Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treated Lawn.... Dealing with Patches

Options
  • 09-07-2015 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

I treated my lawn with a combination fertiliser and weed / moss killer... I then scarified the lawn and removed the majority of the dead moss... The issue now is the lawn is very bare in places where the moss was heavy (see photos).

Maybe a simple question but how do I re-sow? It is a matter of simply throwing down seed? Or do I need to prepare the soil first?

Also what I believe is 'creeping buttercup' is tough to kill... Any suggestions? This is getting pretty overgrown in the front lawn. I've pulled all by hand.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

I treated my lawn with a combination fertiliser and weed / moss killer... I then scarified the lawn and removed the majority of the dead moss... The issue now is the lawn is very bare in places where the moss was heavy (see photos).

Maybe a simple question but how do I re-sow? It is a matter of simply throwing down seed? Or do I need to prepare the soil first?

Also what I believe is 'creeping buttercup' is tough to kill... Any suggestions? This is getting pretty overgrown in the front lawn. I've pulled all by hand.

First question.. Do you have a dog? The damage in your pic looks like dog wee.

As for reseeding get a bag of John Innes No3 compost and mix it with grass seed of your choice. then "chuck" it on the bare areas and pat down and water.

Do not use any sort of peat based compost.

If you are getting lots of moss and weeds then the ground could be compacted. Use a garden fork to open up the ground (a job for the autumn).

I would also start cutting lower and more often. Most weeds wont survive regular low cutting (regular as in twice a week at 1/4 inch height if your lawn will take it)

Lawn sand around late Sept or early Oct or in the spring works wonders. I don't trust these all in one products!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Roosterreid

Thank you.....

No dog!

The garden was pretty heavily infested with moss / weeds so the weed killer combined with the rake scarifying has removed a lot of very heavy thatch, leaving the patches you can see. In other locations, the lawn is beautiful - there are just a few poor areas.

I think the soil conditions are clay'ish as I know the drainage is poor and it can pond slightly in heavy rain.

I will take your advice on opening up the ground also. :)

Advertisement