Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are garages (especially main dealers) not interested in negotiating with customers?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What discount would you expect on new car if no trade in?
    What benifit of selling car privately ?
    Thanks,

Discount on what car? There is no one size fits all discount.

The benefits of selling privately is that the dealer doesn't have to buy your old car off you, spend money on tidying it up for resale and giving the next owner a warranty on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Thanks,

Like i said earlier every car is different and it depends on the offers available at any time from distributors or the dealer themselves. Generally speaking cheaper cars will have much smaller discounts available and the more expensive you go the bigger the discounts available.

Mine range from about €1,500 to €5,000 discount off retail prices

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭corcadorcha

What discount on 31 or 32k Avensis or Passat or new Superb...
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They are recently launched models that will have plenty of demand so discounts will not be huge on them. Certainly the new Passat and Superb will have no problems flying out the dealership doors. The rehashed Avensis to a lesser extent but will still have loyal customer demand but I'd say you have more chance with that than the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭sk8board

Thanks,

on a new bmw, which wasn't on the lot (i.e. factory), I got about 4-5% I think. If i picked something pre-reg on the lot, it would probably be a little more.

• Advertisement

Did this really happen?:eek:

Ah, all my examples were exaggerations of stories that I'd heard.

Mate of mine was flogging a BMW before. Not sure what model, but the going rate was about €20k I think. He was saying he had some chap out with him three times. Extremely interested in the car. Brought a mechanic with him, looked over it. Came back for a second test drive.

Came back a third time and spent ages going over the body work, service history, etc.

Then pulled out the "better ring my insurance company, cos Im just on a provisional" line. Rang his insurance and "sorry man, love the car but can't afford the insurance".

Spent hours with that chap trying to sell him the car and putting petrol in it for test drives. I'm sure had he known yer man was on his provisional license he wouldn't have entertained him as much in the first place, but sure there you go. One of the pitfalls of private selling.

Personally I've only sold 2 cars, and although I took a bit of a pounding on the price, I sold them both fairly swiftly.

Advertisement