Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go Safe Camera Van living in Navan!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

nothing to do with accident black spots..just a cash cow

And just saw that van at kilcarn..60km/h zone near lights, stupid really, thankfully plenty of oncoming motorist flashing, good to see fellow motorist helping out each other,i have no interest helping this private company buy new vans..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Well Friday July 24th must be the first day in over 6 weeks that no camera van was on my route, either that r I missed them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

The amount of people who break the speed limit on the old N3 is crazy, driving at the speed limit the other day and I was overtaken several times on a short stretch! Not surprised that they're targeting it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭highdef

Seriously, are people chancing their arm by trying to get away with driving over the speed limit when the limits are very clearly signposted or are people just not paying attention to the speed limit signs? Neither of these are an excuse to be caught speeding. I really can't see why people are so hung up about being caught for doing something that they shouldn't be doing.

Just obey the rules of the road.....when you obtain your drivers licence, part of the deal is that you agree to obey the rules of the road. If you don't want to do that, hand your licence back and get off the road and let those who want to drive in a safe and legal manner get on with their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

highdef wrote: »
    Seriously, are people chancing their arm by trying to get away with driving over the speed limit when the limits are very clearly signposted or are people just not paying attention to the speed limit signs? Neither of these are an excuse to be caught speeding. I really can't see why people are so hung up about being caught for doing something that they shouldn't be doing.

Just obey the rules of the road.....when you obtain your drivers licence, part of the deal is that you agree to obey the rules of the road. If you don't want to do that, hand your licence back and get off the road and let those who want to drive in a safe and legal manner get on with their lives.

Because you never broke a speed limit or any rule of the road ever? You must be a terrible driver if you haven't.
    Driving in a safe manner sometimes involves breaking a rule or speed limit, common sense and cop on have as much to do with driving as rules do.

Irish people are obsessed with "speeding kills". Why is it in countries like Germany you will be pulled over by the Polizei quicker for being in the wrong lane on a motorway than for speeding in the correct lane?
    Bad driving kills, drivers who are oblivious to everything else going on around them are the most dangerous on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Seriously,.

Highhorse riders to the right please ===>

niallam wrote: »
    drivers who are oblivious to everything else going on around them are the most dangerous on the roads.

.....such as drivers who are unaware that they are breaking the speed limit on any given stretch of road. If someone gets caught and then says "I didn't realise that the limit was xx kmph", then the chances are that they weren't paying attention and were oblivious to their surroundings.

For the record, I do stick to the speed limit all the time except when conditions do not allow me to do so safely. Perhaps I am an exception to the general rule. I don't like to drive slowly. I like to drive as quickly as I can do so whilst still obeying the rules of the road.

A recent example would be the recent roadworks on the N3 inbound before Blanchardstown (not sure if the roadworks are still ongoing). Speed limit went from 120 to 80 and then down to 60. I matched my speed to what was posted and had cars flying past. Had any of those people been caught, they would have said that it was "shooting fish in a barrel" when in fact it was because they made a conscious decision to break the speed limit and were well aware of the consequences should the be caught. The speed limit signs could not be missed so there was no argument.

The reasoning behind any speed limit is irrelevant. You still need to obey them. I really hate some of speed limits which are set wayyyyyy to slow but that's just the way it is. I build a bridge and get over it.

Lets take a trip into Dublin, if one goes on the N2 it is a normal 100kph speed limit, if we go on the old N3 it is a poorly 80kph when in my opinion both roads are the same standard.
    Lets take another example, why is the R153 Navan to Kentstown road the same speed limit as the old N3 and in my opinion correct for the class of road it is. The limit on the old N3 should be 100kph, it has been dropped purely to get people onto the M3 who then come off at Dunshaughlin to avoid the toll and the camera vans.

Also, comparing the old N3 to the N2, I have never seen a camera van on the N2. Their pitch is the old N3 to catch cars on a safe stretch of road nudging above the paltry 80kph limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

.....such as drivers who are unaware that they are breaking the speed limit on any given stretch of road. If someone gets caught and then says "I didn't realise that the limit was xx kmph", then the chances are that they weren't paying attention and were oblivious to their surroundings.

Dash and speedo watching instead of road watching...

99% of people caught speeding in an 80km zone as well aware of their speed, the only one they'll lie to is a Garda if pulled over.
    I break 80km speed limits, I break 100km speed limits, I break 120km speed limits. I don't go out intentionally to do it but drifting over a speed is very easy unless you use a speed limiter.
    I don't break 50 and 60km limits, I believe they are there for a good reason.

I got 2 points the first month they were introduced doing 61 in a 50 where they had that day extended the 50 out further. It was in Ratoath a long time ago :)

Back to the original point of this thread though these vans are still being stuck in places to make money rather than keep roads safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Fiskar wrote: »
    Lets take a trip into Dublin, if one goes on the N2 it is a normal 100kph speed limit, if we go on the old N3 it is a poorly 80kph when in my opinion both roads are the same standard.
    Lets take another example, why is the R153 Navan to Kentstown road the same speed limit as the old N3 and in my opinion correct for the class of road it is. The limit on the old N3 should be 100kph, it has been dropped purely to get people onto the M3 who then come off at Dunshaughlin to avoid the toll and the camera vans.

Also, comparing the old N3 to the N2, I have never seen a camera van on the N2. Their pitch is the old N3 to catch cars on a safe stretch of road nudging above the paltry 80kph limit.

The NRA is no longer in charge of maintaining the ols N3 and it is now downgraded to a regional road rather than a national one... As a result there is no guarantee that repairs, signage etc meets the required standard for a National Primary Route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

I have seen plenty of camera vans on the n2 ...at the snailbox turn-off and that big bend near ballymagarvey village

Vego wrote: »
    I have seen plenty of camera vans on the n2 ...at the snailbox turn-off and that big bend near ballymagarvey village

Cherry picker every few days.

But the fact that the vans are only a few metres inside the 60km/h sign says a lot, you have to slam on to be compliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

You only get caught if you break the speed limit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

DanWall wrote: »

Cheers for clearing that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

DanWall wrote: »

True but I/anyone would question the one parked on the n3 at johnstown ....at the moment there is a big road diversion sign blocking the 60 kmh sign on the left and tree branches blocking the one on the right so you only get to see the 60 sign at the last min and directly after the sign is the truck ....so while the vans are there to deter drivers from speeding you have to say anyone "caught" at that particular site would have a valid reason to be p**sed off

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

chrysagon wrote: »
    But the fact that the vans are only a few metres inside the 60km/h sign says a lot, you have to slam on to be compliant!!
    A few metres of the speed limit that increases, surely?
    The opposite would be unbelievable unless I saw for myself.. :o

They do little or nothing to deter speeding in general IMO much better for practicing safe distances, you only need to get surprised once by a nervous Nelly slamming on their brakes (often while well within the limit) to start leaving more room (no bad thing) but with them starting to pop up on motorways my bet is they will cause a big accident sooner or later.

Back at the bottom of Proudstown hill over the weekend, gladdened the heart the amount of vehicles flashing, the full gambit from boy racer to granny, amazing how these things have rebuilt the motoring community :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

bladespin wrote: »
    Back at the bottom of Proudstown hill over the weekend, gladdened the heart the amount of vehicles flashing, the full gambit from boy racer to granny, amazing how these things have rebuilt the motoring community :)

A completely lousy spot just to generate funds with a badly placed speed limit. Its always there late on a Sat night to catch the taxi drivers :mad:

As I always said, why not have it at the racecourse where it's needed, the real accident black spot?

Saving lives, my arse

Nice and windy the last two nights, that usually means no vans parked out for safety reasons. They wouldn't want an old tree falling onto the vehicle :rolleyes:

Well the revenue van was parked behind all those lovely signs as you come into the 60 KPH Zone before the Metges road turnoff yesterday evening and this evening. That's 2 days on the troth.
    He seems to have found a hovel he is happy with but thankfully most of road going fraternity keep one abreast of this menace that threatens to lighten ones pockets and fence one into submission.
    Where is the RISE campaign these days, did they emigrate too, they were quite in the public eye at the time?

Well the revenue van was parked behind all those lovely signs as you come into the 60 KPH Zone before the Metges road turnoff

Are any of those lovely signs speed limit signs displaying the number 60 on them? Just wondering how you know that you are going into a 60 kph zone and if it is not signposted, then I would not be too happy!

Are any of those lovely signs speed limit signs displaying the number 60 on them? Just wondering how you know that you are going into a 60 kph zone and if it is not signposted, then I would not be too happy!

In my petrol vehicle I like to wind down when I hit the 60 KPH not have to jump on the brakes because revenue van man is parked behind some signs.

Anyways this a Meath forum and we drivers in Navan don't want camera vans parked here day in day out on what is a safe stretch of road. I see you hail from North Kildare, are you just trolling? If you are then I will report to the mods.

Go safe vans hiding, complete failure of duty, their whole reason from being is to improve speed compliance not to trap the unsuspecting or even the stupid. If they are actually doing their job then their catch rate should be very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

First time seeing the van just after coming thought the lights at Jonhstown etc.

No speed limit before or around it, the next limit is 80 a few feet after it.

In my petrol vehicle I like to wind down when I hit the 60 KPH not have to jump on the brakes because revenue van man is parked behind some signs.

Anyways this a Meath forum and we drivers in Navan don't want camera vans parked here day in day out on what is a safe stretch of road. I see you hail from North Kildare, are you just trolling? If you are then I will report to the mods.

Postal address is a Meath address, geographically in Kildare so I can probably get away with saying Meath or Kildare :)

jeffk wrote: »
    First time seeing the van just after coming thought the lights at Jonhstown etc.

No speed limit before or around it, the next limit is 80 a few feet after it.

There are speed limits everywhere. To say that there is not a speed limit before or around it is simply ludicrous. If the 80 speed limit sign is shortly after where the van was, then it's most likely that 80 is only allowed after that sign.
    As you're coming from a built up area, the speed is likely to 50 or 60 before it. I don't know Navan that well but as far as I remember that if heading towards Dublin from the town, it's a 50 until around about the Ardboyne Hotel, 60 from there until shortly after the Johnstown turn (after crossing the Boyne).....however from past experience, a lot of drivers along there are not very observant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

There are speed limits everywhere. To say that there is not a speed limit before or around it is simply ludicrous. If the 80 speed limit sign is shortly after where the van was, then it's most likely that 80 is only allowed after that sign.
    As you're coming from a built up area, the speed is likely to 50 or 60 before it. I don't know Navan that well but as far as I remember that if heading towards Dublin from the town, it's a 50 until around about the Ardboyne Hotel, 60 from there until shortly after the Johnstown turn (after crossing the Boyne).....however from past experience, a lot of drivers along there are not very observant.

So you think the few feet from where the van is to the 80 sign is what speed?

Advertisement