Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quoting newspaper articles

Options
  • 09-07-2015 8:58pm

This has come up on a thread within After Hours, about the quoting of newspaper articles. I know a while back there was some brouhaha (I love that that's an actual word, never knew!) and there were worries that were copyright infringement, even if you link back to the original article/posting?

I'd love some official clarification on this and whether there's a blanket ban on all such articles, or whether it's OK to post a snippet from it?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

All you need to know here...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77390771

Still in effect afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Am I the only one who would like to see an instaban* on anyone posting a link without a synopses for those of us who can't/won't click on the link - including youtube links?

* This might be a bit harsh but I'm old and cranky.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

With YouTube links, not so much, but I can see what you mean with articles. It irks me when someone posts a news article, but doesn't provide any form of a synopsis. Not even an opinion, because I don't necessarily think that one is required when doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

OldGoat wrote: »
    Am I the only one who would like to see an instaban* on anyone posting a link without a synopses for those of us who can't/won't click on the link - including youtube links?

* This might be a bit harsh but I'm old and cranky.

Being old and cranky aside, if you can click on a boards.ie thread title, why can't/won't you click on a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

For an example - some companies restrict what gets through firewalls and what does not. Boards.ie may pass but media and entertainment sites get blocked.
    Or
    My phone is so old that it takes two and a half hours to load a newspaper article.
    Or
    I hate clickbait.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Being old and cranky aside, if you can click on a boards.ie thread title, why can't/won't you click on a link?

Sometimes articles are 5 or 6 pages long.

I've had to warn in politics about this stuff again. We aren't a newsfeed site and as it's politics, we request users to give a few lines on it.

As for an OP, we'd allow a bit from the original article as long as a link is provided and the posters gives a view on the piece.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

K-9 wrote: »
    Sometimes articles are 5 or 6 pages long.

I've had to warn in politics about this stuff again. We aren't a newsfeed site and as it's politics, we request users to give a few lines on it.

As for an OP, we'd allow a bit from the original article as long as a link is provided and the posters gives a view on the piece.

It's the same in AH - we aren't a news/link dump. You need to give your opinion on something if you go to the bother of posting. You cant just drop a link and say "Thoughts?" or something equally annoying after it.

Regarding the article - we're still operating on the info posted in Dav's link above. You need to provide the link, and max a paragraph or two. Common sense applies - giving the general jist of the article is fine, and then the reader can click the link and continue to read in more detail id they'd like to.

Advertisement