Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting with pets

Options
  • 09-07-2015 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Moving to Dublin soon. 2 dogs are coming too. I have contacted numerous letting agencies about renting with the dogs. Get the thumbs down every time. It's unbelievable! Why not take an extra pet deposit to cover damages - if that's what they're worried about.
    Anyone have any ideas!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Widsy97 wrote: »
    Moving to Dublin soon. 2 dogs are coming too. I have contacted numerous letting agencies about renting with the dogs. Get the thumbs down every time. It's unbelievable! Why not take an extra pet deposit to cover damages - if that's what they're worried about.
    Anyone have any ideas!?

Forget apartments, look for houses and try to deal directly with landlords. Agents want an easy life and with such demand for property they have no problem letting to non pet owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

You're trying to source something in restricted supply, with huge competition with risk adverse vendors.

Try Daft and contact landlord directly. I'd expect to pay in the region of 2-3 months rent in a deposit I'm afraid.

In regards to apartments Dog may be specifically excluded from the head lease (the lease the owner has).

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Just say nowt and bring the dogs down after a week or so. Get a shed and keep them quiet as to not attract attention.

Just say nowt and bring the dogs down after a week or so. Get a shed and keep them quiet as to not attract attention.

Bear in mind under the RTA 2004 a LL (and tenant) can terminate the lease, giving 28 days notice for no reason within the first six months. While I understand your sentiment it's a risky strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

yeah , and your deposits gone day 1 then , and id expect to be turfed out the first time the landlord visits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If the landlord cops, the OP gets evicted minus their deposit.
    Moving to Dublin soon. 2 dogs are coming too.
    How big are the dogs? Get a house outside of Dublin in an area that has dog friendly parks where you can walk them on a lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Advocating fraud is not acceptable on this forum

Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Widsy97

Thanks for all the feedback. They are 2 small dogs. They have lived in apartments all their lives. They are not outside dogs but they do get long walks in the evenings. Lack of a yard wouldn't be too much of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

It's not that they're used to apartments, many apartments specifically ban pets and/or dogs.

I still wish you luck in finding a suitable house with an agreeable landlord - I'm a pet owner myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Do a search for 'pets allowed' as a facility search on daft.

Pet owning landlords are sympathetic to tenants with dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Thanks for all the feedback. They are 2 small dogs. They have lived in apartments all their lives. They are not outside dogs but they do get long walks in the evenings. Lack of a yard wouldn't be too much of an issue.

Landlords of apartment units are technically not "owners" of the property in the same sense as owners of houses; they have a lease with the Management Company, and have to comply with the rules of that lease.

A lot of apartment developments in Dublin have leases which prohibit pets, and consequently a landlord in such a development cannot rent to someone with animals or they are in breach of their own lease, and will have to suffer the consequences with the Management Co. It's not worth the hassle to them when in the majority of areas they'll have a long list of potential tenants who won't automically cause issues for them with the Management Co.

If time is any kind of factor, you're better to rule out apartments, look exclusively at houses, and be willing to stump up a substantial additional pet deposit upfront. If you offer this before they ask it of you, you will appear more confident that your dogs won't cause damage, and will be more likely to be considered by the landlord. If you have some freedom in terms of areas, one with less rental demand would also be beneficial.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

Bear in mind under the RTA 2004 a LL (and tenant) can terminate the lease, giving 28 days notice for no reason within the first six months. While I understand your sentiment it's a risky strategy.
    Does that apply to a fixed term lease? I thought a fixed term lease could not be broken by a landlord or tenant without first advising a tenant of the breach which was not remedied.

Does that apply to a fixed term lease? I thought a fixed term lease could not be broken by a landlord or tenant without first advising a tenant of the breach which was not remedied.

I'm open to correction. I wasn't aware you could contract out of the legislation, but I will freely admit to not reading the entire Act.

To be fair though I assume the OP wouldn't remedy the breach in question but that does not alter the fact you may be technically correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

If a landlord in apartment block leases a property and allows pets they themselves will be in breach of the apartment lease they have with the management company which will absolutely not allow pets and any subsequent lease from the landlord that allows pets(fixed term or not) would not be enforceable.

What would happen is that the management company will take action against the landlord and basically lock them (and you) out of the property until the breach of their lease is remedied and all costs paid.

Advertisement