Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AAA

Options
  • 09-07-2015 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Had a guy call this evening looking for sponsorship for a charity called action against addiction. Apparently they are cycling from Kilkenny to Dublin some time. There were a car load of these guys in the estate and i don't think they were from kilkenny. I got a feeling that there is no cycle. Anyone know anything about them.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

mick kk wrote: »
    Had a guy call this evening looking for sponsorship for a charity called action against addiction. Apparently they are cycling from Kilkenny to Dublin some time. There were a car load of these guys in the estate and i don't think they were from kilkenny. I got a feeling that there is no cycle. Anyone know anything about them.

I would normally hear of any cycles, I'll ask around and find out but unless I hear different there isn't a cycle.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

There's a registered charity called Action Against Addictions North East Limited based in Drogheda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

so it's definitely not AnitAusterityAlliance, phew.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Based on the name its this crowd, http://actionaa.com/
    But there's zero about them running a cycle, infact there's zero info about them in general online other then general description,

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

I just had a feeling when he called....usually you get your mates to sponsor you if you are doing a cycle...you don't call around to houses of people you don't know....then looked out the window to see that the whole estate was been "done" by a load of these guys. I have a feeling that the route of the so called cycle might change, depending on the town they are blitzing on a given night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Didn't call to my house, but saw them walking around. Looked decidedly dodgy to me, a lot of these supposed charities load up the cars and travel long distances to fleece a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

I recall a similar caller to my door when I lived in Kilkenny approx 10 years ago.

Can't remember the name of the organisation but he claimed to be a former addict. He had a Dublin accent and claimed to be involved in some charity event (could well have been a cycle). He talked a good talk and I could see how easily people can be duped.

I'm suspicious of practically every caller to my door but there are a number of ways of handling these situations.

1. Never answer your door to an unexpected caller

2. Politely decline

3. Ask for ID - if they're legit they should have this. If that's not forthcoming ask for a contact number/website address/email address/brochure/bank account details, mindful of the fact that someone could be piggybacking on the name of a legitimate charity

4. Say that you never keep cash in the house but if they can provide the charity's address or bank account you will look at sending a donation their way

5. Explain that you have a friend in the Fraud Squad of An Garda Siochána with special responsibilities in the area of bogus charities and that he has asked you to gather contact numbers from all charity callers to assist in combatting fraud. Apologise profusely for making it look like you doubt his bona fides and see what the reaction is. Again, they should only be too happy to oblige if they're legit

6. Without putting yourself in any danger see if you can get any vehicle reg and report details to the Gardai if your suspicions are raised by the responses to your questions

And how about getting on to this group OP - contact details here http://actionaa.com/ - to see if there really was a cycle?

Advertisement