchase price? Wonder how this will work with the self scanners.
    I'd be tempted to not bother with the ticket as I'm in and out in 10 minutes and my visits are usually from 7pm on when its quiet. Particularly if its 15 euro as the few bits of milk and bread won't come to that.

Pain in the ass really.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Dudda wrote: »
    Interested to see how it works. So you purchase the ticket in advance? I presume as the machines are new they'll accept card. Then when inside you spend 15 euro and get a euro off the purchase price? Wonder how this will work with the self scanners.
    I'd be tempted to not bother with the ticket as I'm in and out in 10 minutes and my visits are usually from 7pm on when its quiet. Particularly if its 15 euro as the few bits of milk and bread won't come to that.

Pain in the ass really.

Afaik: Pay in advance, ticket has barcode, scan barcode at self scan or till to receive discount/parking fee back (if spending €15+).

Simple enough really but it would be a pain if they didn't take cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Pain in the ass really.

first 15 mins is free anyway

Everyone will just park in dunnes and walk over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Everyone will just park in dunnes and walk over.

Are there not parking charges in the Dunnes Stores car park?

Far easier to pop across from Aldi.:D

first 15 mins is free anyway

Perfect!

seligehgit wrote: »
    Are there not parking charges in the Dunnes Stores car park?

Far easier to pop across from Aldi.:D

Even better the underground car park no one knows exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

I used to love parking up there when I had a nice sounding car, the diesel just doesn't give the same buzz.

Yikes the fumes can be extremely noxious in that car park.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Yikes the fumes can be extremely noxious in that car park.

Never been more than about 3 cars in it when I park there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Jaysus, shut the front door!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

ssssshhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Never been more than about 3 cars in it when I park there.

It's very handy never many in it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

PARlance wrote: »
    Afaik: Pay in advance, ticket has barcode, scan barcode at self scan or till to receive discount/parking fee back (if spending €15+).

Simple enough really but it would be a pain if they didn't take cards.

Pretty sure I saw Visa/Mastercard logos on a corner of the paymachine that the bin bag hadn't fully covered. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Thou

Passed the car park earlier seems more empty than it normally would most days during the week. Dunno if that's because of the weather or new charges. Surely this will have a knock on effect for all footfall in the area.

The free parking was very convenient, I'm sure for many they would park in Tesco and shop in Argos, Boots and Tesco itself or elsewhere on the road, the new charges could be a big disincentive to do so now. Who will be making money from this? and where is it going? to me the town looks very run down, streets look dirty and many old buildings in dilapidated state, seems there is no initiative to facilitate renewal of Castlebar.

I'm sure local businesses find it tough going with all rates, rents, insurance etc. At least if place was maintained a bit better or could see a plan put in place to improve things, it would soften the blow, but it all makes for grim viewing unfortunately.

Thou wrote: »
    Passed the car park earlier seems more empty than it normally would most days during the week. Dunno if that's because of the weather or new charges. Surely this will have a knock on effect for all footfall in the area.

The free parking was very convenient, I'm sure for many they would park in Tesco and shop in Argos, Boots and Tesco itself or elsewhere on the road, the new charges could be a big disincentive to do so now. Who will be making money from this? and where is it going? to me the town looks very run down, streets look dirty and many old buildings in dilapidated state, seems there is no initiative to facilitate renewal of Castlebar.

I'm sure local businesses find it tough going with all rates, rents, insurance etc. At least if place was maintained a bit better or could see a plan put in place to improve things, it would soften the blow, but it all makes for grim viewing unfortunately.
    Its tesco car park. The one next door is the town council

The free parking was being abused. Some days you could be driving around looking for a spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

At least if place was maintained a bit better or could see a plan put in place to improve things.

At least the council have finally chopped back the trees on the Lough lannagh road up to Casey's. Much brighter there now, they were let go for far too long..

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

UsBus wrote: »
    At least the council have finally chopped back the trees on the Lough lannagh road up to Casey's. Much brighter there now, they were let go for far too long..

Don't get why they did that, they were well back from the road as it was.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Don't get why they did that, they were well back from the road as it was.

Walkers and cyclists.

Kinda like this from a few months back https://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2019/08/23/4178639-state-of-mayo-greenway-route-described-as-appalling/

Better the trees get done now before they grow too wild.

How about the (new) paving and some of street furniture could definitely do with a bit of a power hose.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭CtrlAltDelete

Exactly. Eventually it will become obvious to the powers that be. The world is a changing place. People can do lots of shopping online. Nailing them with parking charges isn't going to attract customers. Look at the US as an example. Free parking at all the big shopping centres.

Exactly. Eventually it will become obvious to the powers that be. The world is a changing place. People can do lots of shopping online. Nailing them with parking charges isn't going to attract customers. Look at the US as an example. Free parking at all the big shopping centres.

Not sure I agree fully. Remember this is Tesco’s carpark and Tesco have an online presence and do home delivery in Castlebar.

While this might impact other shops around Tesco I don’t think it will impact Tesco itself and in fact as a shopper to it about 3 times a week on average it will make it more enjoyable as I’ll now get parking easier and for quick visits I’ll be in and out in less than 15 minutes not needing a ticket and for larger shops I’ll get the euro back. You can get a ticket with contactless and scan the ticket at checkout. Very easy. I do a lot of online shopping but they’re clothes, electrical and other items. Not groceries but if I was to get groceries delivered Tesco is probably one of the few options.

Boots have parking outside the door but people park in Tesco as it’s free. It’s to stop this type of messing.

If this was a council carpark I’d question the move but it’s not. It’s privately owned by Tesco and from their and their customer point it makes sense.

To the other smaller shops this will impact them but it’s the council’s job to help them not Tesco. If anything we should be lobbying local politicians and encouraging the council to make their carpark free. Remember the council have charged for years in carparks and onstreet around Castlebar and recently added Westport. In addition they didn’t give the free parking around the town in the run up to Christmas this year like they did previous years. If the council carparks were free Tesco wouldn't have had to make this move. I think we're blaming the wrong people here.

To the other smaller shops this will impact them but it’s the council’s job to help them not Tesco. If anything we should be lobbying local politicians and encouraging the council to make their carpark free. Remember the council have charged for years in carparks and onstreet around Castlebar and recently added Westport. In addition they didn’t give the free parking around the town in the run up to Christmas this year like they did previous years. If the council carparks were free Tesco wouldn't have had to make this move. I think we're blaming the wrong people here.

Point well made.
    Think it's been the general consensus that council have been hampering improvement and development in town, two on Main St. supposedly held up due to parking levies and, in some cases maybe contributing to closures. Rate increases again this year and aforementioned parking charges not helping, how do businesses and people respond? retail is already hard enough with online shopping and the West of Ireland not benefiting from same economic upturn as rest of country.
    Getting more difficult for small businesses all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Its tesco car park. The one next door is the town council

The free parking was being abused. Some days you could be driving around looking for a spot.

I'll hold my hand up, many a day I parked in there for an hour and a half/2 hours and didn't go near Tescos.

Advertisement