Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go Safe Camera Van living in Navan!

Options
  • 09-07-2015 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

See Go safe vans regularly round the town particularly going out the town on the old N3, Race course road, near Tara.
    Anyone been nabbed yet and what is the leadtime on getting the notification by post? May have been done by one myself early in the morning.
    Surprised at how long they are around the town as one could get caught any number of times without realising it until it is too late.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Fiskar wrote: »
    Surprised at how long they are around the town as one could get caught any number of times without realising it until it is too late.

Unless your driving within the legal speed limit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Vego wrote: »

Not a helpful comment, there are so many speed zones in Navan, 30, 50, 60, 80km. I am quite a careful driver with 0 points todate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Not a helpful comment, there are so many speed zones in Navan, 30, 50, 60, 80km. I am quite a careful driver with 0 points todate.

The point still stands. I've had two fixed penalty notices for speeding but only because I was over the prescribed limit. Speeding is the biggest killer on our roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

See Go safe vans regularly round the town particularly going out the town on the old N3, Race course road, near Tara.
    Anyone been nabbed yet and what is the leadtime on getting the notification by post? May have been done by one myself early in the morning.

I haven't personally been nabbed - but know someone who was with the speed vans and the post was out within 2 weeks. Thankfully they seem to park in the same place all the time so I'm aware enough to clock my speed when I'm in the areas that I'm used to seeing them - I don't consider myself to be a speeder and have no penalty points either but with these vans I would hate to get a fine for say doing 51 in a 50 zone or something similar!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

It's like shooting fish in a barrel for the speed vans on the N3. There's two fixed cameras as well between Navan and just after Rathbeggan, although one of them I think is broken. Seems a bit much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

ezra_pound wrote: »
    The point still stands. I've had two fixed penalty notices for speeding but only because I was over the prescribed limit. Speeding is the biggest killer on our roads.

Speed isn't the biggest killer on our roads, driver error is. Driver error is a factor in almost 80% of fatal road crashes. Bad judgement, inexperience, our terrible driver training for learners, bad road conditions etc
    A car doing 30km on the furthest right lane on a motorway is far more dangerous than someone doing 140km in the furthest left when possible and only using the next lane to the right to overtake when needed.
    Speeding can be contributing factor but not the cause of a crash.

And back to the OP, the only way to not get caught is obvious but almost everyone breaks a speed limit, even our poster with their "great" advise, and wants us to believe that they've only broken a speed limit once and that 1 time they managed to get caught.
    Most have an idea where the vans do be so if they find a more lucrative spot they'll return, these flash for cash vans have little to do with safety really.

An example is, further down the N3 before dunshsughlin, Google tells me the town land is called Berrillstown (after Ross Cross), there is usually a van parked in on the left.
    These vans can only park in designated areas where people have been killed or "black spots" as the old signs used to say. This area about 20 years ago a lady was killed coming out of dunshsughlin when she slid on ice. That really has nothing to do with why the van is there, it's there because it's a great spot, just over the crest of a hill on a road that used to be 60mph and is now 80km.
    Was it speed, the ice or inexperience in the driving conditions that caused the crash, maybe it was the fault of a tree? If the tree had grown 2 foot to the left it could be missed?

If there was a big sign at Dalgan every other day saying "Garda speed checks in operation on N3" would you speed at all on your way to Dunshsughlin? They'd only have to operate 1 a week at different times and it would eliminate speeding on that road, south bound anyway, so same exiting Dunshsughlin. Word would get around quickly about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

I agree about the whole speed is a killer idea, bad driving is worse and i see more of that than i do speeding!

That one out by the race course is a joke, the way the road is you are above it for a bit and can see it miles away.

After that theres a sign at the bus stop at the hill of Tara, but never seen a van.

Then as mentioned the one pulled in at the gate just after Dunsaughlin, just make sure to do 80 from Dundaughlin and as soon as you see the camera post coming in

The amount of people including the buses that are up your arse, if you want to go faster than I am legally doing pay 1.40.

I dont like the toll and it drives me mad it use to me, knowing how much faster the road was till the motorway went in, but it aint changing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

They are in positions where they can catch the most speeders. Its naff all to do with safety from what I see.

Look at all the fatalities at the racecourse over the years, even recent years. A true black spot. Theres even a safe spot it can park at across from the racecourse. That would be an excellent spot for it to park and where it should be. But no. Where does it park? At the bottom of a hill where the speed limit changes halfway downhill, where naff all has happened there in decades. Saving lives, my arse.

Same goes for collon, the van does be on the straight stretch outside the go kart track hidden off the road until its too late. Again once a 60mph road with no fatalities on that stretch cut to 80kmh

They recently zoned a local road of mine, I'm very interested to see where the van will set up

It's like shooting fish in a barrel for the speed vans on the N3. There's two fixed cameras as well between Navan and just after Rathbeggan, although one of them I think is broken. Seems a bit much.

Fixed cameras are broken. The van living constantly in Navan is a bit much

Driving at speed way over the speed limit and when road conditions are poor might be a more correct statement however the point of my thread is the notification period and the constant presence of the speed vans in the Navan area.

I would also add that these vans are not in position on wet and windy days when road conditions are poor (probably for safety reasons of the operator). They certainly are not in position on cold and frosty mornings possibly the same reason.

They are in my view revenue generating vehicles only for Messrs O'Brien (who owns the firm) and the Government

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Thats not a very fair comment Vego, Can you really say you have never gone over the speed limit yourself. Cause I know I have.

Sorry to have offended you and all with the comment, speed zones are there for a reason stay within the limits and all will be fine

I haven't personally been nabbed - but know someone who was with the speed vans and the post was out within 2 weeks. Thankfully they seem to park in the same place all the time so I'm aware enough to clock my speed when I'm in the areas that I'm used to seeing them - I don't consider myself to be a speeder and have no penalty points either but with these vans I would hate to get a fine for say doing 51 in a 50 zone or something similar!!

There`s something like a 10 percent margin if your in a 50 zone and accidentally doing 55 your safe enough not to get a letter but if your doing 60 expect a letter

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭drvr

The fixed speed cameras have been removed on the kells rd, ross cross, and dalgan park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

The speed vans are there for one reason and that is revenue.

They are not in areas where accidents are more common than others. Look at the spot for the van beside the lights in Kilcarn. You are approaching a set of lights anyway so everyone is slowing down. It is done to catch people out.

And as per on threads like these there are always those who have never made a mistake in their lives. Take the N3 for example. It is a road where it is completely safe to go over 80kph. Everyone does. Here's a good experiment for anybody. Go from Navan to Dunshaughlin on the N3 and never break 80kph, and count how many times you are overtaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Sorry to have offended you and all with the comment, speed zones are there for a reason stay within the limits and all will be fine

Many of the zones around Meath have changed recently, 50 kmhs have been extended into what used to be 60 etc etc, it's quite easy to make a mistake and yes they should be paying attention but IO'd rather they watched where they were going more than the signs at the side of the road.

Also for the sake of argument, what's the reason for the Kells road being reduced to 80kmh when it was 100 not all that long ago, just curious???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

bladespin wrote: »

Also for the sake of argument, what's the reason for the Kells road being reduced to 80kmh when it was 100 not all that long ago, just curious???

Basically it's an attempt to entice people onto the M3.

Another silly speed limit is the 60kph between Navan and Kilcarn on the Dublin Road. More than safe enough to do 70 or 80 kph.

bladespin wrote: »
    IO'd rather they watched where they were going more than the signs at the side of the road.

Probably best watching both where they were going and the signs ....i,e dangerous bends, t junctions, school ahead, etc etc

as for the question best of asking those who changed it to be honest about it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

I cant understand why some roads have decresed in speed limit, even though theres less traffic, as in old Kells road out of Navan, use to be 100km, now 80 km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

chrysagon wrote: »
    I cant understand why some roads have decresed in speed limit, even though theres less traffic, as in old Kells road out of Navan, use to be 100km, now 80 km/h

Its all down to road classification - the old N3 what was a National road was downgraded to Regional road status after the M3 opened. All regional roads have a speed limit of 80km......now why they downgraded the road to regional status is another question......might have been to try to encourage people to use the M3 or maybe due to finances as I imagine less money would be invested in a regional road than a national road...who knows!!

• Advertisement

Its all down to road classification - the old N3 what was a National road was downgraded to Regional road status after the M3 opened. All regional roads have a speed limit of 80km......now why they downgraded the road to regional status is another question......might have been to try to encourage people to use the M3 or maybe due to finances as I imagine less money would be invested in a regional road than a national road...who knows!!
    Has to be a money earner,push people onto the M3.

What really gets me is double toll if you use the M3(which should go further on).
    I think if say Navan toll to Kells toll is x time safely then once you use both in that time you don't pay both

The Revenue van was parked up on the old N3 just before you turn into Metges Road this evening. you would think they would have their quota filled by now.

Personally speaking, I have never ever seen a car crash there. I do recall at least 2 fatal collisions on the stretch between pedestrians late at night that resulted in 4 fatalities.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Basically it's an attempt to entice people onto the M3.

Another silly speed limit is the 60kph between Navan and Kilcarn on the Dublin Road. More than safe enough to do 70 or 80 kph.

Agreed, Its a case of slow them down on the old road to push them onto the M3 for the tolls.

Access wrote: »
    In fairness, that is a childish reply vego.

Yep ...can we stay on topic maybe in fairness an all ........Op I seen the van at johnstown today and I would agree that its position in relation to road safety has to be brought into question, directly after a 60 kmh sign and right at traffic lights ....surely a sign it is a money making position and not in the interest of road safety.:)

Well so far no letter in the post after 3 weeks, nothing worst than paying these FG-LG pension lining, water charging and property taxing ***k's any more than I can afford.

This camera treatment keeps up and I will be back on the Rossi bike, 0 points on that too and a whole lot less stressful.

Well so far no letter in the post after 3 weeks, nothing worst than paying these FG-LG pension lining, water charging and property taxing ***k's any more than I can afford.

You shouldn't get any at this point so... normally a week the last time one of my mates got hit for speed in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Biggest spots on that road are:

Heading towards Dunshaughlin, after Lismullen and right inside the sign for the speed camera.

Skryne, just after the big white house heading towards navan, thats a new one.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.579812,-6.587343,3a,75y,186.37h,70.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sdWNiMdJY6Y3PT43UzAdvkA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This one, in particular annoys me, as its right after a hill so it can catch unaware people:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.543441,-6.568297,3a,75y,134.68h,70.72t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soboZ9qXbZZErbDGaVBvFZg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

And lastly, this peach. This one nearly caught me as normally i would gradually let my speed wind down coming into navan. But noooooo....

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.630384,-6.659243,3a,75y,278.93h,80.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0v93hWMZPgXHUL0vPSCGYA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

He'll normally be sitting in behind the sign so you dont see him until the last second.

Special mention goes to the bastard that sits here though:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.632162,-6.663808,3a,75y,2.83h,71.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBjaF2PST0kE0lB65jd_fEg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I go up and down to herself in navan and never seen a camera anywhere but just after dunsaughlin.

These new places have me worried now

• Advertisement

Yes, know all 4 locations but was not aware they park at the 4th, they must be minting it. 3rd location is the one I was worried about as I was coming out of Navan from Metges Road and it was a red van parked as if outside a house.
    Seriously taking the fun as if there is any out of motoring

Advertisement