Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain I own registered in someone elses name

Options
  • 09-07-2015 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question

I asked someone to register a domain name for me 2 years ago they registered it but when i done a whois on the name it's registered under their name and not mine even though i paid them for it. I was told this is common practice which i find hard to believe but is it legal ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

What kind of TLD are we talking, .com, .net, .ie etc? Who is responsible for renewing the domain with the hosting company?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

yoyo wrote: »
    What kind of TLD are we talking, .com, .net, .ie etc? Who is responsible for renewing the domain with the hosting company?

Nick

I'm responsible for renewing it and it's .com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Zorba wrote: »
    I'm responsible for renewing it and it's .com

I know the likes of Blacknight allow you to change the registered owner from within their Control Panel for .com and .net I think but it's not that straight forward for .ie

Don't know if it's the same for other hosting companies though.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement