Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant suspected of stealing from others - Landlord obligations

Options
  • 09-07-2015 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Hi,

A friend of mine has told me that money has gone missing from her coat and her bag on two separate occasions in the last three weeks. She originally put it down to her carelessness but when she told one of the other girls in the house they said that money was taken from their room last week. They suspect the remaining flatmate and the guards have advised that they get surveillance cameras for their rooms. Does the landlord have any liability or responsibility here? If the girls approached him and asked him to evict the other tenant or fit locks to the bedroom doors is he obliged to do it or can he just turn his back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The landlord is not liable, so no.

Has your friend renting a room, or are they renting a house with other people? If the latter, you could try telling the person to get out, but other than that, can't see any end game except your mate moving to a new place.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

the_syco wrote: »
    The landlord is not liable, so no.

Has your friend renting a room, or are they renting a house with other people? If the latter, you could try telling the person to get out, but other than that, can't see any end game except your mate moving to a new place.

I had suspected so much. There are a few months left on their leases so nobody wants to lose a deposit by moving earlier. They are renting rooms in a 4 bed semi. I plan on calling at the weekend with a full set of BASTA keys and seeing what type of locks are in the doors (if any).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Who signed the lease? Was it joint, or separate ones for each room?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I had suspected so much. There are a few months left on their leases so nobody wants to lose a deposit by moving earlier. They are renting rooms in a 4 bed semi. I plan on calling at the weekend with a full set of BASTA keys and seeing what type of locks are in the doors (if any).
    Your mate can raise it with the landlord that they'd like out, as stuff is going missing. Was the suspected thief there before your mate moved in? I ask as there is a possibility that the last tenant moved out for the same reason. As for the other person "losing money", unless your mate knows them well, they could be the thief, so pointing the finger isn't a good idea without proof. Small hidden cam in the room may help ID the perp, but your mate can't tell anyone that you've installed the spy clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭baldbear

My mrs lived with a thief in a house share before. Small change from her wallet was going missing €5 an odd week and tshirts and jeans.

She thought it was carelessness until she arrived back early one Sunday & saw your one wearing her missing T-shirt.

The Mrs said nothing and one day entered your ones room found a few pair of her jeans and her t-shirts. She couldn't believe it!

Confronted her, told landlady who did nothing at all. Didn't evict her. So the Mrs moved out.

Your one wrote her a letter so the MRs left it in her old room so new tenant would know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement